HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 7:43 AM
Rising into view

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

OK, the tallest building between the Metroplex and Denver.

I'm trying to figure out where to go next. I pretty much covered downtown. Maybe I can get more shots from a parking garage or maybe the roof of my work building. There also are two tall buildings away from downtown I can show.

I'll figure something out. Just gotta wait for my next day off and good weather. The timing is hard to get sometimes.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 1:42 AM

Cool pics, like to see more.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 3:11 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
Nice job ....and a bit of a metaphor for the good 'ole USA

Amarillo has let its core rot. This despite it growing over 3 times in size since 1940. If these buidlings could be supported then, they should be able to be supported now.

However, AMarillo, like most of America, has chosen sprawl over reinvestment and densification.....I mean Amarillo is what less than 2000 / sq mile. If they had merely concentrated development at roughly twice that level (3800 / sq mile) the downtown would probably be alive and well.

Unfortunately, locust development was chosen instead......I am sure there are plenty of single story strip malls throughout town
Another typical Chicago post. So...what are you planning to do about your complaints about Amarillo?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 3:15 AM
Closed account

Nice post, by the way. Amarillo has some beautiful old buildings. Do you have some pics of some of the neighborhoods? I understand that there are some nice, tree-shaded residential areas in that city.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 3:23 AM

I used to drive across I-40 frequently and fondly remember Amarillo as being a nice break in the plains between OKC and ABQ. It seemed like such an enormous city compared to its surroundings! I was always in too much of a rush to explore the city, but your photos do a great job of showing the character of the city. Thanks for sharing them.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haux View Post
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

OK, the tallest building between the Metroplex and Denver.

I'm trying to figure out where to go next. I pretty much covered downtown. Maybe I can get more shots from a parking garage or maybe the roof of my work building. There also are two tall buildings away from downtown I can show.

I'll figure something out. Just gotta wait for my next day off and good weather. The timing is hard to get sometimes.

Great job and welcome to the forum!!! Awesome to have someone from Amarillo on here. Hopefully we won't scare you off

I know this is a "skyscraper forum", but many of us love to see neighborhoods and commercial districts too. As I've never been to Amarillo, I would love to see some interesting things around your city.

Thanks for sharing

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 7:25 PM
Rising into view

I've lurked this forum for years. I just never had the want to sign up. So I finally got that out of the way, and now I have an excuse to get out. If the weather's nice on my next days off, I'll see about getting some shots of more buildings or neighborhoods or something.

Anyone want to suggest anything? See anything interesting in Google Street View or satellite images you want me to shoot?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 7:45 PM

I think you have to get some shots from that famous steakhouse where you get your meal free if you eat half a cow or something! I always wanted to stop there.

It's not city related - but some shots of Palo Duro Canyon would be cool also.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 8:36 PM

The Fisk Building is mighty sexy... good thing it's being renovated! Thanks for sharing your photos of often overlooked Amarillo.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 11:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Denson View Post
Another typical Chicago post. So...what are you planning to do about your complaints about Amarillo?
If you'd like to contest the veracity of my comment feel free, Hector!

1. Amarillo population has tripled in the time frame presented. 2. Is population density is as stated. 3. Several downtown buildings appear to be abandoned (the the thread makes this abundantly clear) as is the case with all to many mid / small american cities 4. There has been plenty of sprawl development in / near Amarillo over the period suggested as there has been in the US.

If you think any of these are not true....I have a large fresh water lake to sell you in west Texas

Oh....perhaps you could elucidate the great unwashed but what exactly is a "typical Chicago post"....is it kind of like Obama being a "typical Chicago politician" or a "typical liberal"? Please educate us.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 11:45 PM

oh wow, it'd be such a shame to tear down The old Potter County Courthouse. Such a beautiful art deco building.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 2:36 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
If you'd like to contest the veracity of my comment feel free, Hector!

1. Amarillo population has tripled in the time frame presented. 2. Is population density is as stated. 3. Several downtown buildings appear to be abandoned (the the thread makes this abundantly clear) as is the case with all to many mid / small american cities 4. There has been plenty of sprawl development in / near Amarillo over the period suggested as there has been in the US.

If you think any of these are not true....I have a large fresh water lake to sell you in west Texas

Oh....perhaps you could elucidate the great unwashed but what exactly is a "typical Chicago post"....is it kind of like Obama being a "typical Chicago politician" or a "typical liberal"? Please educate us.
So who's Hector?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 2:53 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

it's unrealistic to think Amarillo, TX, a small city in the middle of nowhere, would have any incentive to become any more built up.

I'm going to make a bet, that the high-rises were fueled by oil and cotton wealth for a short boom period, then many of the local tycoons got bought out by big city banks elsewhere and moved?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 5:31 AM
Meh

Highrises don't do well in Texas' bullseye for tornadoes.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 5:41 AM
them bones

I've been there exactly once, 19 years ago. We did drive around the downtown area just to take a look and it looks pretty much the same now as it did then.

Still, nice to have some more representation on here. Go out and show off your city! Old neighborhoods? yep. Local topography? yep. Long distance prairie skyline photos? yep. We welcome it all.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 5:43 AM
Meh

And the Cadillac Ranch.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 7:14 AM
Rising into view

All good suggestions. I'll make a list and just mark 'em off. I guess my next update can be Palo Duro Canyon. I went there a few months ago and took some good shots.

Should I keep them all in this thread? That's probably fine, right? Just bump it when I have an update.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 2:03 PM

Just out of curiosity, where did you move from?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 5:54 PM
Rising into view

I moved from Fremont, Ohio, a town of about 17,000 people. Before that, I was in Denver for six months, and before that, I was in Tucson, Ariz. I get around.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 6:09 AM
Rising into view

It's a month later, and I still haven't gone out and gotten any shots of anything else yet. I apologize, but work's just been crazy. We're understaffed, and as a result, my schedule is all kinds of awkward. My days off fluctuate, and I haven't had a real weekend in a month. I've only got one day off this week (as usual now), but I'm going to try to get off my butt and head downtown to get more shots.

I think I'm going to avoid some of the kitschy touristy stuff for now. I might just try to capture the abandoned buildings all over the downtown area. There's a hospital north of downtown that's closed, and I'm going to try to get some pictures of it. I'm not sure of the parking situation in that area, though. But downtown itself has plenty of material. I hope to come back tomorrow with some good art.

Palo Duro Canyon will wait, and so will The Big Texan Steak Ranch (with the 72-ounce steak) and Cadillac Ranch. But those will come eventually, I promise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos