HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 6:34 AM

Last edited by djlx2v2; Apr 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlx2v2 View Post
Wow, that's great! The WTC site could use something nice like a mixed-use hotel, especially after all that drama with the mosque thing. I certainly hope it is a safe investment, I know a lot of New Yorkers are hungry for work but granted the economy has made the reality of backing behind investments just look dubious sometimes.
I was talking about the WTC site in New Orleans.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 4:50 PM
-

I forgot to say April Fools.,.. lol

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I forgot to say April Fools.,.. lol
funny! i'm dying over here!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
I was talking about the WTC site in New Orleans.
I know, that one is really lovely. I have seen some beautiful pictures of it. I am going to look at them more, though right now I am looking again and again at the pictures of NYC cranes.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 3:59 PM

New Developments

Hey guys, I've got two new construction projects that I can't figure out.

1) Does anyone know what is going on at the corner of Chartres and Monegut? I saw it was surrounded by fencing with Gibbs construction signs. It's a big brick building that I think used to be a Molasses factory.

2) What's with all the construction along the I-10 by the Jeff Davis overpass? It is right up along the sound wall and looks like it may be incorporating the tracks in some way...

BTW, real excited about all the new developments in the pipeline for downtown. Rouses, Southmarket, Entergy Power Plant (even if it's a bass pro shop), Loyola Street Car, Rampart Street Car, Hyatt, Championship Sq, Wiznia is finally moving forward, HRI's Capital One Building, ther riverfront, not to mention the bio/medical district, and the list goes on. Keep it coming NOLA!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 4:42 PM

Development idea

With the Corps of Engineers finishing the Industrial Canal/ Intracoastal Waterway storm surge gates, I was wondering if anyone thought it could be a good idea to start turning some of the abandoned wharves and waterfront into condos/million dollar houses? Other cities, especially Miami, have capitalized on developing their Intracoastal Waterway, and this could be New Orleans' first truly safe waterfront to develop, since it will be safer in a storm. Thoughts?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
With the Corps of Engineers finishing the Industrial Canal/ Intracoastal Waterway storm surge gates, I was wondering if anyone thought it could be a good idea to start turning some of the abandoned wharves and waterfront into condos/million dollar houses? Other cities, especially Miami, have capitalized on developing their Intracoastal Waterway, and this could be New Orleans' first truly safe waterfront to develop, since it will be safer in a storm. Thoughts?
My first thought was having to clear the soil of toxic waste ooze from all the oil leakage that might've happened. That's expensive to do.

My second thought was, would it actually be nice to have a house overlooking the industrial canal? I don't exactly think of it is as being picturesque. Quite the opposite, actually. Am I incorrect?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camkazaam View Post
My second thought was, would it actually be nice to have a house overlooking the industrial canal? I don't exactly think of it is as being picturesque. Quite the opposite, actually. Am I incorrect?
No, you're absolutely correct, but there's nothing stopping it from looking picturesque in the future.

A development of homes, condos, boat docks, and retirement communities could be interconnected with linear parks, trees, bike paths, and have a stunning view of ship/barge traffic. Furthermore, if the bridges along the canal were repainted regularly (the legislature has voted to entirely replace the Florida Ave. bridge), the view has the potential to be stellar. I think another big catch would be the fact that your boat could be in Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Borgne, the Gulf of Mexico, or the Mississippi River within a few minutes.

The main point is that New Orleans has no true waterfront property, except for one half of Bayou St. John - which is end to end multi-million dollar homes. Developing some of the Industrial Canal/Intracoastal would allow for large waterfront developments with enormous lots.

Last edited by Blitzen; Apr 3, 2011 at 8:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 10:25 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolaproud View Post
Does anyone know what is going on at the corner of Chartres and Monegut? I saw it was surrounded by fencing with Gibbs construction signs. It's a big brick building that I think used to be a Molasses factory.
Rice Mill Lofts

It's a Sean Cummings project... he announced some ambitious plans for the building back in '07 (cantilevered health club over the floodwall, townhouses on the roof) but now he's just doing a simple adaptive re-use of the building into apartments.

Quote:
2) What's with all the construction along the I-10 by the Jeff Davis overpass? It is right up along the sound wall and looks like it may be incorporating the tracks in some way...
No idea. Sounds interesting. They're doing work down closer to Broad on a new energy plant for OPP, though.

Quote:
Entergy Power Plant (even if it's a bass pro shop)
Bass Pro is just the anchor for the power plant building itself. NOLA Development owns many of the surrounding lots as well, and they are currently recruiting other retailers. For an idea of how it will turn out, look at Midtown Miami on Google Maps. It had the same developer and architect, it was also built on a industrial site (railyard) and its anchor was Target, which attracted numerous other retailers.

I'm holding out hope for a Target at the Power Plant... they're in the suburbs already, they're currently focused on new stores in urban markets, and they've already looked at a New Orleans store before (at the Lindy Boggs site in Mid-City). That deal fell through, but hopefully they can make it work this time.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 10:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolaproud View Post
Hey guys, I've got two new construction projects that I can't figure out.

1) Does anyone know what is going on at the corner of Chartres and Monegut? I saw it was surrounded by fencing with Gibbs construction signs. It's a big brick building that I think used to be a Molasses factory.

BTW, real excited about all the new developments in the pipeline for downtown. Rouses, Southmarket, Entergy Power Plant (even if it's a bass pro shop), Loyola Street Car, Rampart Street Car, Hyatt, Championship Sq, Wiznia is finally moving forward, HRI's Capital One Building, ther riverfront, not to mention the bio/medical district, and the list goes on. Keep it coming NOLA!

The construction along the interstate is the new Food Kitchen for OPP...yes its that big lol

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 12:08 PM

The Barn at Xavier University to be replaced with Convocation Academic Center

Construction is scheduled to begin in May on the building called the Convocation Academic Center, which will sit on a tract bounded by Short, Palm and Stroelitz streets. The site, where Xavier President Norman Francis played hardball as an undergraduate, is currently used as a parking lot.

Manning Architects of New Orleans and Populous of Kansas City, Mo., are architects for the 93,000-square-foot structure, which is expected to cost about $25 million and house classrooms, offices and meeting spaces.

Pile driving is scheduled to start this week, Francis said.

The building's chief feature will be an arena for men's and women's basketball and women's volleyball games. With 4,500 seats, its capacity will be more than three times that of the building known as The Barn, which has housed these matches since 1937.

Read More

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 3:00 PM

Here's a drawing of the new Xavier building.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:54 PM

Whats going on around the UNO campus? I will be moving there in a couple years for school.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 8:05 PM

Champions Square

Does anyone have any news on Champions Square? Are they still proceeding with phase 2 this offseason? Are there any pictures of the current status and/or renderings of the finished product? Also, when is Benson Tower expected to open?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 8:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie himself View Post
Whats going on around the UNO campus? I will be moving there in a couple years for school.
Not sure what exact area you are going to be in but it seems to be slowly but surely rebuilding... that side of city park still seems to need some work but progress is being made. There is a nice Rouses on Franklin already and thats nice to have.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 8:19 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpatel View Post
Does anyone have any news on Champions Square? Are they still proceeding with phase 2 this offseason? Are there any pictures of the current status and/or renderings of the finished product? Also, when is Benson Tower expected to open?
I see tons of work going on over there and a giant crane was in the area too.. Sometimes its difficult to differentiate what is for the Hyatt and whats for Champions Square but the gist of what I know is happening is a permanent cement staircase, addition of bathrooms in the parking garage on the bottom level, green vines being added on the sides of the parking garage. The street itself is supposed to be replaced with brick pavers and more planters. As far as the food vendors go, the plan is to have them relocate inside the building on the bottom floor.(except the food carts those wil stay outside as well as drik stands) Relocating the food inside should help keep things cooler for the patrons in the square as the heat from cooking only makes it worse. All this is supposed to be done by Essence Fest. I personally think there will be at least a shortened football season next year if there is one at all. Which begs the question.. if there is no season this coming year what happens to Indianapolis as the Superbowl host? Do they give them a year in the future or does everyone get pushed back by a year?

Also, The Benson Tower has reopened and many state offices have moved in or are planning to move in. Couldnt find a website though!

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 4, 2011 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 8:56 PM

If there is no season or Super bowl this year than Indy just misses out. I'm sure the NFL will give them a date in 2015 or later. Below are some links to the Dome and Square enhancements.

http://www.superdome.com/uploads/Dom...March12011.pdf

http://www.superdome.com/uploads/Dom...arch282011.pdf

http://www.superdome.com/uploads/Cha...March12011.pdf

http://www.superdome.com/uploads/Cha...arch282011.pdf

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 11:24 PM

Thanks for posting the Dome renovations, they look great. Hope we play football this season so we can see them in person.

LSU Academic Medical Center news, unofficial from LSU higher-ups. Be on the lookout for "official" ground-breaking with Jinal on April 18th. Also word is that all the land is bought and money is there for the project to go forward (not sure if I believe this one). Also apparently there are two new structures going up on Tulane ave on the LSU med school side, both are a few lots from St. Joseph's on the west side (going away from claiborne). Sorry don't have links or details about the buildings but they will be administrative buildings. Will keep a look out for any more news.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 12:50 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Thanks for posting the Dome renovations, they look great. Hope we play football this season so we can see them in person.

LSU Academic Medical Center news, unofficial from LSU higher-ups. Be on the lookout for "official" ground-breaking with Jinal on April 18th. Also word is that all the land is bought and money is there for the project to go forward (not sure if I believe this one). Also apparently there are two new structures going up on Tulane ave on the LSU med school side, both are a few lots from St. Joseph's on the west side (going away from claiborne). Sorry don't have links or details about the buildings but they will be administrative buildings. Will keep a look out for any more news.
Cool deal if true... where did u hear this from if you dont mind my asking? ALso, has an updated schematic been released yet...

Also, I havent seen any type of rendering of Archie Mannings new restaurant but found this which isnt much...

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 5, 2011 at 2:34 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations