HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
A St Martha's Brasserie has opened in the (west-facing) penthouse of the new apartment tower at the corner of St Laurent and Dunbarton (entrance to Cardinal Glen). I haven't eaten there, but the interior is rather nice (I thought "hotel restaurant" if that makes any sense) - the highlight being the view of the Ottawa skyline (Man, is it ever flat viewed from that side!). Looked to me like a good place for a business lunch, or maybe date night. Sorry to post about a place I haven't tried, but the surprising location and the view seemed worth a mention.
That's very cool, I will check that out!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 5:05 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
A St Martha's Brasserie has opened in the (west-facing) penthouse of the new apartment tower at the corner of St Laurent and Dunbarton (entrance to Cardinal Glen). I haven't eaten there, but the interior is rather nice (I thought "hotel restaurant" if that makes any sense) - the highlight being the view of the Ottawa skyline (Man, is it ever flat viewed from that side!). Looked to me like a good place for a business lunch, or maybe date night. Sorry to post about a place I haven't tried, but the surprising location and the view seemed worth a mention.
Some photos:
http://www.goodfoodservedwell.com/br...e-460/gallery/

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Do they have the ground floor and the penthouse floor?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
"Plates principaux"

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 7:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
"Plates principaux"
I always give points for trying. Most do not even try these days.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Do they have the ground floor and the penthouse floor?
Yes. The one on the main floor is a cafe.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:16 PM
National Capital Region

https://www.agco.ca/sites/default/fi...er_30_2017.pdf

Jackson - 50 MacKenzie King Bridge [Ottawa Art Gallery] - Application for a Sales Licence Indoor and Outdoor Area
Luxe Bistro - 47 York Street - Application for Additional Facilities Indoor Area
Quelque Chose Pattiserie - 379 Richmond Road - Application for a Sales Licence Indoor and Outdoor Area
Saab Salon.Spa - 376-378 Bank Street - Application for a Sales Licence Indoor Area
Thanjai Restaurant - 108 Third Avenue - Application for a Sales Licence Indoor and Outdoor Area

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 4:40 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Popular Little Italy eatery The Rex to close at the end of 2017

Peter Hum, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: November 2, 2017 | Last Updated: November 2, 2017 11:07 AM EDT

The Rex, a cosy eatery on Adeline Street known for its well crafted soups and sandwiches at lunch and weekend dinners, is to close at the end of the year.

The four-year-old eatery, opened by chef-owner Cody Starr, posted this message on Wednesday on social media:

On Facebook, fans of the restaurant expressed their dismay. “You have consistently served the best steak I have ever had!!” wrote one. “Friends and I have enjoyed your wonderful food (understatement) on several occasions and hoped to do so for years to come. Please let us all know if you plan to serve your yumminess at another location in the future,” wrote another.

“The Rex means to offer refined, well-crafted versions of familiar, comforting food,” a 2014 Citizen review noted. The restaurant’s current lunch menu posted online includes some of its signature offerings, including a Reuben sandwich made with short-rib pastrami, shepherd’s pie made with short ribs and mac and cheese with roasted broccoli, served in a small cast-iron pan.

In an interview, Starr said that he was closing his business due to some recent health issues. “I just need to take a step back to get my health back on track,” he said, noting that, among other things, he is to undergo surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome. Starr, 34, added that he’s engaged to be married next year and hopes to start a family.

The Rex is to serve its last lunch Dec. 22, Starr said. He owns the Adeline Street building, and has found a tenant to open a new restaurant there in the new year.

The Rex, Starr said, was financially viable. It made a profit last year and the business had continued to grow via word of mouth.

Starr said that owning his own restaurant had been his dream since childhood, and he was grateful that he was able to do it for as long as he was. He said he does hope to return to cooking when he’s able.

“I love cooking,” Starr said. “It’s what I was born to do.”

phum@postmedia.com
twitter.com/peterhum

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/food/p...he-end-of-2017

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 6:21 PM

One of the better kept secrets in the east end is Cat's Fish & Chips. Was in there the other night, was busy enough and Skip the Dishes kept stopping to pick up deliveries. The beer battered haddock was outstanding! Service was extremely friendly and laid back.

http://www.catsfishandchips.com/

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 2:27 AM

Went to Bar Lupulus last week. The food was fine but not incredible, I quite enjoyed the capellini pasta with clams but also got the main with sea bass and felt like the flavours didn't quite fully mesh together - wasn't bad, just wasn't phenomenal. The wedges and charcuterie were pretty good as well though so overall, decent.

The beer on the other hand is awesome. Their rotating tap menu had lots of stuff at that point from Stone City Ales, Bellwoods, some Burdock and Great Lakes, Sawdust City, etc. I LOVED the 4oz pours, they were all $2.50-3 for anything on the rotating taps, and that's what we drank all night. There was a ton of great bottle selection too, but there were so many great taps to try that we didn't even get around to bottles. I'll be back lots I'm sure. Easily new favourite beer spot in town.

Also, GongFu Bao is doing an indiegogo to help get their kitchen and decor set up in Centretown:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...-restaurant/#/

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 6:08 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa chef finds recipe for success in burger theme park model
Pakenham’s Matt Dobry believes partnering his food trucks with shopping malls and big-box stores will create a combo worth savouring

By: Bruce Firestone, OBJ
Published: Nov 22, 2017 3:28pm EST

Like a big, juicy cheeseburger and fries, food and real estate go hand in hand.

Location, after all, plays a vital part in many restaurants’ success. And an Ottawa-area chef believes he can capitalize on the popularity of his hamburger joint by partnering with shopping malls and big-box stores such as Home Depot to create an effective and sustainable business model.

But can you really build a real estate business out of beef? Matt Dobry thinks so, and he’s out to prove it.

The certified Red Seal Chef is a 37-year-old parent of three beautiful little girls with his spouse, naturopathic doctor Kealy Mann. They live in the small town of Pakenham, about 20 minutes west of Ottawa by car.

Mr. Dobry has been in the food business since he was 15, starting at a KFC restaurant on Highway 401 near Toronto, followed by a three-summer stint as a server at Upper Canada Village (complete with 19th-century costume).

He tried college for three years until his then-girlfriend (now his wife) noticed how much he hated it. She also pointed out that he’d never missed a shift serving at Cordon Bleu. Why not do what you love full-time, she wondered aloud?

With help from his in-laws and a few maxed-out credit cards, Mr. Dobry enrolled in a private culinary school. Eventually, he and his growing family moved from Toronto to Pakenham, and he started working at the House of Commons restaurant as a sous-chef feeding everyone from the prime minister to backbench MPs.

It was a great gig, made even better by the fact that Mr. Dobry is fluent in French. But despite the predictable working hours, great benefits and superior pension, he knew the opportunities for advancement on the Hill were limited, and the entrepreneur inside him was calling.

Burger builder

For advice and coaching, he turned to Invest Ottawa and Mark Cawley of the Ottawa Community Loan Fund, a non-profit organization that arranges business loans to local startups. Mr. Dobry worked on his financing plan, cash-flow projections and business proposal for what is now Burger Builder, a high-end food truck that’s been carefully branded by Mr. Dobry with a menu crafted to complement its physical layout.

Like almost all business plans, his changed drastically when concept met marketplace. The fledgling burger baron had vastly overestimated his sales and underestimated his costs. Sound familiar?

“I had no real idea how to manage payroll, cash, expenses, suppliers,” he concedes, looking back.

“In our first month (May) we lost 30 grand, but I didn’t know that until August, our accounting was so bad,” he adds with a shake of his head.

Mr. Dobry was forced to cut back on staff, find new, cheaper suppliers and borrow more money to keep going. His mother stepped up to keep him afloat.

He also boosted his prices from $6 for a burger to $8.50. Inevitably, that prompted a backlash from old customers who had no way of knowing that his costs for each sandwich ($6.25) were higher than the original price he was charging, which meant he was effectively paying people to eat his food.

Unfortunately, every business is an experiment until proven otherwise. No matter how brilliant an entrepreneur might be, it’s impossible to simulate real-world conditions in a model. It’s always a learn-by-doing exercise, this thing called launching a startup.

Mr. Dobry soon discovered that adding catering and gift cards to his offerings helped. People love his food, and it wasn’t long before they were asking him to serve up his burgers at their home and office parties and events or buying one of his $25 gift certificates for a friend, client, supplier or family member. An entrepreneur quickly figures out that when someone asks if they can do something, the answer is always, “Yes.”

So began BlackIron catering.

Not only was Mr. Dobry able to double-load his commercial kitchen on wheels – that is, use it for retail sales during business hours and then to prepare catered meals afterward – he was able to generate revenues, and keep his staff busy, in the off-season. Burger Builder is open only from May until October, which frees up a lot of time for supplying sustenance to the holiday party circuit.

Earlier this year, Mr. Dobry decided to add games and other activities to Burger Builder, creating his own family-friendly mini-Disneyland – in the middle of a Home Depot parking lot, no less. Games include giant Jenga sets and other family-friendly, multi-generational activities.

Eyeing expansion

Now his business model was starting to come into focus.

If Mr. Dobry can sell $350,000 worth of Burger Builder food and beverages in a Home Depot parking lot in Kanata and generate another $150,000 a year through catering, what could he do at locations in higher-traffic areas, especially if he added more attractions and events to his mini theme parks? And what if he took the concept to much larger markets such as Toronto and New York?

Mr. Dobry believes locations in warmer climates with a longer food-truck season could see sales of $900,000 for Burger Builder and $500,000 for BlackIron. Of course, expansion brings with it a host of new questions related to investment and financing, whether to franchise the concept and the merits of leasing or owning land.

He could expand much faster if, for example, he was to sign a land lease to put one of his mini theme parks in every Home Depot parking lot across the chain. He could also launch a similar traffic-building exercise for major shopping centre developers, many of whom are crying out for new attractions and other ways to revitalize their properties as online retail continues to erode brick-and-mortar’s share of business.

But he and his wife would also like to own some of the real estate under Burger Builder. I suspect his ultimate model will include a mix of company-owned locations, franchises and land-leased operations.

If you do the math, just 100 locations could generate $140 million in annual revenues. Home Depot has more than 2,200 locations worldwide and there are 47,000 shopping centres in the United States alone, meaning the sky’s the limit when it comes to growth opportunities.

What Mr. Dobry and Ms. Mann have done is create a repeatable personal business for life that could be the foundation for a significant real estate play as well.

What makes it sustainable are, in part, the intellectual property of Mr. Dobry’s menu for both Burger Builder and BlackIron, the low startup costs (compared with the costs of building out a restaurant, Burger Builder and BlackIron are far less expensive to launch – probably around $225,000, excluding land, whereas a standard restaurant opening can run anywhere from $750,000 to $1.5 million or more) and the combining of a “this with that” motif. In other words, by adding a games area, the couple has created an opportunity to entertain their customers, not just feed them.

The Burger Builder model combines great food and family entertainment in a format that should appeal to mall owners across North America trying to find ways to entice consumers back to their stores. If Mr. Dobry and Ms. Mann get it right, it could support their family for generations to come.

Bruce M. Firestone is a founder of the Ottawa Senators, a Century 21 Explorer Realty broker, real estate investor and business coach. Follow him on Twitter @ProfBruce or email him at bruce.firestone@century21.ca.

http://www.obj.ca/index.php/article/...eme-park-model

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 8:06 PM

Woody's Pub, formerly of 330 Elgin Street, has closed down. It has been replaced by a new restaurant called Kat & Kraken.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 6:08 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

At Orto Trattoria, chef Rene Rodriguez makes an Italian comeback
The restaurant, which opened this fall, serves refined Southern Italian fare in the Second Avenue space that was formerly the Urban Pear.

Peter Hum, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: November 29, 2017 | Last Updated: November 29, 2017 10:48 AM EST

You can’t keep a good chef down. But you can strikingly change the food that he serves.

That’s my take after two dinners at Orto Trattoria, which opened in mid-October in the Glebe, where the Urban Pear had been until it closed in the spring of 2016 ...

Read the full article here:
http://ottawacitizen.com/life/food/l...alian-comeback

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 8:07 PM

- Dick's Restaurant, formerly of 1485 Merivale road, has been taken over by Alirang Korean Restaurant. This is Alirang's second location, after there one on Cumberland and Rideau.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:49 PM

A couple tidbits:

- Happy Goat Coffee is opening a location on Elgin at Lewis in the old Starbucks.
- A restaurant called Foreign Cinema is taking over where Ace Mercado used to be, on the corner of Clarence and Dalhousie.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 8:22 PM

Mati crudo + charcoal is opening soon at 428 Preston.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
Mati crudo + charcoal is opening soon at 428 Preston.

Surf and turf with ambition?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 11:22 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Same owners as EVOO up the street. I know them well.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Surf and turf with ambition?
ambitious seafood always tastes better...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 12:43 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Black Tomato to close after 23 years; owner blames minimum wage hike

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: December 11, 2017 | Last Updated: December 11, 2017 6:10 PM EST

It’s black days for the Black Tomato, and owner Pete Besserer puts the blame squarely on Ontario’s higher the minimum wage, which takes effect Jan. 1.

The restaurant, a stalwart of ByWard Market dining for 23 years, will close at the end of the month.

“It’s the minimum wage, absolutely. That will be an $80,000 hit for me, just in hours,” Besserer said. “Then you have to factor in the grey area of what all the other stuff that comes through the door is going to cost. Is it going to be 10 per cent more? 15? 20? Who the hell knows? Nobody knows.”

Ontario’s minimum wage, now $11.60 an hour, climbs to $14 on Jan. 1 and to $15 on Jan. 1, 2019. Besserer employs 17 people at the Black Tomato and says he simply can’t afford the increased labour cost. That it takes effect in the toughest month of the year for restaurants only makes it tougher.

“I followed the story all along. Whether economists agree with it or not, everything that I’ve ever read says ‘way too much, way too fast.’

“I don’t know other restaurant owners’ situations, but I’ve done the math. If you have a staff of two people, then obviously that changes things. But I’ve got a staff of 17. Those are the facts for me.”

The higher wage has been opposed by the Canadian Federation of Independent Business, the Ontario Chamber of Commerce and the Ontario Restaurant Hotel & Motel Association, among others.

However, a handful of Ottawa businesses say they support the move. Jessica Carpinone, co-owner of Bread by Us Bakery in Hintonburg, supported the $15-an-hour minimum wage in an opinion piece she wrote for the Ottawa Citizen in June.

“There are a number of reasons why businesses close, but paying fair wages is not one of them,” she wrote. “I cannot stress this enough: Well-paid and satisfied workers are better for business. Not only are they willing to work hard for you, but their satisfaction is felt by customers.”

And last month, Ivan Gedz of Union 613 in Centretown announced he was boosting his workers’ minimum wage to $16 and said restaurateurs who say paying “a fair living wage couldn’t be done” are “full of s—.”

But Black Tomato’s Besserer is adamant that he’s had enough. He plans to unveil protest banners in his eatery on Tuesday and has ordered black T-shirts for staff that say “Grim” on the front and “Wake Up Ontario’ on the back. Telling his employees the business was closing was tough, he said.

“There were a lot of tears shed. To stand here for 23 years in the kitchen and to work like a dog to have this happen — it hurts. That’s reason No. 1. Reason No. 2 is I had to stand here like a grinch and tell 17 staff members that they don’t have a job after Christmas time. Twenty-three years of hard work and what do I do? I put a key on the counter and walk away. That’s a hard pill to swallow.”

bcrawford@postmedia.com
Twitter.com/getBAC

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...imum-wage-hike

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation