HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 3:17 AM

Curious if others feel Portsmouth Village or at least the area to the south will be developed more?

There's that old Marine Museum that's closed up, it's a shame it's not being used. It could be such a thriving waterfront area it seems.

Edit: found this on the city's website. Does anyone here know more about this proposal?
https://www.cityofkingston.ca/docume...d-be37afaac41f

Last edited by Addy; Feb 16, 2017 at 3:38 AM. Reason: added link

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 4:42 AM

^ All of that is conditional on the federal government selling the land. Redevelopment of federal lands tends to be an agonizingly slow process.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
^ All of that is conditional on the federal government selling the land. Redevelopment of federal lands tends to be an agonizingly slow process.
Thanks for that. There's a house on the unit block Yonge for sale, and within the possibility (pribabiity?) of the Penetentiary site and marina areas being developed I'm mulling over if it would go up a fair bit in value.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 6:37 AM

I live in Portsmouth and I own my house there; near the corner of Union & Yonge.

The commercial strip of the village is doing okay.. some new places have opened lately. There's some intensification activity and the long-term redevelopment of the waterfront could be a game-changer.

Student tenants from Queen's are surprisingly well-available here, despite the relative distance from the university's main campus; lots of education students as the education faculty is in Portsmouth and some students are attracted to the area as it provides some quiet isolation from the party-heavy atmosphere of the main student district, yet still easily accessible to the main campus and the downtown core by transit. You'll actually get better quality tenants in Portsmouth for that reason.. as you can imagine, the types of students that choose to live outside party-central make for less problematic tenants.

If you have space to rent and you're looking for cash flow, I'd say Portsmouth Village is a great investment. Properties are cheap yet potential rental revenues are high. For appreciation... I dunno. It's a crapshoot, really. I wouldn't bet on a big increase but it could happen.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:04 AM

There's a few exciting developments, not building specific but may lead to developments happening.

SNC Lavolin is opening an office near the bus depot, just south of John Counter Blvd: http://www.thewhig.com/2017/06/08/tr...ingston-office

And Kingston Transit Releasing Real-Time Travel Data for Mobile Apps
http://kingstonherald.com/tech/kings...ata-2010319274

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:06 AM

I have this feeling if Kingston had its own subforum, the conversations may increase. Does anyone else feel the same way? How do I request our own subforum?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Go with McBurney Park. Affordable, close to downtown, close to the military base, good transit, pretty streets.
We ended up buying a beautiful, well maintained old house in this neighbourhood. We haven't moved in yet and already know a few neighbours and my kids have met some friends. McBurney (Skeleton) Park area is amazzzzzing! Thank you for suggesting it.

Last edited by Addy; Jun 9, 2017 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Sloppy spelling

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
I have this feeling if Kingston had its own subforum, the conversations may increase. Does anyone else feel the same way? How do I request our own subforum?
I feel like there's not enough of us. It's really just me and you in Kingston, I think. (Right now my "location" is set to Kladno, Czech Republic because I'm here for most of the summer, but I'll be back in a couple months).

There's a few people in SSP that don't live here but seem to take interest in what happens here (some, manny_santos used to live here). I don't think there's enough for own subforum, really.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
We ended up buying a beautiful, well maintained old house in this neighbourhood. We haven't moved in yet and already know a few neighbours and my kids have met some friends. McBurney (Skeleton) Park area is amazzzzzing! Hank you fur suggesting it.
No problem. Enjoy it, it's a great corner of the city.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
There's a few exciting developments, not building specific but may lead to developments happening.

SNC Lavolin is opening an office near the bus depot, just south of John Counter Blvd: http://www.thewhig.com/2017/06/08/tr...ingston-office
Great for Kingston (skilled private sector jobs are badly needed here), and a good choice for SNC Lavalin. There's plenty of talent coming out of the university every year for this sort of thing, and with prices in Toronto out of control it should be easier than it was before to convince grads to stay in the city instead of going back home to the GTA.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Great for Kingston (skilled private sector jobs are badly needed here), and a good choice for SNC Lavalin. There's plenty of talent coming out of the university every year for this sort of thing, and with prices in Toronto out of control it should be easier than it was before to convince grads to stay in the city instead of going back home to the GTA.
I'm actually thinking of coming back, in large part due to the cost of living in the GTA. No place is perfect and I had my reasons for relocating to the GTA, but I'm realizing now Kingston has a much better quality of life than Toronto. It really depends on what you're looking for, and at this stage I'm looking at affordable home ownership and a lifestyle where I don't have to spend an hour each way on a crowded subway every day.

Gotta find a job first.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 8:42 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I'm actually thinking of coming back, in large part due to the cost of living in the GTA. No place is perfect and I had my reasons for relocating to the GTA, but I'm realizing now Kingston has a much better quality of life than Toronto. It really depends on what you're looking for, and at this stage I'm looking at affordable home ownership and a lifestyle where I don't have to spend an hour each way on a crowded subway every day.

Gotta find a job first.
The option of hopping on the train for a couple of hours for a weekend in Toronto and Montreal (for those inevitable times when one yearns to try some new restaurants etc) is so invaluable. In all of Canada, really only Kingston can offer that option. Also, having the riches of Prince Edward County next door is a huge benefit as well.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
The option of hopping on the train for a couple of hours for a weekend in Toronto and Montreal (for those inevitable times when one yearns to try some new restaurants etc) is so invaluable. In all of Canada, really only Kingston can offer that option. Also, having the riches of Prince Edward County next door is a huge benefit as well.
Kingston would see tremendous growth if it got solid rail service. I mean hourly departures to Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. But I'm not sure that's what VIA is proposing in their new proposal for Kingston.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Kingston would see tremendous growth if it got solid rail service. I mean hourly departures to Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. But I'm not sure that's what VIA is proposing in their new proposal for Kingston.
Last I heard, Kingston is supposed to get improved VIA service as part of this deal. Mayor Paterson talked about this in a CKWS interview a few weeks ago.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 12:51 AM

They also printed an article in the Kingston Whig-Standard, and Kingston this week papers...Mayor Patterson confirmed that there is going to be money spent on the train station and its equipment...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
They also printed an article in the Kingston Whig-Standard, and Kingston this week papers...Mayor Patterson confirmed that there is going to be money spent on the train station and its equipment...
One thing I always loved about this station is the ability to load from either side. Only other improvement I could see is adding a third line down the middle so that freight could bypass two trains simultaneously loading.

In terms of adding to the station, pretty sure it has WiFi and decent washrooms. Last I remembered is had a nice check in counter as well. Perhaps adding more parking or a better pick-up/drop-off and taxis stands?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 7:12 PM

Last edited by le calmar; Sep 30, 2019 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:37 PM

Former No Frills on Bagot/Charles

Does anyone know what's up with this now vacant land? It sounds like Loblaws sold the property to a developer, but I can't find any solid information. Or if there's been a proposal send to the City. Anyone here know anything about this property?

I'm also curious to find photos of the No Frills when it was operating. I couldn't see anything on google images.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 11:37 PM

That property has been vacant for a very long time because of a standoff between City Council and Loblaws.

When Loblaws moved the store, they didn't want the old location to become a different grocery store that could take business away from their new location, so they added a covenant to the property, barring whoever bought it from including a grocery store on the site. But City Council, spurred on by local residents annoyed at the loss of the local store (even though Food Basics has a store in the neighbourhood too, only a kilometre away), included a zoning rule that did exactly the opposite: it banned any development from being approved unless it had a grocery store! So the result was a contradiction that made it impossible for the site to ever be developed.

If the site was sold to a developer it means that either the City Council finally relented and removed the zoning rule.. or it means a bold developer bought it anyway and is planning to lobby for the zoning to change, possibly with a planned fight against the city in the OMB if they say no.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 1:48 PM

Thanks for this information. But UGH, how annoying! And bad on Loblaws to want this. It may not happen in our lifetime, but at some point Kingston will be built up to the point it may make sense to put a small grocery store here (I'm thinking of the "boutique" grocery stores in downtown larger Canadian cities). I'm frankly a bit disgusted by Loblaws... and I own their stock. I feel so dirty!!!

Do you mind if I post your words in our local facebook group? It's for the Skeleton Park neighbourhood, and residents would be interested in knowing the info you provided.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario