HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
I was helping a friend from work paint some houses a week or 2 ago and noticed that there are some awesome views of the skyline, and the entire valley from the cameron park el dorado hills area. I would of taken a picture but all I had was my camera phone. Somebody with a really bad ass camera could take a shot and it would be amazing. Just go to one of the side roads off 50 and take some, and some of the deeper roads into the hills in the area.
All you have to do is go up into Empire Ranch in Folsom and you get some great views of the skyline AND if you look South, you can see Rancho Seco.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 6:33 PM
Kodachrome

Flicker: by Trimmos. This person takes photos of birds but in this shot the skyline got in the way

Flicker: by Fnz007

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 7:20 PM
Hindrance to Development

I just love this old "business district" postcard shot:
Quote:
It shows a lot of the old West End, and a lot of the old city fabric wiped away by redevelopment and changes in transportation. Sacramento's waterfront was heavily industrial, with everything from grain mills to canneries to lumber mills to ironwork, and three different railroads running alongside the river.

If you note the building on M Street just past the Tower Bridge (which identifies this shot as post-1935) to the right, you'll notice it has a "slice" taken out of it. This is because the Sacramento Northern tracks off the bridge used to swing to the right between Front and Second Street into the SN's original freight station. This station was destroyed in a fire, and the brick freight station (visible in the photo just above that building with the slice) received cars via a sharp S-curve of track at Second and N Street (you can see the boxcars in front of the station.) The building was abandoned in favor of the Western Pacific freight station on Second and R Street after SN switched from electrics to diesel in the early 1950s.

The other artifact of the SN era in this photo is the old passenger station on Terminal Way. Find City Hall on the far left of the photo (should be easy to see if you can find the Cal-Western building, aka The Citizen Hotel) and it's the brick-red structure just up and to the right.

The big boat in the foreground is either the Delta King or the Delta Queen. They alternated between Sacramento and San Francisco, passing each other in the middle of the night somewhere on the Delta, from their construction in 1926 until they were taken out of service in 1940, so obviously this shot has to be from somewhere between 1935-1940.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I just love this old "business district" postcard shot:

It shows a lot of the old West End, and a lot of the old city fabric wiped away by redevelopment and changes in transportation. Sacramento's waterfront was heavily industrial, with everything from grain mills to canneries to lumber mills to ironwork, and three different railroads running alongside the river.

If you note the building on M Street just past the Tower Bridge (which identifies this shot as post-1935) to the right, you'll notice it has a "slice" taken out of it. This is because the Sacramento Northern tracks off the bridge used to swing to the right between Front and Second Street into the SN's original freight station. This station was destroyed in a fire, and the brick freight station (visible in the photo just above that building with the slice) received cars via a sharp S-curve of track at Second and N Street (you can see the boxcars in front of the station.) The building was abandoned in favor of the Western Pacific freight station on Second and R Street after SN switched from electrics to diesel in the early 1950s.

The other artifact of the SN era in this photo is the old passenger station on Terminal Way. Find City Hall on the far left of the photo (should be easy to see if you can find the Cal-Western building, aka The Citizen Hotel) and it's the brick-red structure just up and to the right.

The big boat in the foreground is either the Delta King or the Delta Queen. They alternated between Sacramento and San Francisco, passing each other in the middle of the night somewhere on the Delta, from their construction in 1926 until they were taken out of service in 1940, so obviously this shot has to be from somewhere between 1935-1940.
Your knowledge of Sacramento History makes me jealous! Thank you for sharing!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 10:01 PM

I agree!

And WOW! That first shot with the birds is incredible!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 12:42 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

The shot with the mountains and birds is awesome. Makes me want to go skiing this weekend. Great shot innov8! I like the cluster of high-rises.

The postcard is awesome too. Wburg, good to see that you are living/working your passion. I wish I could have experienced downtown prior to the I-5 freeway. M Street and all of downtown looks like a real urban oasis.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 8:07 AM
Resu Deretsiger

neuhhickman, is the photo inov8 provided the photo from the ranch you said? Is the ranch private or is it a park? I need a better camera so I can get some good pictures of the far away skyline (which I absolutely love).
And my ultimate goal is to get a skyline shot from Dixon. And yes, you can see if from there.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 5:39 PM
Eye In The Sky

Does anyone out there have photos of Old Sacramento before the area was restored to what it is today?
I remember seeing photos of the area and it looked like a ghost town completely run down.

Just curious.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 8:36 PM
Hindrance to Development

petescafe: Most of the photos of the West End you see are from the redevelopment era, when most of the businesses had been forcibly closed. Of course, if you forcibly run people out of a neighborhood and don't allow anyone to move in, it's going to look like an utterly run-down ghost town, but before that social engineering was done, the West End was the most densely populated part of the city.

If you are interested in seeing some of the photos, go to the SAMCC online database:

http://www.sacramenities.com/history...g/catalog.html

Use the search term "West End" and you'll see some urban street scenes that look straight out of a Dashiell Hammett novel. Very "film noir."

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 10:07 PM
Eye In The Sky

Quote:
petescafe: Most of the photos of the West End you see are from the redevelopment era, when most of the businesses had been forcibly closed. Of course, if you forcibly run people out of a neighborhood and don't allow anyone to move in, it's going to look like an utterly run-down ghost town, but before that social engineering was done, the West End was the most densely populated part of the city.

If you are interested in seeing some of the photos, go to the SAMCC online database:

http://www.sacramenities.com/history...g/catalog.html

Use the search term "West End" and you'll see some urban street scenes that look straight out of a Dashiell Hammett novel. Very "film noir."
Thank you very much wburg! Those photos are amazing.

I think the West End would make a good subject for a coffee table book.

I grew up without any knowledge of what the West End looked like. It's always been known as Old Sacramento to me. You really get the sense of what the 5 freeway has done to that side of the city.

Thanks again.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 10:50 PM
West bench livin'

Thanks for the link wburg....

... now I'm depressed.

Why you ask??

I made the mistake of just for kicks searching the archives for pics of the Alhambra.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 2:29 AM
Hindrance to Development

I grew up without any of this knowledge either...I'm 38, this all happened before I was born, but that's just part of doing history. A visit to SAMCC or the Sacramento Room to look at some Sactown photos (see, on topic!) provide a peek at the parts of the past that we can't visit in person anymore.

A book on the West End is definitely on my "to do" list. Gimme a few years, though...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 8:19 PM

wburg,

I'm trying to find a picture of the velodrome that was in Joyland. I've searched SAMCC but found nothing. Have you ever seen anything like this?

*What Whould Jane Jacobs Do?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 9:04 PM
Hindrance to Development

Not familiar with it. Did you try the Sacramento Room?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 10:02 PM

That's my next stop. If I find something I'll let you know. Thanks

*What Whould Jane Jacobs Do?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 3:12 PM
West bench livin'

Quote:
I grew up without any of this knowledge either...I'm 38, this all happened before I was born, but that's just part of doing history....
Ack!!!

Here I thought wburg was this old kurmudgeon in his late 40's or 50's... and we're the same age!!

Back to topic however, having grown up in Amador County, I am constantly reminded of the ongoing need for historic preservation of photos and then getting them into some type of media such as the above links that allow those of us who might not have been old enough to remember, enrich our knowledge and love of our towns and neighborhoods by learning the in-depth history and seeing the past revealed before our eyes.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 6:21 PM
Hindrance to Development

SAMCC is a great resource. One of the nice things about modern archives is that they can put their collections online, although currently SAMCC has about 50,000 photos up, representing less than 1% of their photo collection! Although there is no substitute for going to the archive and talking with the archivists, and seeing the stuff they can't just scan and post online.

There are many archives with Sacramento materials, some of which is online in various forms. The California State Library, the Bancroft Library, USC's archive, all have online databases. The Railroad Museum library doesn't have photos online for the most part (they did scan some materials for a joint Sacramento history website which is currently undergoing revision) but they do have a searchable collections database to help researchers determine what collections might be useful before they come in.

Some of the most fascinating stuff to me, and perhaps to folks here, are some of the ambitious plans for Sacramento that never got built. One of the original plans for Old Sacramento was to raze all of the old buildings and build three mid-rise condo/apartment buildings surrounded by parking lots and park areas.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 1:00 AM

Sacramento photoshopped by snaptam on flickr.com:

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 1:34 AM

KCRA does it again:

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 3:23 AM
Here we stAy

^It's only showing the live feed. What was going on?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area