HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 23, 2006, 11:13 PM
Desert Urbanite

Links to All Active Threads Relating to Metro Phoenix and Tucson

All,

I have provided a comprehensive post of all the links to all major development and construction threads (both in Metro Phoenix and Tucson). This way, we have a place where we can click on a link to a thread of our interest and see what is going on. I have provided the link to the first pages of each thread, so you will have to go to the last page if you want to see the most current post. All of these threads are located in the "Mountain West" forum. Thanks, and I hope this will help!

-Andrew

Phoenix Development News Thread
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=99228

44 Monroe
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=98405

Summit at Copper Square
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=108999

Sheraton Downtown Phoenix Hotel
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117992

Phoenix CityScape
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117961

Tempe Projects Thread
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=96153

Scottsdale Projects and Development Thread
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=109733

Glendale/West Valley Development Thread
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=106007

Tucson Development Thread
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=87835

Old Posted Oct 24, 2006, 11:57 AM

^ Thanks for doing that Andrew.

ps. I really like the new avatar. Where exactly was it taken?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 10:38 PM
Desert Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelback_road
^ Thanks for doing that Andrew.

ps. I really like the new avatar. Where exactly was it taken?
Thanks!!! That avatar was a picture taken at LAX on Labor Day. Me and my BF went to a little park next to an In-n-Out Burger on Sepulveda Blvd. That park is one of the few public places left in the country that is right next to an airport, and it's located on the direct end of the north runway of LAX. It's AWESOME to see 747s land barely 80 feet above you, pretty loud, but really cool.

-Andrew

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 9:40 PM

Does anyone know if the Cosmopolitan Tower is going forward?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2006, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevilgrad
Does anyone know if the Cosmopolitan Tower is going forward?
[IMG][/IMG]

Their web site is still up and running:

http://www.cosmotowers.com/index.asp

I believe someone mentioned that the developer was pushing the start out due to the market slowdown. I know this tower will be more affordable than most but... it is UUUUUGLY in my humble opinion.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2006, 11:31 PM
under the influence...

I agree. Simply tossing the two-tone look would do alot for that building.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 1:10 AM

Cosmopolitan

I'm glad someone else agrees about how hideous this thing really is. I had not seen any mention of it in past posts. I really dislike the rusty steel beam look with the rust-colored crisscrossing over the solid white/beige panels instead of all windows.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 3:11 AM
Everywhere all at once

ignore

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 4:16 AM

Here are some new renderings of Cielo Phoenix, a 36 story project set for Central and Columbus. 36 stories should be good for around 400'+ I'd guess?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 5:37 AM

Some images from the new 3D Windows Live Local showing the location of the projects currently under construction...

Can't wait to see it all, all three will definately make a big change to the skyline!

The proposed CityScape would be a dramatic change and that space is begging for something to be built there! It would consist of up to four 400' (possibly up to 500') towers.

Looking down Central Ave and the site of the proposed Cielo twin 36 floor tower project (in Uptown Phoenix, Downtown can be seen further down)...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 8:04 AM

Post Scottsdale clubs look at alley's potential

This is something DT Phoenix should get into

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...lleys1110.html

Peter Corbett
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 10, 2006 12:00 AM

Much of the attention on downtown's $2 billion worth of new development has focused on large-scale projects like the Scottsdale Waterfront, Optima Camelview condos and the W Hotel.

But nightclub entrepreneur Randy Smith has turned his attention to the smaller scale of alleys, the city's forgotten and neglected urban spaces.

Smith has approached Scottsdale officials about allowing him to spruce up the alley behind his Stetson Drive nightclub called 6.
advertisement
AOT 2007

It would provide a comfortable patio for the club and at least two adjacent bars.

Patrons could enjoy the patio's hideaway ambience, decorative lighting and landscaping.

The city's director of downtown, John Little, welcomes the idea as part of Scottsdale's efforts to make downtown more walkable.

But, first, Scottsdale must find a 21st-century solution for hauling trash from the bars. The current method of using metal trash bins creates odors that would hurt Smith's proposal.

Smith wants to add a patio with decorative lighting along what now is a stark, asphalt drive with unsightly trash bins.

City officials are open to the idea.

But the metal bins are a fly in the ointment.

'Little too chic'
"I'm into urban chicness, but a big, stinky garbage container - that's a little too chic," Smith said.

Scottsdale is looking at its alleys as spots for hideaway shops and interesting nooks that visitors can discover.

It is part of an effort to make the increasingly urban core of downtown Scottsdale pedestrian-friendly.

Elsewhere, an alley renaissance is emerging in places like Seattle; San Francisco; Vancouver, British Columbia; and even downtown Flagstaff, where business owners have embraced their backdoor customers.

Little is enthusiastic about Smith's proposal and sees other opportunities for similar alley improvements downtown. But there are hurdles.

The alley overhaul hinges on finding a new way to handle trash rather than letting it rot in metal bins.

Scottsdale wants to explore a solution pioneered by a Seattle-based company called CleanScapes, which operates in the Northwest and San Francisco.

CleanScapes picks up trash in leakproof plastic bags several times a day from its customers, eliminating the need for metal bins.

New collection method
Scottsdale is considering a pilot program that would use a similar collection method with a golf-cart truck hauling the refuse to a large bin elsewhere for removal to a landfill.

It is a method that could also eliminate noisy trucks from slamming trash bins outside downtown condominiums early in the morning.

Another roadblock is getting adjacent business owners to cooperate with an alley makeover.

Andy Meyer, owner of DJ's of Scottsdale, said he is all for Smith's idea of using the alley behind 6 and the other bars in the 7300 block of Stetson Drive.

The alley abuts the Galleria Corporate Center parking garage.

"It would be nothing but a plus for everybody," Meyer said, adding that he would use the space behind his 32-year-old bar, as well.

He is skeptical, however, that Scottsdale will go along with Smith's proposal.

"If the city would do that, I would be shocked to death," Meyer said.

Little said Smith's alley proposal is "just the kernel of an idea, but it's a dang good kernel."

Scottsdale would have to work out a license agreement and rental rate for using the public alley behind 6.

Collapsible barriers
Smith, who operates another downtown bar, Mickey's Hangover, said 6 would use collapsible barriers to give ambulances access to the alley in an emergency.

Most deliveries could continue to use the front doors of the businesses, he added.

The nightclub 6 currently uses its back door as a VIP entrance, but Smith's Bottomline Hospitality Group wants to provide a comfortable patio for the club with a stamped-concrete or brick deck.

The front half of the building could then be turned into a 63-seat American bistro.

"This would activate an urban space" and create the kind of discoverable place that would be memorable to tourists, Smith said.

It would be much like the Kazimierz World Wine Bar behind the Cowboy Ciao restaurant at Stetson Drive and Sixth Avenue.

Like a speakeasy, the wine bar, tucked in a courtyard, is only marked by a cryptic sign that reads: "The truth is inside."

Smith, who is working on opening two other restaurants, said he is eager to try a pilot program in the alley behind 6. But the city has not yet fully vetted his idea so he has to be patient.

"It can be a huge positive for the city," Smith said.

"It's a whole new way of thinking about these types of spaces."

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 8:42 AM

A model of the Cielo Phoenix towers shown at the pre-sales grand opening (photo credit to Soleri). Not the most inspiring buildings, but at least they should be pretty tall (for Phoenix) with 36 floors and probably around 400'.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 10:46 AM

Again, it's to be built on a small (and empty) lot in Midtown, right next to a new METRO station. Having a "trophy" topping isn't the main concern here. We should all hope this works out.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy
A model of the Cielo Phoenix towers shown at the pre-sales grand opening (photo credit to Soleri). Not the most inspiring buildings, but at least they should be pretty tall (for Phoenix) with 36 floors and probably around 400'.

Very Nice! America's 5th Most Populated city needs more of this.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halovet
Very Nice! America's 5th Most Populated city needs more of this.
I agree.

I'm wondering about the top section of the two towers though, what's up with that design? I'd prefer a tapered or straight design, rather than a bulge on the top sections, as shown in the images.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 2:38 AM

BIG wrap-around terraces on the upper floors...can you say $$$chaaaching! I rather like them. I think the feature will add variety to the skyline and will make for some very valuable real estate with terraces that large. It's like having a back yard in the sky

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 7:08 PM

There was an article in Republic the other day about the DT ASU Journalism School, but no mention of Central Park East (or what would've been), anybody heard anything about that project.

I know it was cancelled but they were supposed to come up with different proposals.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevilgrad
There was an article in Republic the other day about the DT ASU Journalism School, but no mention of Central Park East (or what would've been), anybody heard anything about that project.

I know it was cancelled but they were supposed to come up with different proposals.
That article was posted on the Phx Devel thread. Here is an excerpt:
"... Officials had planned to locate the school in a signature mixed-used development called Central Park East but were forced to come up with an alternative plan after the ambitious proposal was scrapped because of time and money constraints. ..."

I recently read somewhere (can't remember exacty) that the project may still happen, just without the School of Journalism as a component. It's still a great site and full of potential being on the edge of ASU and right in the core of DT. ASU couldn't wait any longer to make the move of the School happen.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 12:13 AM

Central Park East

^ I spoke with Wellington Reiter last week (dean of ASU's College of Design) and Nancy Levinson (director of PURL), and they said CPE is still in the works, though the project is being reconfigured a bit.

Apparently the project will boast a smaller residential component than previously proposed, with more office space in it's place. He said this was due largely to the fact that demand for commercial office space is much bigger that it is for residential at the moment, in downtown Phoenix.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 7:58 AM

Central Park East

camelback_road, that's good news and from some legitimate sources, which always gives the forumers a warmer fuzzy. I read through some of the tedious studies included on the Copper Square site related to office space and there is a real lack of class A space in the DT core; especially larger, continuous floor plates. These are needed to accommodate larger firms and those elusive corporate headquarters that the city is always courting. I think this is a good move by the developers given the downturn in condo fevor. It would bring some much needed, larger, class A office space to the core. I assume there will also be a lot of office space required by spin-off businesses that will cator to ASU right next door. I like the whole idea. I'm not so bummed now that the School of Journalism is building their own, separate diggs. If it happens, I hope it retains the height.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations