HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
Well said.

I'm assuming most of the folks trying to play nanny in this thread about the living habits of those who don't live in someplace like Tribeca meet some or all of the following characteristics:

1. Single and/or couples without children (thus don't have to worry about the poor performance of inner city schools or tuition of private schools).

2. Are paid well enough to not have to worry about skyrocketing rent prices, and/or is lucky enough to live in an area that's rent controlled

3. Don't value having plenty of privacy or space as much (I.E. neighbors next to you or above your head making a ton of noise, not being able to purchase certain things because you can't store them, etc.).

And all of those things are ok. Different folks for different follks. It doesn't make them bad people.

And frankly, in many parts of the country, living in an "urban" environment just isn't practical. There are some cities that have undergone quite a bit of gentrification which have made their inner city neighborhoods livable again, but in other cities, the inner city neighborhoods are still poverty stricken and crime-ridden. Not to mention, the access to basic amenities such as high quality grocery stores or department stores will still require a weekly (at minimum) or monthly drive to the suburbs. We can't all live in SF or Boston.
Although I understand your point, and agree with you on some of what you said.....

I live in an urban area in a pretty small city(Norfolk, 250k 1.6 million in the metro). I live on the 5th floor of an apartment building and I literally have never heard my neighbors besides in the halls while in the living room. When I visit my friend's apartments in the burbs I am stunned at how loud their floors are, or their upstairs neighbor floors can be. My building was built in 1909, with some pretty darn good materials apparently. Sure, most of my friends don't have kids, but some do, and they live in those apartments. They can't believe I live down here. The question of noise cracks me up, but I am too polite to point out had bad their places are. Neighbors? The vast majority of my neighbors are professionals or med students. Extremely pleasant environment. My friends apartments in the burbs? Well, one lives above a drug dealer, one has neighbors whom he has called the cops on multiple times because of nonstop parties etc. Overall, a more rowdy crowd, but to be sure, more kids. I pay about 20% more for an apartment than they do but about 15% less room. I would raise a kid here in a heartbeat.

Your point about schools cannot be disputed, for sure.

My little urban area is pretty affordable compared to the metro as a whole. You just have to sacrifice some space.

Noise situation, I covered my own anecdotal story. However, the storage part strikes me very close to home(small apartment people know the struggle....I've often told my wife ..."If we just had ONE more closet..."

The last part, I might be in a unique situation, but I live within two blocks of the second largest mall in the metro. There are about 3 grocery stores within a 5min drive or about a 15 minutes bike ride if I am just getting a few things and feel like riding. Crime? Sure, it is surrounding my area, but it hasn't hit me like it has my friends. I think its teens, they seem to commit a lot of petty crime, like breaking into cars, vandalism etc. We simply don't see it as much down here since there are so darn few young teens.

My point? Well, I might have proved some of your points actually lol but I wanted to share how urban life works for me, and I hope(baring the school situation) I can bring a few kids into this world in the same place.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Indeed... just as long as they are willing to bear the costs of that choice.
Absolutely, you know we live on credit though.

I use to think people with nice cars and houses WERE RICH. Now, I know those are just the two biggest items people buy on credit.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 5:38 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Can some of you folks get any more opinionated? Some of us actually live in these kind of houses and neighborhoods (no not 5,000 s/f behemoths but big houses in the 'burbs with the yards and the whole nine yards). We also have three cars including an SUV and a truck.
Oh no, we're discussing urban issues on an urban issues site!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 5:53 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
That argument only holds up if it's a matter of subsidies for something that actually has a tangible societal benefit, such as healthcare, education, etc. but there needs to be data that actually demonstrates that there are net benefits, particularly when it comes to things that also cause serious problems rather than just having a financial cost.
What's defined as a social need and what distinguishes it from a personal want?

I'd think mobility would be one. It's also natural that an essential network would tend towards a monopoly and be best run as a public service.

Quote:
If the people making such lifestyle choices are really in the majority, why do they need subsidies?
Are you against public subsidies for healthcare?

I mean we all choose to live, so the economies of scale must make surgery free.

Also education. Everyone wants to go to school so just eliminate public schools right?

Last edited by llamaorama; Nov 25, 2017 at 6:13 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 3:24 PM
Dryer lint inspector

*Skyscraper* site.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 3:51 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
What's defined as a social need and what distinguishes it from a personal want?

I'd think mobility would be one. It's also natural that an essential network would tend towards a monopoly and be best run as a public service.
The difference comes in terms of whether or not it's something a society can support in a long term sustainable way without suffering significantly from negative side effects and externalities. If we decide that transportation is a public necessity, then we must decide how much everyone can have before it becomes too burdensome for society to bear. Once this is determined, we ensure that everyone has access to the best that a society can actually sustain, and if individuals want something costlier, they can choose to pay for it themselves.

If we're looking at transportation, we ask: "Can society afford for everyone to walk everywhere by building simple sidewalks? How about bike riding on simple, narrow streets? How about driving short distances using a simple road and highway network? What about everyone driving long distances using a large/complex road and highway network? How about everyone being able to fly short distances by helicopter? What about everyone commuting across the country by airplane? Still sustainable? You figure out where the limit is and draw the line, fund the best we can actually afford in terms of cost, practicality and the avoidance of negative externalities (pollution, danger, noise, congestion, etc.), fund it, and if others want to choose something more costly, let them pay for it.

In the case of transportation, it's become abundantly clear over the last few decades that everyone driving everywhere by car including commuting long distances is too costly in several ways for society to sustain, so if individuals want this they can pay for it themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Are you against public subsidies for healthcare?

I mean we all choose to live, so the economies of scale must make surgery free.

Also education. Everyone wants to go to school so just eliminate public schools right?
I already took time to address that so there's no need for me to rehash it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 4:18 PM
Closed account

It's possible to discuss "urban issues" without disparaging the lifestyle choices of others.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 5:05 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
If we're looking at transportation, we ask: "Can society afford for everyone to walk everywhere by building simple sidewalks? How about bike riding on simple, narrow streets? How about driving short distances using a simple road and highway network? What about everyone driving long distances using a large/complex road and highway network? How about everyone being able to fly short distances by helicopter? What about everyone commuting across the country by airplane? Still sustainable? You figure out where the limit is and draw the line, fund the best we can actually afford in terms of cost, practicality and the avoidance of negative externalities (pollution, danger, noise, congestion, etc.), fund it, and if others want to choose something more costly, let them pay for it.
I agree with this. Though where you draw that line depends on your political leanings. A left leaning person would set the threshold high because they'd also be in favor of higher public spending, a conservative leaning person would set it low because they'd be opposed to "redistribution".

There is not a strong or objective consensus on where the line should go, except for a historic(ancient) norm that streets are the commons.

Quote:
In the case of transportation, it's become abundantly clear over the last few decades that everyone driving everywhere by car including commuting long distances is too costly in several ways for society to sustain, so if individuals want this they can pay for it themselves.
It's a contrarian opinion but this is what I question. Keep in mind I am in favor of transit and walkability and think cities should build up not out. If I was a Saudi prince planning a blank slate new city in the desert, Simcity style, cities wouldn't be dependent on the car so much.

The vast majority of North American towns and cities are irreversibly autocentric and decentralized. It also is the lower income working class who must drive the most. This is unlikely to change. As autonomous vehicles come out and make smaller, cheaper, electric vehicles a viable choice and let you pay for rides without having to own the vehicle and pay for its insurance, I imagine a lot of people will do that because its simply more practical.

In the modern economy, most jobs are service jobs. Their jobs are located all over the city or region. Think suburban shopping centers, distribution warehouses, offices that get cleaned, homes of people who hire maids and lawn crews. These jobs are less likely to have consistent, weekday hours. Many work shift work or on weekends. At the same time, affordable and middle class housing is also spread out and often pushed to the edges of metro areas these days. Housing filters, or trickles down, in existing urban centers it is rarely built affordable at market rate from the start without government subsidies.

We all know that mass transit works best in more densely populated areas, with centralized clusters of employment. It doesn't work well in suburban environments. It is very difficult for most people to rely on suburban transit. Its not uncommon for the working poor to spend hours commuting by suburban transit every day. It limits their employability when their work schedule has to conform to bus schedules, and it takes away their ability to be with their family or do things with their kids.

The inconvenient truth is that attempting to reshape cities by raising the cost of driving by removing public funding for highways and implementing tolls, or even street level fees, is not going to work as well as people hope. Even if it did, it would take several decades and it would cause a lot of pain to the people who shouldn't be burdened with it. The working poor will just be nickled and dimed and have less disposable income because they'll have no choice but to still drive. The upper middle class and affluent will just pay the cost of tolls because they can afford it.

This thread is about McMansions, and the willingness of many people to choose that lifestyle and even pay the 'full cost' of it. Those McMansion dwellers will prefer to eat out in whatever cute town center has nice restaurants nearby. They'll go to the doctor and send their kids to schools and call plumbers and pool cleaners and buy toilet paper and cat food nearby. Hence service jobs will be local to these suburban areas too. And middle class jobs in support of those service jobs.

When you work at a warehouse along a highway 20 miles from the city from 5 am to 1 pm and your wife works at a clinic in the outer suburbs from 3 pm to 12 pm and you live in an apartment complex in the inner suburbs, guess what, you need a car. No transit will ever be able to serve these areas at those times efficiently unless you want to suffer a 2 hour, 3 transfer bus ride from hell.

That warehouse will never move in the city, because it would be even more costly. It will not pay the workers more to compensate for their commuting costs, because the marginal value of their labor won't also magically increase. Increases in wages for those workers will be driven by macroeconomic factors and how well they compete with foreign labor, you don't get COL adjustments in near minimum wage jobs(shocker).

The clinic will be in the outer suburbs because it wants to be closer to the McMansion dwellers who are its customers, it does not care about where its workers live.

So what's to be done then? Well, maybe we could reign in sprawl by strategically focusing road and transportation spending. Local governments would extend the grid of streets and utility lines to stimulate somewhat denser suburban growth with urban nodes and clusters of jobs near affordable housing.

But guess what, this implies government is spending on roads. Its not quite the market urbanism that some espouse. That would mean little government spending on transportation(short of some piddly streetcars in certain areas so it can pretend to be progressive), and hence no strategy and no growth management and no density and no compactness.

Just rich people making the choice to still pay for sprawl, sprawl existing because their preference reigns supreme, and the 99% living in the sprawl not out of choice and being under house arrest because they have to pay congestion charges to leave their trailer parks. Sounds like hell to me.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 8:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Can some of you folks get any more opinionated? Some of us actually live in these kind of houses and neighborhoods (no not 5,000 s/f behemoths but big houses in the 'burbs with the yards and the whole nine yards). We also have three cars including an SUV and a truck.
Are we not allowed to have opinions and express them on this discussion forum?

I would probably hate to live where you choose to live, and you might very well hate to live where I choose to live. It's ok; we're not supposed to all like the same things.

I know what I like (walking) and I know what I don't like (autocentric design), and fortunately I've been blessed to have the opportunity to choose a life that has allowed me to avoid living in post-war american built environments.

If you like living where you do, that's super. I will simply never understand the appeal of it, that's all.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 9:15 PM
BANNED

Would you guys consider LA's Hancock Park and Windsor Square to be older McM-land? They're from the 1920's and was built on the fringe of what is now downtown Los Angeles. Low density for LA standards. It functioned in the same way that today's McMansions do. Fringe development with larger homes on large lots that one could not find in the central city. It is one of the most expensive and desirable inner city neighborhoods of today's Los Angeles.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0650.../data=!3m1!1e3

Streetview:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0676...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 10:10 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
*Skyscraper* site.
Obviously this site is also about urban planning, land use, and other similar issues. We even have a forum called "city discussions." And we're in...a thread titled "McMansion suburbs" where discussing mcmansion suburbs is kind of the point.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 1:12 AM
Dryer lint inspector

^ We have far more threads and forums dedicated to skyscrapers and skyscraper construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Are we not allowed to have opinions and express them on this discussion forum?

I would probably hate to live where you choose to live, and you might very well hate to live where I choose to live. It's ok; we're not supposed to all like the same things.

I know what I like (walking) and I know what I don't like (autocentric design), and fortunately I've been blessed to have the opportunity to choose a life that has allowed me to avoid living in post-war american built environments.

If you like living where you do, that's super. I will simply never understand the appeal of it, that's all.
I get that suburbia is not the first choice for most here. It isn't for me either...but I still live here. Many others here do as well. It would just be nice to not to see where I live and the type of home live in bashed an a routine basis. It's one thing to poke some fun at some of these neighborhoods and some of the crappily designed houses...I have zero issues with that but some folks take things beyond that and start making social commentary.

Too many assumptions here as to why people choose to live where. I have a friend here who is on a teacher's salary and is highly insistent on living in Houston's most urban areas but is quickly finding she can't afford what she wants. Between, condo fees, taxes and rising cost of real-estate, she's either going to have to live in a shit area or move outside 'the loop' and live in a more suburban area.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 3:48 AM

To the person who suggested people move closer to work....white flight and the suburbanization of our society affected businesses as much as residents. There are tons of jobs in the suburbs. In Philly, plenty of people "reverse commute" to the burbs for work, so much so that some major corporations (Vanguard is one example) are opening satellite offices in the city to maintain and attract young talent. But the point is, not all jobs are downtown and I might add, not all people want to or can afford to live close to their jobs.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 4:41 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
It would just be nice to not to see where I live and the type of home live in bashed an a routine basis. It's one thing to poke some fun at some of these neighborhoods and some of the crappily designed houses...I have zero issues with that but some folks take things beyond that and start making social commentary.
Well, I don't think my input on the issue has gone down the social commentary rabbit hole, I just really, really don't like places that are primarily designed for automobiles instead of humans.

We built human communities for human beings for thousands upond thousands of years, but then some asshole went and invented the automobile and Every. Single. Last. Mother. Fucking. Thing. that had guided how human communities were organized and built since the dawn of civilization was stupidly thrown out of the window for the post-war auto-centric bullshit that replaced millenia's worth of common sense.

It royally sucks in my opinion, but my opinion is clearly a minority one.

Praise Pizza God that I have at least been a afforded a proper legacy urban bubble to dwell and insulate myself within! I just want to walk.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 26, 2017 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 12:39 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Well, I don't think my input on the issue has gone down the social commentary rabbit hole, I just really, really don't like places that are primarily designed for automobiles instead of humans.
No, you haven't. I'm a car guy...but I don't like places that are primarily designed for automobiles instead of humans either. It was the "New Coke" of urban design. We have 3 cars and I'm looking at a 4th but I prefer walking any chance I can get as well; more convenient, healthier and often quicker. I'm glad the community I live in is one of the few areas in the city that has trails crisscrossing it that allows people to access the entire area on foot or bike away from car traffic.

Quote:
Praise Pizza God that I have at least been a afforded a proper legacy urban bubble to dwell and insulate myself within! I just want to walk.
I had a taste of what you're living in now but on a much much smaller scale living in upstate NY; small villages dating back to the mid to late 18th century that evolved into inner ring suburbs over time. No commuter rails or subways (too small) but established waaaaay before the car.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions