HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 9:15 PM
BANNED

/ OMA / REM KOOLHAAS

/ JEBEL AL JAIS MOUNTAIN RESORT
/ MIXED-USED DEVELOPMENT
/ RAS AL KHAIMAH / UAE / 2007

[Once the idea of the resort was to provide a momentary escape from everyday hardships; an earthly preview of paradise for temporary consumption…but now in the UAE, where the resort has become the ubiquitous condition, everywhere and ever present, it is the resort itself that is beginning to inspire escape.]
[The mountain resort of Ras Al Kaimah present a spectacular natural setting. To enter the rugged landscape of these mountains still feels like breaking new ground.]
[The surge of a new tourism in the form of survival trips, discovery tours and eco-expeditions signals a renewed hunger for long lost dangers; a re-appreciation of some of the more unpredicatible, now necessarily welcoming aspects of nature.]
[Rather than domesticating these barren slopes into the standard environment of the traditional resort, this project aims to create a resort that exploits their true natural conditions.]
[The proposed resort consists of a number of different individual parts, linked like a string of pearls by the new Jebel al Jais road.]
[These include the terraced resort, modern villas, the wedge building, outcrop, pixel villas, vertical city, the dam, the bridge, the cantilever building and the cliff villas.]
[Each part represents a different urban solution to inhabiting the mountains, providing various degrees of concentration and density. Each part also offers its own specific way of preserving the integrity of the landscape.]

Last edited by Tom Servo; Nov 14, 2008 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
All of this pushing and pulling probably goes back to Paul Rudolph. But his fantasies were so much more fantastic... so much more going on too, yet so much more convincing.
i have to disagree with you about mvrdv... and i've heard other people say the same thing about them, big too... but... you know...

and speaking of rudolph, i haven't really focused on any classic modernism in this thread... perhaps because it's hard to find a uniformed and comprehensive assortment of photos and first hand concepts / info about specific projects?
i'd like to do some rudolph, but it's harder to the old stuff... oh well...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 10:00 PM
BANNED

do you see herzog + de meuron in this?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 10:36 PM
Registered

^ No, I see Paul Rudolph in Herzog + de Meuron.

Wasn't he incredible though? Try to dig up his project for Manhattan's crosstown expressway (or whatever the hell they called it) if you get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
i've heard other people say the same thing about them, big too... but... you know...
Bigger than me???

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 11:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Bigger than me???
...wait... what?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 11:44 PM
Registered

^ Just messing with you. What did you mean by "Big too"? I presumed you meant big-time architects, of course.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 12:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
^ Just messing with you. What did you mean by "Big too"? I presumed you meant big-time architects, of course.
no... BIG

Quote:
I think their buildings have nothing to them ... preschool blocks and childish diagrams only helps commit this understanding ... too willfully naive, too devoted to concept to be great architecture in my opinion.
i hear this often (mostly from teachers or older architects) said about these hot euro firms

BIG... MVRDV... UN STUDIO... JDS... and so on...

i attribute the dis-like to the generation shift in modernism happening right now... pass it on and don't complain!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 2:04 AM
BANNED

/ SIMON UNGERS
/ T HOUSE
/ PRIVATE RESIDENCE
/ WILTON / NEW YORK / USA / 1986

[The house is a simple two-bar parti in which the dual elements are stacked perpendicularly. The structure was conventionally built, the building is clad in heavy weathering steel. The top bar, 44 feet long, 12 feet wide, and 16 feet tall, houses the library, cantilevered over the base bar, which contains the rest of the home. The library's prominently lofty, hovering position was apparently chosen to symbolize the owner's literary aspirations.]

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 4:28 AM
Registered

Quote:
no... BIG

i hear this often (mostly from teachers or older architects) said about these hot euro firms

BIG... MVRDV... UN STUDIO... JDS... and so on...

i attribute the dis-like to the generation shift in modernism happening right now... pass it on and don't complain!
Oh, shift key helps when your acronym also is a word.

Well, I am of that younger generation so no need to pass anything on... not a stodgy old IIT guy who hasn't looked around at world architecture for decades. But I do believe that architecture is a highly serious art and has major moral obligations. Some of the firms you list get on my nerves because they don't seem to understand this.

I believe in the architect as master craftsman. I'm also not going to jump on some "newness" bandwagon just because it looks fresh on the surface.

UN Studio, I don't know how you could even put them side-by-side with these other guys.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 9:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
UN Studio, I don't know how you could even put them side-by-side with these other guys.
...meh... i was trying image who else you'd not like, no big deal i guess.
and btw, maybe i'm just a sucker for these hip firms right now like mvrdv and so on... but i really don't think their work has any more or less merit than h+dm or oma... it's all modernism whose fundamental goals are the same, right?

speaking of UNstudio... i thought this was extremely cool:

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 9:49 AM
BANNED

/ UNSTUDIO
/ OMOTESANDO
/ MIXED COMMERCIAL
/ MEIJI DORI / TOKYO / JAPAN / 2008

[The design for the Omotesando commercial complex comprises of a retail programme incorporating flagship stores, shops and restaurants, located at the intersection of Omotesando and Meiji Dori in Tokyo. The Zelkovia tree studded boulevard, Omotesando, is well known for a series of luxury brand flagship stores.]
[The building façade modulates both the light and views from the outside to the inside and from the interior to the surrounding streets. A three-dimensional effect is created by means of interweaving façade elements within one continuous mesh-like structure. The façade panels vary in size and depth, with the tessellation and array of the corresponding elements creating the appearance of an underlying matter beneath the skin.]

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 10:27 AM
BANNED

btw, i ask this question to all the architecture (and not tall shiny shapes) fans on this forum: what city is the capital and center of world architecture right now?

i'd say without question tokyo.

and i'd throw in as close competitors, in no order, rotterdam, london, new york (although nothing ever seems to be more than a great proposal), germany (hamburg taking most of the spotlight), all over spain, maybe even paris (i'm not certain, but it seems like they might have nyc's problem as all the great stuff i read in magazines seems to end up cancelled) and copenhagen of late.

i'd also mention beijing for it's recent large scale project, but china's problem as with most of the mid-east (dubai), is that they're so in love with the skyscraper and all its tired variations. look at all the posts from muppet; the skyscraper infestation in china seems almost as bad as here in the usa... though which is worse? china seems obsessed with height, but the designs tend to be less offensive and mostly glass. the usa's designs are generally horrible, but our economy is luckily preventing further damage, so the end is in sight; we also seem to be re-visiting the idea of urbanism and human scale. the only real exception here is nyc, although the typical tall tower seems prevalent still.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 3:56 PM
Registered

Quote:
but i really don't think their work has any more or less merit than h+dm or oma... it's all modernism whose fundamental goals are the same, right?
No, I totally disagree. Modern art is all about intent and meaning. I think Koolhaas and h+dm have totally different intentions (one evil, the other good). I have no love for Koolhaas, none at all.

Remember what Mies said about being "good" vs. "interesting." I don't think the word "hip" belongs in architecture very often - today's hip is tomorow's kitsch.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 8:02 PM

Quote:
btw, i ask this question to all the architecture (and not tall shiny shapes) fans on this forum: what city is the capital and center of world architecture right now?

i'd say without question tokyo.

and i'd throw in as close competitors, in no order, rotterdam, london, new york (although nothing ever seems to be more than a great proposal), germany (hamburg taking most of the spotlight), all over spain, maybe even paris (i'm not certain, but it seems like they might have nyc's problem as all the great stuff i read in magazines seems to end up cancelled) and copenhagen of late.

i'd also mention beijing for it's recent large scale project, but china's problem as with most of the mid-east (dubai), is that they're so in love with the skyscraper and all its tired variations. look at all the posts from muppet; the skyscraper infestation in china seems almost as bad as here in the usa... though which is worse? china seems obsessed with height, but the designs tend to be less offensive and mostly glass. the usa's designs are generally horrible, but our economy is luckily preventing further damage, so the end is in sight; we also seem to be re-visiting the idea of urbanism and human scale. the only real exception here is nyc, although the typical tall tower seems prevalent still.
i'd want to add my two cents. i may not yet be an old fart, but i'm cynical and did my undergrad in history and psychology. architecture isn't the problem. the ability of hype and clever PR to transcend actual talent is a big problem. i find starchitecture to be a negative manipulation of PR, celeb culture, and patron largess. now, the vast majority of the projects posted here are indeed worthy. but the gehrys, libeskinds, and hadids of the world just annoy the HELL out of me. CATIA programs and remixing old googie designs are eye-catching and can get the public's attention. but they're better suited to stage sets than actual buildings.

as for the cities... it's not an easy answer. tokyo does indeed stand out. it could be their large number of well-trained architects and less attachment to historicism. but 'good' architecture is rare in every city. the vast majority of everything built, is built to a cost.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 8:19 PM

^on this site, we have many, many people who want the newly built environment to look like haussmann's paris. it just doesn't make sense. worse yet, we want things in dubai or singapore or some other cooling climate to conform to our normative (northern european) standards of attractiveness. then we have the homers. it all adds up to many people who reflexively disparage most everything which doesn't look like the stuff they're accustomed to.

btw, i firmly believe that architecture cannot be completely separated from urban planning and various related social and economic factors. IMO, apart from celeb culture buildings, or its alter ego, dipped in aspic architecture, the most pressing problem for north american cities is their wholesale dependence on the car, and the continual neglect of PT.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 12:35 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Culture (and architecture in particular) is so globalized today that I think to answer this question is impossible.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 2:33 AM
BANNED

...and now let us pause for a little sur-reality / /| //// // / / / / / ////// / / // // \ //// /\ \ // / / // |||/ //

Filip Dujardin

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 7:54 AM
CHICAGO ADDICTED

Quote:
ONE OF THE GREATEST NEVER-BUILT BUILDINGS EVER:

GLASS SKYSCRAPER FOR BERLIN
MIES 1920-21
NOW I REALLY REALLY LIKE DIZ ONE

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 8:01 AM

How are any of the buildings in the past two posts progressive? They all look like Soviet Russian buildings that were thrown together because the communist architects had no motivation to build structurally sound buildings...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 4:34 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilex View Post
How are any of the buildings in the past two posts progressive? They all look like Soviet Russian buildings that were thrown together because the communist architects had no motivation to build structurally sound buildings...
Silly Ilex, none of them exist!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture