HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
I'm not going to lie, I can't get very excited about our rapid transit plans. Should the entire plan be ditched and we start from scratch? I wish we would have done what K/W has done - instead of building 2 lines of bus transit, build one LRT line at a time. Do it smaller and do it right and then build on that. We have watered down the original plans so much that avid transit proponents are not excited about it and anti-transit people will continue to try to kill it.
I honestly would prefer that, if the underpass portion of the LRT route was going to be the major cost and pain with the tunnel just say screw it and proceed with a single line from the airport to the Oxford/Wonderland mark. Then later on add a north/south route.

Short term it would not be ideal however it would still solve a major need and LTC could improve the North/South routes accordingly.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupcheck View Post
Shouldn't Rapid Transit get in gear with the High Speed Rail plans? I know they are two different projects, but they do compliment each other when it comes to moving people?
There is a concept for a future underground tunnel under the CN railtracks linking Clarance where the RT could be moved to.

There may be a chance that the HSR station isn't built at the current location, but shifted either east or west. A lot is up in the air about the design for high speed rail.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to lie, I can't get very excited about our rapid transit plans. Should the entire plan be ditched and we start from scratch? I wish we would have done what K/W has done - instead of building 2 lines of bus transit, build one LRT line at a time. Do it smaller and do it right and then build on that. We have watered down the original plans so much that avid transit proponents are not excited about it and anti-transit people will continue to try to kill it.
You hit the nail on the head, unfortunately I feel that London's do nothing attitude will win out in the end.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 9:36 PM

The B in BRT stands for boring. Rail is at least sort of exciting and cool. I just can't buy into half a billion dollars (closer to a billion by the time this actually happens) to have faster bus service. Where's the proof of concept that Londoners actually want to take a bus that gets you part way across town (since they aren't going all the way across) a minute or 2 faster than the current bus system does, but still manages to take double the time you can drive it? I leave my house in the southwest, go to the airport, right through downtown, in 24 minutes at 730am. BRT won't even come within miles of my house, or my job.

Really, if they are going with buses, spend the money on some overpasses at certain rail crossings, look at some select intersections that you can put an overpass at (Oxford/Highbury, Wellington/Commissioners), join up some missing links of roads like Bradley and perhaps Killaly/Windermere/Gainsborough (the northern link of a ring road if council had some balls). Make the traffic run easier for everyone, and the buses will be "rapid".

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:01 PM
User Registered

Quote:
I hate to say it but I agree. While I am in favor of rapid transit, BRT is lame. It's just (nice) bus service.

If we lose lanes for trains, that's a good trade-off, but losing it for buses what the heck man that's pavement cars could drive on!

Can we get a streetcar system instead perhaps? A good compromise between LRT and BRT.

ALSO we should look at using non-road corridors as much as possible to minimize traffic disruption. Thames Valley Parkway / power corridors / CP line parallel routes would make a lot of sense. That is somewhat similar to what Waterloo region is doing.

I'm kind of singing a sad song though. What we have approved is something, and even though it sucks it will be better than nothing. Get it funded before election time please!

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:01 PM

Sorry what HSR plans? All that has been announced is $15M to study HSR. A study does not equal HSR. It is just a Liberal election gimmick.

P.S. has any of the study even started yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupcheck View Post
Shouldn't Rapid Transit get in gear with the High Speed Rail plans? I know they are two different projects, but they do compliment each other when it comes to moving people?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Sorry what HSR plans? All that has been announced is $15M to study HSR. A study does not equal HSR. It is just a Liberal election gimmick.

P.S. has any of the study even started yet?
After the election there will be another study to study the past studies at which time they will have realized they spent hundreds of millions of dollars on studies and wont build a damn thing.

In my opinion the federal government should be stepping in, all the people involved from all provincial parties sit down and come up with an agreed upon plan because as a country HSR is something we want. Make a plan, do the damn study and get building. That is the only way I see this ever happening because if NDP/Conserv/etc get voted in for example they will certainly want to do their own study and tweak this and that which creates an endless cycle of nothing.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 4:27 AM

Quote:
I think we should do 2 things. Instead of BRT, we should be trying to change it to LRT. What's the point in getting faster bus service by 2030? By then, I feel it would be pretty much obsolete. LRT would require less lanes, more efficient in the long run, we could actually look at building the tunnel under Richmond and Oxford, I just think its a better idea to start with LRT.

The second thing is the LTC needs to completely redo all of their routes. The NIMBYism of this city caused some of these unnecessary and screwed up routes that never sync with each other. I used to take the bus a lot and I always hated it, the way the buses were timed and the way the routes are, its hard to get anywhere on time. To give you an example, when I went to college, It took me an hour to get to school. When I bought a car, it turned to 20 minutes. In fact, while writing this I got the idea to draw up my own routing system here in the city, so I'll have to come back and show you guys. But basically I feel the routes need to be on main roads only, with some side routes connecting to the main ones, but they all should be syncing with each other.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure