HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupcheck View Post
So where are we with shift? What is next?
From August 3 to September 18, this is the period of public review of the Shift RT Master Plan.

After that, is the Pre-TPAP period (TPAP = Transit Project Assessment Process) which goes through the remainder of 2017. Not long after, begins the actual TPAP period which is mandated to go for 120 days.

The city estimates that they will send it all off to the province for review in September 2018; there may or may not be a new government in Queen's Park then.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 10:33 PM
Sanity merchant

http://london.ctvnews.ca/video#1221681

City begins acquiring lands for BRT lanes

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
There is plenty of blame to spread around. As with most government procurement projects they almost always fail and at every level. Feds, Prov, Municipal. Procurement in IT is probably the worst with the best being buying pencils, paper and loads of gravel. But even that has many examples of failure. $500 pencil sharpeners ring any bells in the education sector?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...-ibm-1.3770947

To paint this as a left vs right wing problem is wrong because as the root cause is in the nature of procurement.

Procurement should be thrown away and re-thought completely. It is an epic failure!
I work for the fedgov and I totally agree that the procurement system is a dog's breakfast and desperately in need of an overhaul.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
well, they shifted down, as per the course.

Of course I was going to be disappointed. London, you know.
Outside of what I read here in the forum, I've heard virtually nothing about BRT in the last three or four months and was beginning to wonder if the city had deep-sixed the project already.

On a related note, I've seen some stirrings from the Down Shift people lately. It looks like they're going to try to whip up or shore up more support for their cause, now that an election is not too far off.

If Cheng is the Harrisite everyone thinks he is, he will promise to immediately kill BRT if he wins. When their electoral fortunes are on the skids, conservatives always try to get the populist vote and that means pandering to mouth-breathing, low-information, wilfully ignorant people, sad to say.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo26 View Post
Outside of what I read here in the forum, I've heard virtually nothing about BRT in the last three or four months and was beginning to wonder if the city had deep-sixed the project already.

On a related note, I've seen some stirrings from the Down Shift people lately. It looks like they're going to try to whip up or shore up more support for their cause, now that an election is not too far off.

If Cheng is the Harrisite everyone thinks he is, he will promise to immediately kill BRT if he wins. When their electoral fortunes are on the skids, conservatives always try to get the populist vote and that means pandering to mouth-breathing, low-information, wilfully ignorant people, sad to say.
Honestly as much as want a better public transit system in London, I wouldn't mind seeing the current proposed plan fail due to the numerous flaws and service gaps. Maybe if that happens will see a better plan rise up from the ashes of the old one? But that's just some wishful thinking.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 5:48 PM

To me the city's first priority MUST be to get the funding assurances from QP & Ottawa so any change in government does not put the plan on-hold.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 6:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo26 View Post
When their electoral fortunes are on the skids, conservatives always try to get the populist vote and that means pandering to mouth-breathing, low-information, wilfully ignorant people, sad to say.

Indeed, that is the game that conservatives often play. Which is why they will never get my vote.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
To me the city's first priority MUST be to get the funding assurances from QP & Ottawa so any change in government does not put the plan on-hold.
The project could still be delayed even with the funding, my biggest worry is that the DownShift crowd might be able to put enough pressure on politicians to get there way (which is moving the main north rapid route off of Richmond onto Wharncliffe, which is a terrible idea). Not to mention there's still the unresolved issue with Western.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 3:55 PM

Western should steer clear of the city decisions on transportation. They should worry about putting a leash on their wild (animals with human faces) students that they can not control. Not block the city that is trying to do their job! Western and its students are becoming the shame of our city.
Western University has a lot of work to do to repair their tainted name as a party university. Their campus has more garbage littering surrounding the immediate neighborhoods than a third world country in crisis.
Why don't they party on their stadium football field instead, but they are allowed to trash city streets? If these students have so much pent up energy why don't they put it to good use by doing something rewarding and not useless drinking. I bet you the parents that send these kids there do not appreciate their kids behavior. Western Leaders you need to fix this, the problem starts at the top!!!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 7:31 PM

As much as I would LOveee to debate with the anti-conservatives I see on this page all day. The fact is that the Kitchener/Waterloo LRT opens next year.. which Harpers Conservative government helped fund....and we are here still arguing without a shovel in the ground. This is LONDON!! Things happen very slowly here regardless of the political colors.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 4:32 PM

$370M ask to Feds and Prov to fund BRT.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/10/05/bi...ns-budget-list

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 2:51 PM

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/10/15/ma...emands-shakeup

My personal opinion here..I don't get this guy's thinking behind rapid transit. Essentially taking the city a step backwards if he won. Anyone against dedicated rapid transit lanes is against the city growing in my opinion especially if it will almost be ready for construction which it should be by then. Also why build a cheaper version when all levels of government and all political colors at federal and provincial level will fund it. I don't get him.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserLDN View Post

My personal opinion here..I don't get this guy's thinking behind rapid transit. Essentially taking the city a step backwards if he won. Anyone against dedicated rapid transit lanes is against the city growing in my opinion especially if it will almost be ready for construction which it should be by then. Also why build a cheaper version when all levels of government and all political colors at federal and provincial level will fund it. I don't get him.
London. So much potential. And forever remains potential, because of politicians like this.

I would love to move London when my military career ends. The more I read though, the more I am convinced that London won't actually capitalize on its urban potential in my lifetime.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 4:53 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Indeed, that is the game that conservatives often play. Which is why they will never get my vote.
As if the Liberals have the moral high ground. The Federal Tax Reform debacle provides more than enough evidence for this. And we don't even need to get started on how our lovely premier thinks she can bribe us with our own money. Politicians of all stripes appeal to and prey on low-information voters.

Frankly, most of the population is incapable of holding any meaningful political opinions, let alone making well-informed civic decisions. This is not necessarily because the majority of people are stupid (although some certainly are), but because they have neither the time nor the interest to devote themselves to research and healthy democratic debate. Having worked in an office environment for four years now, I've met a great deal many people who are intelligent and capable, but due to their demanding jobs, they only ever spend a few minutes at the end of every day reading or watching media that reinforces their world view. Once they're done reflecting on what was said inside their respective echo-chambers, they give themselves a pat on the back and then go to bed thinking they're well-informed adults. This is equally true of the diehard Liberals as it is of diehard Conservatives. A pox on both their houses. And a pox on the universities who churn these people out and, with a straight face, tell them that they're the "leaders of the future".

Quote:
As much as I would LOveee to debate with the anti-conservatives I see on this page all day. The fact is that the Kitchener/Waterloo LRT opens next year.. which Harpers Conservative government helped fund....and we are here still arguing without a shovel in the ground. This is LONDON!! Things happen very slowly here regardless of the political colors.
Exactly. This is a London problem. Because London is a lovely city that, unfortunately, is perennially run by small-minded, unimaginative people who seem to think they are in control of Woodstock (but are responsible for something about ten times larger), with an electorate that fails to demand better of its officials, probably for the reasons that I mentioned above. I'd be rich if I had a dollar each time I've heard (very opinionated) older Londoners say "rapid transit is just NOT the solution, we need more traffic lanes" (and, conversely, younger Londoners who say "who cares, I'm planning to move to Toronto soon anyways").

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 4:32 PM

We like it or not, London is expanding and getting more population. Let's get going with the Rapid Transit and get it done. It is a need not a want.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:

Paolatto has likely already found both a constituency and a means of funding his campaign in the DownShift people and those who are sympathetic to DownShift. Now all he has to do is try to swing others who are sitting on the fence on BRT over to his cause. And getting all those people, including the downshifters, to start beating the anti-BRT drums loud enough, hard enough and long enough to drown out any opposition.

I'm sure Paolotto knows deep down that BRT, done right, would be of benefit to London. He's clearly just another opportunistic politician who has figured out where London's weak spots are and how to exploit them.

Morever, he doesn't need to look only to the anti-BRT and maybe-against-BRT crowd to win. He can keep hammering on what a poor mayor Brown has been, and he can probably get votes from people who dislike Brown more than they dislike BRT.

When it comes to forward-thinking and innovation and lack thereof, London has to be one of the worst cities in North America. It's like we don't know that forward thinking and innovation is the key to economic growth.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 10:55 PM

I found a couple more articles about BRT:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3821064/l...ard-6-meeting/

I find it funny how people are now complaining about the Oxford/Richmond railroad crossing, saying it's going to be slow. Well, maybe you all shouldn't have bitched about it and the tunnel would still be in the plan..

As well as the woman talking about how the 'city' couldn't get a condo built right without lanes for the delivery trucks. Which I ask, is the city even responsible for that? I'm pretty sure that's the developer who decides that, not the city.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3789069/a...2018-election/

Ok, so what's even the point in electing people to run our city when people just bitch about everything they do, and want to make decisions themselves?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:14 PM

Putting it on the ballot is dumb. I hate that because only one side cares enough which a small minority. The large majority and what it will do to the city is not factored in because that's the politicians job. An example is a Vancouver subway which was put on the ballot that ended up being voted down. Now they still want it built and it probably will be built. Point is that this will get voted down unfairly then in the end we will get it anyways (with a 10 year delay ). These people that complain wont care by then because half of them will be dead by the time it will be built and we will be stuck with there issues.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ents-1.3134857

Its a little different because Vancouver was adding a .5% tax but same idea. ^^^

https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/10/16/U...oadway-Subway/

This article above. The developers as of this October 2017 article prepping for line extension for the subway. Just one big delay even though harper was on board to fund it at that time.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:19 PM

I'm not going to lie, I can't get very excited about our rapid transit plans. Should the entire plan be ditched and we start from scratch? I wish we would have done what K/W has done - instead of building 2 lines of bus transit, build one LRT line at a time. Do it smaller and do it right and then build on that. We have watered down the original plans so much that avid transit proponents are not excited about it and anti-transit people will continue to try to kill it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:27 PM

Shouldn't Rapid Transit get in gear with the High Speed Rail plans? I know they are two different projects, but they do compliment each other when it comes to moving people?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure