HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That's the nature of design-build projects. Get a general concept down then refine as you're building. Transitway project is heavy with this approach.
That's not a defining characteristic of design build, and design build or otherwise, it's everyone's goal to have plans confirmed and completed first. However, in order to do things the way TNS is, it often has to be a design build situation or something like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
All these good words about PCL. Nobody here must have to work with them.
I've heard good and bad.

That they're great at what they do, great at all the office part of the job, great at THEIR job on site.... but horrible to work under, and if you ever are in charge of them, nice try getting them to listen to you.

But that ultimately they, as an operation, are good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
I never thought a benefit of design-build is that construction work commences before the final design is detailed - I think that is pretty risky way to undertake a project. As for phased projects, like the transitway, that is indeed the nature, but more to do with the actual phasing than the type of contractual arrangements.
This ^

Last edited by Wolf13; Nov 1, 2017 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's one thing working for them, it's another to be a sub for them. Nobody wants to work as a sub for those guys anymore. It's all the companies scrounging for work.
Ah, that makes sense.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 5:24 PM
Ignore these four words.

Is the re-cladding of 360 Main complete?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 5:25 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ No, still going. It's mostly just the detail work now.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 5:31 PM
Ignore these four words.

Ok, thanks Esq.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 6:10 PM

[QUOTE=Wolf13;7972479]That's not a defining characteristic of design build, and design build or otherwise, it's everyone's goal to have plans confirmed and completed first. However, in order to do things the way TNS is, it often has to be a design build situation or something like it.[QUOTE]

I can find out what the process has been for TNS and provide an update.

On the transportation side, design-builds and P3's most definitely do not have finalized designs before construction starts. Looking at transitway project and 59N/101 as two current examples.

Although there are general designs in place. Such as we're going to build an interchange in this configuration, with these bridges and this many lanes of road. All the details are just estimates. Everything will shift and adjust during the final design, which tends to happen in bits.

You get enough design done, so they can start building one portion, such as the structures, prior to finalizing a service road alignment that has nothing to do with anything. It's like a just-in-time delivery method for construction.

Anyways way off topic for this thread. Back on topic, I notice details are slowly being completed on 360 Main. Most of the corners are on, still some black strips to go. Slowly getting there.

I did notice the ventilation work that was installed for 300 Main in the food court area. Some shiny metal ducts are there, but nothing hooked up yet as you can see straight into the ducts.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 5:47 PM

[QUOTE=bomberjet;7975310]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Anyways way off topic for this thread. Back on topic, I notice details are slowly being completed on 360 Main. Most of the corners are on, still some black strips to go. Slowly getting there.
I work across the street at BellMTS...I've noticed that the finishing work at 360 has become painfully slow in the last couple months. Just a couple of workers working on the corners and hardly anymore black capping going up since the summer.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 5:50 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ You'd think they would have wrapped it up before the weather turned miserable again.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan