HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 3:29 AM
Bionic Boogie

SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 3:51 AM
Yippie Ka Yay!

Thanks for the picture. Every week or so, could somebody post it.

Contestant's answer: Because they have no balls to scratch?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI2015 View Post
Thanks for the picture. Every week or so, could somebody post it.
http://www.earthcam.net/users2/inter...2&clientid=158

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 6:03 AM
Lost and Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnr_ss View Post
Wow, thanks for the link dude.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 7:22 AM

That's the single funniest thing I've ever read in a forum. I can't believe that actually happened.

I swear to God I'm trying to focus on the thread.... AH CAN'T!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 4:16 PM

Concrete Day

There is a large concrete pour going on today on the west side of the FT. Looks like the foundation is almost done!!

I suppose the next thing is to build the supports for the steel columns on the west and east (and north?) sides so that the steel columns can be erected.

After that, upwards and onwards?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 7:00 PM
I love boxes.

How high will be the observation deck ?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 8:35 PM

It'll be as tall as the original one.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 9:10 PM
I love boxes.

Any idea how much time we may have to wait to see the thing rising up on the construction site?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 1:25 AM
BANNED

Next year.

That is when we'll see the steel start to rise above street level.

Realthang, from what I heard, the entire steel base is supposed to be encased in concrete. But I don't think that will start happening until more steel arrives for the base.

Last edited by Daquan13; Jun 11, 2007 at 3:57 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 9:28 AM

They´re just starting with deconstruction of south staircase at south tower. There is a black wall around it.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 9:35 AM

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 10:38 AM
Beat it, bi(t)ches.

Kaaba!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 7:58 PM
BANNED

I never even knew that was still there!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 1:01 AM

Giant Crane

Hmmmm, over by the survivors staircase they have constructed a very large crane... purpose???

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 1:11 AM
BANNED

You must be thinking of the machine that is used for lowering the rebar grids into the trench for the slurry wall?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
You must be thinking of the machine that is used for lowering the rebar grids into the trench for the slurry wall?
No... this is a new crane that they constructed Sunday (today). Its a red crane that has a triple length boom. Long enough to reach the far end of the temporary subway station?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 2:43 AM
BANNED

Haven't seen it yet. Do you have a pic of it that you can upload?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Haven't seen it yet. Do you have a pic of it that you can upload?
First try at picture posting... be gentle. The crane is at the right side of the screen and extends up almost the entire right side of the screen. Starts near the survivors staircase.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 3:42 AM

Freedom Tower has a willing captive
Julie Earle-Levine, New York
June 07, 2007

MARC Colella knows a thing or two about pressure cooker work environments. The Melbourne-born structural engineer is in charge of New York's Freedom Tower, being built on the World Trade Centre site.
The Freedom Tower, also known as Tower 1, will be 105 storeys tall with a 120m spire, and will project the city's image of resilience after the September 11 terrorist attacks.

Colella's client for the tower is the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, and the architect is David Childs of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill.

The huge rebuilding project at the World Trade Centre site - where four new office towers, memorials and a Performing Arts Centre designed by Frank Gehry - is well under way.

As an associate for WSP Cantor Seinuk Structural Engineers Colella, 34, is working hard to ensure the Freedom Tower delivers the architect's vision. He is also overseeing three office towers, or 555sqm of offices, for developer Larry Silverstein, a memorial site and a structure to retain the Hudson River and the force of soil on the site. "After the destruction of the towers there is a 20m deep basement, what we call the bathtub, in that part of Manhattan.

"We have a huge involvement in the WTC rebuilding. The only area the company is not involved in is the transportation hub by architect Santiago Calatrava," Colella says.

Colella was working in London when the WSP Group acquired US company Cantor Seinuk, now WSP Cantor Seinuk. "I always wanted to develop a career in high-rise buildings, and I was offered the job."

He started working in 2002 on Building 7, the third building that collapsed, just north of the WTC site.

Colella heads a large team of engineers - about 10 on the Freedom Tower alone, and spends much of his time in offices overlooking the site.

"It can be difficult. It is an emotionally charged environment, but I tell my team this is just another building, and we have to get on with the job. I tell them not worry about the political aspects, or the emotions.

"I say, work with me guys, please. Don't feel that it is just an event that happened on American soil."

Colella often attends meetings about the memorials, involving families of people who died in the terror attacks.

"The memorial design has taken a long time but is finally moving forward. Most families have approved it, some individuals don't like it, but I think it is a fabulous design."

The foundation at the Freedom Tower is almost finished. "That is always a nervous time for a structural engineer and now all of our work is being constructed," Colella says. Public complaints about the long lead time have been frustrating.

"People are upset but they don't realise the infrastructure below street level is incredibly complex," Colella says. "A lot of agencies are involved, and a lot of interests."

Colella says criticism by some developers that the Freedom Tower is a mistake, or a legacy of poor planning and decision making, is unfortunate. "The architects involved in all of these towers are the best in the world, assembled to showcase their artistic style on one of the highest profile sites in the world. I like to call the site an architectural sculpture park."

The architects for Silverstein's three towers are Britain's Sir Norman Foster and Sir Richard Rogers, and Japanese architect Fumihiko Maki (of Maki and Associates).

There will be restaurants, below-ground shopping and access to subway trains, as well as the World Financial Centre in the Freedom Tower. Hotel developers are planning new hotel rooms that will help to revitalise Lower Manhattan.

There are also plans for new streets, footpaths, parks and transportation. The area remains a central business district, as big investment banks move back. Goldman Sachs is building a new, 186,000sqm headquarters in nearby Battery Park City, but the area is becoming more of a residential community than it was. According to the Downtown Alliance, a business group, the residential population has grown by 16,000 to 39,000 since the attacks.

Freedom Tower is expected to be completed in 2011 - on September 11. "We are still on target for that, but there won't be any construction above street level until the middle of next year," Colella said.

Does he lose sleep over the impending deadline? "Constantly. It is not a normal project, it is intense and we are working around the clock. When you pass a major deadline or submission, something bigger comes up, but it is a challenge. Aussies can do that, I am up for it."

Copyright - The Australian

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive