HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 2:27 PM

Seeing those links to the collection pieces makes me even more excited for this museum. It's going to be so rad. Just build it already!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 2:31 PM
Urbane observer

. . . and apparently the absolute requirement of a waterfront site wasn't so absolute after all.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 3:39 PM

its stunning that people would care so much about underutilized land and forgo a billion dollar donation to the city. Chicago is already behind compared to its peer cities in almost every metric...population, job growth...and there's no end in sight. Chicago honestly could use anything it can get.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 4:10 PM
BANNED

Ugh, i think preservationism is an ideal that we should aspire too, but too many times preservationists are irrational facists. Prentice was a battle worth fighting. It was a unique structure by a legendary local architect. And many other structures around the city are worth saving if not only to gaurantee the city's rich architectual palette. But protecting a parking lot that hosts raunchy tailgating brofests - at least i think this is the case - is NOT a battle chosen wisely. As well as spoiling a chance to host what will be the most popular presidential library of our age. In both cases there is nothing to lose and everything to gain. I know this is just a rant and i'm preaching to the choir, but fuck you, preservationists. You undermind your credibility with assinine purest claims. You cry wolf at the wrong time and then when we need you your legitimacy is already undermined.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 7:53 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
. . . and apparently the absolute requirement of a waterfront site wasn't so absolute after all.
Lucas wanted a site with natural beauty. In Chicago, the lakefront is the only place that qualifies.

LA with its rugged mountains has more choices, especially because their prime mountaintop real estate is not monopolized by the government and is open to people like Getty or now Lucas that want to bestow a gift on the public.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 8:22 PM
The City

^ It's amazing that Chicago is now at risk of losing 2 major institutions (Obama Library and this). Even though Lucas is not actually threatening to bail for LA, the fact that he is already talking about it as a "possibility" means he is already working on his back up plan. So should the Chicago thing get really annoying or take too long, he may not even bother to wait for a resolution before making up his mind to move his museum elsewhere. The fact that he is 70 years old has got to be something on his mind as well.

Oh well, at least we have the observation deck at the Willis Tower

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ It's amazing that Chicago is now at risk of losing 2 major institutions (Obama Library and this).
If Rahm gets reelected that risk will be exponentially mitigated in my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 11:15 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
LA with its rugged mountains has more choices
On the USC campus?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 12:56 AM
BANNED

I don't think Rahm will not not win re election[ he alone has the millions in his war-chest and not any others at this point] and overall both museums will get done

There is too much money at stake for the entire region not to get them both done one way or another

Last edited by bnk; Jan 18, 2015 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 1:27 AM

The one thing that pisses me off about some people in Chicago is that they can't think of the big picture. They'd rather have a fucking parking lot than a museum. This is one trait that people make fun of time and time again from other areas and as much as I love my city, I have to agree with them.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 1:34 AM
Urbane observer

^And the thing that pisses me off about some people on SSP is that they don't understand the concept of being guided by principles; that some things shouldn't be traded for a mess of pottage.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 2:27 AM

Quote:
^And the thing that pisses me off about some people on SSP is that they don't understand the concept of being guided by principles; that some things shouldn't be traded for a mess of pottage.
What principles? Giving up a parking lot for a basically $1 Billion private investment that will generate new jobs and revenue for the city that will actually also continue the parkland that it's within that wasn't there before?

It's sad that people would rather have a parking lot and claim it's parkland because it's in a park than do something more useful with it than tailgating a few times a year.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's sad that people would rather have a parking lot and claim it's parkland because it's in a park than do something more useful with it than tailgating a few times a year.
This.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 2:57 AM

Principles? You mean like bettering our city by attracting and building top tier institutions? I honestly have no idea how anyone sees this as any different than Soldier Field, Shedd, Field, and Adler. These people must be insane...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphile View Post
Good... not because I hate the museum, the original design is incredible, but if forward thinking is to only have a home on the coasts, then fuck Chicago and the lamest part of the country surrounding it.
Uh, did you even see the rendering of the museum proposed for San Francisco? It was the opposite of forward-thinking.

This is the second disparaging comment you've made about Chicago/the Midwest in the past few days. As with the other instance, you don't have your facts straight, and it seems like you're more interested in peddling a biased narrative than providing an insightful analysis.

Anyway, I'm not surprised by this. Lucas must have been expecting a warm welcome. I mean, who in their right mind would value a parking lot over a cultural institution? What does surprise me is just how many people do. (And make no mistake: that's what this boils down to. I mean, if the city loses the museum, it's not like the parking lot will be redeveloped into actual parkland anytime soon. Or ever.)

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 10:42 PM
Urbane observer

Areas aren't actual parkland unless they're covered with turf?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 10:51 PM

Guys, thanks for motivating me. For what it's worth, I just wrote a message to Rahm and to my alderman voicing absolute support for this museum on the proposed site.

I have no idea if those messages will matter one bit or do any good, but I am sick of hearing about the sanctity of a fucking parking lot tarted up as if it were pristine fucking wilderness.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 12:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Principles? You mean like bettering our city by attracting and building top tier institutions? I honestly have no idea how anyone sees this as any different than Soldier Field, Shedd, Field, and Adler. These people must be insane...
This.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 1:51 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
You've said this on a couple of occasions. That parking lot is used primarily for football parking, and secondarily for private rental events. There is very little about the land use that is public or open to all, at least not without a hefty entrance fee.

Meanwhile, there is ample tradition to support the idea that museums, even privately-managed ones, are a public use. For many years they even demonstrated their public nature by offering free admission to Illinois and/or Chicago residents.

There is no clear right and wrong on this issue, but precedent definitely leans in one direction.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 2:27 AM

Quote:
You're reaching here just to find something wrong about getting rid of a parking lot because it's next to the lakefront. Okay, so let's start calling all surface parking lots parks then because there's almost no difference in and of itself in the end between this parking lot and the Woodfield Mall parking lot. Let's not forget that the project is going to create new actual green space and park land that wasn't there before and merely a fucking parking lot.

It just blows my mind that you want to keep a parking lot instead of allowing a top tier institution to be created while creating jobs and millions of dollars in revenue for the city that needs it while actually creating NEW parkland that wasn't even there before that will actually make the lakefront look better and add more greenery. And on top of it, the city isn't even funding the project itself. It's a fucking GIFT to the city, and a big one at that. This is what I'm talking about with people messing with the progress of the city. They'd rather have a parking lot that is underutilized than yet another global type of institution.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive