HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 10:11 PM
life is good

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...oast-of-tulane

more on the Tulane Avenue Renaissance

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 10:43 PM

Tulane Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...oast-of-tulane

more on the Tulane Avenue Renaissance
This is such good news. I haven't been there for years, but I know during the 70s and 80s, this stretch consisted of motel rooms by the hour, sleazy bars, and XXX theaters.

It will be a great step forward for MidCity to have this major roadway become a city asset.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 11:54 PM
-

Renderings of the Joan Mitchell Artists LOfts:

Rendering of Avery Alexander School:

Bradys Winehouse(1029 OC Haley)

500 Port of New Orleans Suite 247·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: SSLAWL
Download (3) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Diane Hickman
Zoning Review
Date Filed:
2/5/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Tenant finish of mall space into a Daiquiris Bar per plans - Fat Tuesday

500 Port Of New Orleans Suite 140·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: SRN1RN
Download (2) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
Diane Hickman
Zoning Review
Date Filed:
2/5/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Tenant build out of mall space in Riverwalk into "Cafe du Monde" per plans.

Updated DDAy Museum Garage Renderings:

Looking at the plans for the traffic flow I sure hope they switch the entry and exit sides of the garage... makes no sense given the traffic flows in one direction on Magazine right there.

Is Loew's State Palace Theatre Next Up For a Comeback?

A tipster pointed out this potentially juicy detail concerning the shuttered Loew's State Palace Theatre: From the agenda of the Downtown Development District's board of commissioners meeting this week was this tidbit: "Approval of Loew's State Palace Investment Terms & Covenants —Action Item*" The theater, built in the mid-1920s, has been shuttered since 2007. A listing from December 2013 (that has since been removed) had the Canal Street property for sale for $5-million, which included the surrounding retail units and rooftop billboard. In the midst of rooting around for some answers, another Curbed reader hit up the tipline and said a $30-million restoration of the theater is in the works with plans for an attached restaurant and several retail spots. As always, stay tuned! [CurbedWire]

http://nola.curbed.com/archives/2014...a-comeback.php

Last edited by tennis1400; Feb 7, 2014 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 12:05 AM

I would love to see the Sanlin building turn into a City Target or Macy's. I think we need another major department store in the city that's a bit more reasonably priced. Saks is nice but I would LOVE to see a Macy's downtown. Or a really well designed Nordstrom on the surface lot behind the Westin. But a city Target would be great for that area IMO.... Maybe I'm dreaming but I would like to see a Barnes and Noble downtown too.. Or some kind of bookstore on that level.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 4:55 AM

Just a little updated look at Paramount, of the South Market project. Still think it's interesting that they chose wood frame for the upper floors.

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 8:28 PM
life is good

^^^Cheaper, right? I've seen them doing that some in DC, up to six stories. I think higher than that it has to be all concrete.

BTW ya'll killing it with the comments and insight the last few days. Great job everyone!

Along the lines of ya'll saying Arabi was next up, two new restaurants just opened down there:
http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blog...-open-in-arabi
http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blog...-open-in-arabi

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 1:17 AM
TL;DR

Wood framing is also lighter weight, and in swampy New Orleans it saves a ton of money to reduce the loads on your foundation.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 2:53 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Wood framing is also lighter weight, and in swampy New Orleans it saves a ton of money to reduce the loads on your foundation.
We just did a redesign of our project to allow for the wood construction method seen above at the paramount. It saves a tremendous amount of money percentage cost wise. We didnt change the height of our development just how pressure and weight would be distributed to accommodate this method of building. Unless your going to go much higher than 6 stories one really has to consider this method. However its also possible to build more than one story of cement and then add the wood floors, however, as the additional cement floors go up the savings is reduced.

As an example on a 7 million dollar project you can probably save up to 700,000$ justr switching to the woodframe. Thats a huge cost savings of 10 percent for just one item.

BTW another building has occurred to me as a possible location for ISC to be moving into. Its this building across from the stephens garage. Calculating the floorplate of this building from the assessors site it looks to be about 48,000sqft which matches what they are looking for

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=831+c...ed=0CCkQ8gEwAA

More detailed information regarding the corner of Tchoupitoulas and Canal:

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...lyout_business

NO/AIDS Task Force broadens patient base with new CrescentCare community clinic

Equipped with a $1.4 million two-year grant from the federal government, the nonprofit organization is launching its first general health clinic to provide services to children and adults regardless of health status or ability to pay.

Called CrescentCare, the first center will occupy three floors in a leased space at 3308 Tulane Ave., offering primary care, behavioral health services, obstetrics and gynecological services and dentistry.

But leaders hope to open five to seven more CrescentCare centers around town over the next three years, with special focus on providing more access to those in the Gentilly and Lower 9th Ward, where neighborhood medical options are scant. They also are especially interested targeting service industry personnel as well as anyone who is at high risk for chronic communicable disease

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf...lyout_business

Additional South Market pics from Today(2.07.14)

Pictures of New Subdivision Streets we just finished in New Orleans:

The Beacon at South Market District:

Heres the article where the picture comes from.... confirms that is the Beacon and the timeline for construction and future retail announcements.

http://www.dcnreport.com/domain-cos-...t-development/

Main interesting points for those not wanting to read the whole thing...

* Both buildings will be complete by October 2014.

*The Park will be the first public garage in New Orleans to offer electric car- charging stations and will feature bike storage and a bike-sharing program for South Market residents and a car-sharing program available to the public. The building’s open rooftop has been designed to accommodate District-wide events such as movie nights. Domain worked with the Downtown Development District to secure oversight of a landscaped bump-out at the Girod Corner. Domain will incorporate the space into a new 2,200 square foot public plaza by adding new hardscape, landscaping and seating, activating the space and creating a central outdoor focal point for the District.

*The project is designed to position Girod as the focal point of the district and transform the street into a vibrant, pedestrian-oriented, shopping and entertainment district. To accomplish this, Domain worked with City and State Agencies to secure approvals to close a traffic lane on Girod and widen the sidewalks from approximately seven to approximately twenty feet wide. The Girod work will be completed in April. In addition, Domain worked with neighboring communities to permit sidewalk cafes in the area and provide for expanded café operating hours throughout the District.

*The Paramount at South Market features 209 apartments and 22,000sf of retail which will include an eclectic mix of food and beverage tenants. Domain plans to begin announcing tenants in the Paramount in the coming weeks. In a further District update, Domain plans to begin construction of “The Beacon”, the District’s third building, in late summer 2014. Opposite The Paramount on Girod, the building will feature 114 apartments and 20,000sf of retail, occupying the front-portion of the block. By phasing the development of this block, Domain will increase the District’s overall density. Plans for South Market now call for over 700 new apartments, 170,000 square feet of retail and $250 million in investment by the time the District is completed in 2017.

600 Port Of New Orleans Pl, Suite 110·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: B36007
Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
Permits Direct
Draft Application
Date Filed:
2/7/2014 12:16:41 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Interior alteration to existing retail space for a new Lucky Brand store. Demo, new partitions, finishes, new fixtures, new lighting, new ductwork. Reflected ceiling work. Shelving in stock room

Lakeside Shopping Center announces arrival of state's first The Cheesecake Factory

The state of Louisiana will soon be getting its first The Cheesecake Factory.
Lakeside Shopping Center in Metairie announced on Thursday that it has begun construction on a 9,300-square-foot location for the popular restaurant chain, founded in Beverly Hills in 1978.
The restaurant's arrival coincides with a new redesign of the mall's Causeway entrance. Both developments are expected to be complete in May of 2014.
Last year, Lakeside Shopping Center introduced four new stores to the market: Pandora, The Engraving Company, Well and Janie and Jack. In 2014, The Cheesecake Factory will be joined by the state's first Vera Bradley store.
[/B]

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ter_annou.html

410 Bourbon St·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: 6V2FNG
Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
Rebekah Williams
Draft Application
Date Filed:
2/6/2014 6:25:00 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Non structural renovation to existing exterior of building

2001 St Bernard Ave, Suite A·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: BDCXCJ
Download (2) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
Troy Verrett
Zoning Review
Date Filed:
2/6/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Interior Build-out (non-Structural)

Last edited by tennis1400; Feb 8, 2014 at 7:50 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 2:58 PM
life is good

I took some bad photos of the site where the new hotel is going:http://www.flickr.com/photos/7302829...n/photostream/

I know the Sanlin building wouldn't be torn down, but what about the building next to it? That one is very cool, much better than the ones on the Tchop side.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 6:45 PM
-

Quote:
I took some bad photos of the site where the new hotel is going:http://www.flickr.com/photos/7302829...n/photostream/

I know the Sanlin building wouldn't be torn down, but what about the building next to it? That one is very cool, much better than the ones on the Tchop side.
Bad photos are better than no photos!!!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 10:40 PM

Yeah, all photos are appreciated! I guess I wouldn't mind seeing the buildings on Tchoup go, but it would be great if that fixed up the Sanlin and the building next to it. I also wish they'd consider going up to at least 30-40 floors with it. Does anyone else think the current design looks a little stumpy?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 11:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Yeah, all photos are appreciated! I guess I wouldn't mind seeing the buildings on Tchoup go, but it would be great if that fixed up the Sanlin and the building next to it. I also wish they'd consider going up to at least 30-40 floors with it. Does anyone else think the current design looks a little stumpy?

A little which is the main reason for the led band running up the corner... to try and break up the stumpiness.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 12:28 AM
life is good

I took a couple more bad photos today of the school reno/stabilization on OCH, the Giana building on Canal St (seems like these will be incredible) etc
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7302829...n/photostream/

Edit: tennis, how do you post your Flickr pics. I won't flood the thread with pics but can't seem to post Flickr pics. Thanks

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 1:29 AM
TL;DR

Right click the photo in flickr lightbox view and choose a size. Then right click the image that comes up and "copy image url". You can place that URL into your SSP post (as an image, not a link).

Btw how is Church Alley? Is it as weird as it looks? I go by there all the time since I live off Thalia but I've never stopped in. It's a little too close to the homeless shelter...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 2:56 AM
life is good

It's cool manne. Beautiful inside obviously. I thought my iced coffee was good, my wife said the pour over coffee was good not great. Major studying vibe inside. The Mission folks didn't bother us

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 2:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Right click the photo in flickr lightbox view and choose a size. Then right click the image that comes up and "copy image url". You can place that URL into your SSP post (as an image, not a link).

Btw how is Church Alley? Is it as weird as it looks? I go by there all the time since I live off Thalia but I've never stopped in. It's a little too close to the homeless shelter...
The photos are decent you just have to try and hold your hand still so it doesn't streak ... So what does everyone think of The beacon hands hears anyone's thoughts ... I love it personally !!!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 4:04 PM
life is good

Yeah the Beacon looks good. More importantly the pedestrian improvements sound impressive! Much wider sidewalks, sidewalk cafes everywhere etc. I rode the Loyola line yesterday and there was a lot more ridership than I expected. Frequency needs to be upgraded, though. Rode about 5 different streetcars yesterday and they were all pretty packed. A couple times they were so full they wouldn't let more people on. Definitely the heaviest streetcar usage I've seen in my life.

Where's the new subdivision streets btw? Lakefront area?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 4:11 PM

Quote:

Where's the new subdivision streets btw? Lakefront area?
I think it's this area next to the Mound underpass pump station...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.99...num=1&t=h&z=18

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 5:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
I think it's this area next to the Mound underpass pump station...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.99...num=1&t=h&z=18
Yes it's in Lakewood south ... Kind of cool that it's the first new subdivision on Nola's eastbank in decades ...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Yes it's in Lakewood south ... Kind of cool that it's the first new subdivision on Nola's eastbank in decades ...
*west of the Industrial Canal.

The East has had new subdivisions built since 2000.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations