HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 3:18 AM
be nice to the crackheads

It's really coming along nicely. Habitat Island is an amazing new addition to False Creek.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 3:49 AM

Thanks for the huge update, it's coming along very nicely.

Quote:
The following several shots of the new man-made marine habitat island. The very small bay to the right is where the daylighted stream will empty into False Creek. There are dozens of streams running under Vancouver, all of which were filled in or buried in sewers more than a hundred years ago. One is being daylighted and deeply integrated into the landscaping of the Olympic Village. The elementary school will be right beside it and children can be expected to play on its banks and run across its pedestrian bridges.
Daylighted? meaning they're digging it up and reviving it? i remember seeing some diagrams showng that.

Yea, two years ago my family realized that our house was right under a stream. Our neighbours house was demolished, and they started to dig a huge hole. I remember waking up one morning and looking at the house-sized, 15-foot hole had a foot of water in it, and you could see a water flow - a stream of water rippling into the pond.

So, they got a few water pumps to keep the water out during construction. Would've been neat to have a swimming pool right beside my house....

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 4:00 PM

looking good

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 8:22 PM

A small January 29th update (snow!)

Two buildings are now above grade. The first, a 12-storey mid-rise tower, marks the western edge of the Olympic Village precinct. Beside it is a second, five- or six-storey non-market rental housing apartment building.

The taller building is in the foreground while the low-rise is behind it.

(My photo, taken January 29th, 2008)

Rounded balconies and/or bay windows on the mid-rise.

There is some news about what is going to happen to the Salt Building, which for lack of a better description is the big red wooden barn in the middle of the Olympic Village. Jlousa posted the following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Some info on what will probably take place with the Salt Building, it also looks like they are favoring raising the whole building between 37-45 inches.

Highlights of the SBRC Proposal include:
• meets all requirements of the Request For Proposal (with the exception of Project financing)
• a sustainability strategy to restore the building in line with Parks Canada guidelines to conserve where possible and to achieve LEED Gold equivalent;
• the heritage restoration will focus on preservation and rehabilitation while respecting the character-defining elements of the building as identified in the “Statement of Significance”;
• a comprehensive business proposal that includes:
o a Brew Pub and Restaurant” to be operated by the Mark James Group comprising approximately 7,000 square feet inside the building and approximately 1,400 square feet over the basement at the north end of the building as a covered,
outdoor patio area
; and
o an “Artesian Bakery” (1,000 sq ft) and “Coffee House” (2,000 sq ft),
with additional uses such as a newsstand and wine shop also being considered given the size of the space;
• a mezzanine and north extension considered for the future at SBRC’s sole cost and expense, depending on demand for additional space;
dedication of approximately 30% of the building area to public access and uses throughout the building, including a proposal to provide educational and interpretive activities related to the building and the SEFC area.
• design work will contemplate: (1) opportunities to reveal the original piles; (2) maximizing the viewing opportunities of the roof truss system; and (3) limiting the door and window penetrations on the east and west building facades; and
Salt Building

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Jan 31, 2008 at 10:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 8:58 PM
I'm usually right.

The Olympics in Vancouver will be stunning!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 4:12 AM

Olympic Village construction site and surrounding areas, taken today by zivan56:

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 4:19 AM

Hi Guys

I'm from Uk and like to invest in a small apartment in Vancouver, near the new Olympic village, or somewhere not far, and like to rent it till 2012, when i come over. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 4:39 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I have apt for rent near site, very nice apt you like very much. You mail money to me, American cash preferred, in turn I mail you key to apt. I have been burned before that is why I ask for cash first. I seek only $20,000US cash for two year rent, but apt is very nice so I require $30,000US deposit, I will return deposit if no damages after 2012. So you mail me $50,000 and I will overnight keys to you. Please PM me for instructions on where to send cash, I do not want to disclose info in public forum as Nigerian general is still searching for me. You can trust me I am honest person. Your business will be my pleasure.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserpointer View Post
Hi Guys

I'm from Uk and like to invest in a small apartment in Vancouver, near the new Olympic village, or somewhere not far, and like to rent it till 2012, when i come over. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Brings lots of money
Seriously though, all of those under construction or about to break ground are already sold...
You could get a 1 bedroom around Cambie @ 16th for around $300,000 in an older building.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 8:45 AM

We're not kidding, bring cash....god knows how much a house/condo will cost you a fortune...and who knows how much it'll cost after 2010.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 10:17 PM

Two recent aerial shots of the Olympic Village

The Olympic Village under construction at the lower left side.

Source
The photographer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bsoleil/
February 14th, 2008.

source
The photographer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/borderfilms/
January 22nd, 2008.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Feb 15, 2008 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 9:04 PM
Community Guy

i am very impressed with the goings on at the village...it is really going to tie in the south side of false creek with the entire city.

i dont think people in vancouver quite know what this will do for the city and the demand to live there and visit there yet.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 5:45 AM

A small update | February 23rd, 2008

The first building (condos, 13 storeys) of the Olympic Village is about to reach the half-way point.

(My photo, taken February 23rd, 2008)

The first of many mid-block pedestrian mews takes form.

The second building (non-market family housing, 5 or 6 storeys)

At the other end of the site a third building is above grade. This one is a 12 storey condo tower and it and the first one from the set act as tall "bookends" of the Olympic Village precinct. On either side of these towers will be a "hinge park", a roughly triangular park to ease the transition in street grid orientations.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Feb 24, 2008 at 11:38 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 4:27 PM

wow, thats a lot of cranes

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 10:50 AM
Dérive-r

Took some pictures yesterday afternoon...

More buildings creeping above grade

Some crazy new 2/3-person chairs along with some large dock cleats (for extra seating I assume)

More chairs

Another building above grade (site immediately west of the pedestrian bridge)

Interesting lights

Lots of opportunities for seating

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 6:02 AM

Thanks for the update. Is it just me, or does that outdoor furniture seem a bit tacky? The benches are OK and the lights are decent, but everything else screams fake (especially the ship things).

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 8:10 PM
Community Guy

^i absolutely love it!

i live downtown and use places like this as my "living room"......so the more street furniture the better.

Cant wait to try those out

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 12:21 AM

March 12th update

My photo, taken March 12th, 2008

My photo, taken March 12th, 2008

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Mar 13, 2008 at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 3:38 AM

Some good news about the proposed streetcar, the demonstration line is going ahead

Source

I cut off the link in the second pdf: www.vancouver.ca/streetcar

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 5:17 AM

Update | March 27th 2008.

The Olympic Village construction precinct from the Cambie Street Bridge.

My photo, taken March 27th, 2008.

The Dragon Boat people are out on the water, one more sure sign that spring is upon us.

A very low tide today. Habitat Island appears to have doubled in size. The daylighted stream will empty into the creek through this micro bay so there should always be some water present here in the future. For now the stream is damed and the water is being pumped into the creek on the other side of the island.

The first mide-rise tower has reached about the three-quarters mark.

More outdoor furniture. I don't like these ones. They seem like unsuccessful knockoffs of the chair sculptures at Sunset Beach by the concession stand, which were actually part of the sculpture biannale. More than anything these items clutter up the boardwalk.

Some dark metal obelisks have been added to the south side of the mini-bay. I like the enclosure they offer. They also appear to have lighting of some sort at the top.

A closer view of the sentinels. They appear to be quite shiny and almost a dark, burnished maroon brass colour. I like them. They are my favourite element of the industrial motif of the site, public memory and all.

A single steel sentinel. The glass tube in the centre sure looks like a light to me.

The north shore mountains were spectacular this evening. Minutes before I took this shot the thick snow clouds were pushed up and over the mountains to reveal this scene. I love this city.

Construction happenings on the eastern half of the Olympic Village as seen from 1st Avenue, looking east. There was a fairly big pour going on when I was by. A pair of those giant semi-trailer-type concrete ready mix trucks were feeding the pumper and two more were waiting in the wings with their engines roaring.

The Salt Building and the western half of the Olympic Village from 1st Avenue, looking west.

A block or two west one comes across some of the first projects going up in the larger Southeast False Creek precinct. On the left is Foundry, a mid-rise tower and townhouse podium. On the right the red brick building is part of The Exchange, a new heritage conversion project that will incorporate a new mid-rise building and convert the old building into lofts. That building was once housed one of Vancouver's original telephone exchanges, hence the name.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Mar 28, 2008 at 10:13 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture