HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 1:12 AM

Brantford, Ontario. Major urban decay in Canada.

Some photos from a drive my friend I took to Brantford, Ontario a city located about an hour west of Toronto. Brantford has one of the most decayed downtowns in Ontario and Canada. The downtown is a little better now thanks to the opening of the downtown campus of Wilfred Laurier University, but as you can see, it is still very troubled.

This is what happens in a small city when you move your city's retail heart and economy to a suburban mall 5 minutes away.

The Grand River

This is a new development with a public square to try and help in the revival of downtown.

The failed downtown Mall.

The mall was built for the EATONS Department Store.

Last edited by miketoronto; Mar 24, 2009 at 1:23 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 2:13 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Do I see Willie in those photos?

Anyway, doesn't look TOO bad. Hell, they have infill. That's more than I can say for a town that size in most "rustbelt" states. Strangely, it reminds me of Muncie, Indiana...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 3:08 AM
Great White Norf

edit: despite the infill, it is actually more depressing looking than my hometown of Welland, Ontario.

Last edited by Wigs; Mar 27, 2009 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 3:42 AM

Are you kidding me miketoronto? You call that urban decay. I am from Flint MI and vacation in Detroit, I will trade you our urban decay for that. I assume you are the same miketoronto who posts on detroityes so I know you know what I am talking about. I would kill for Flint to have that kind of building stock downtown to be decayed.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 3:45 AM

Brantford didn't seem quite as bad when I was there a couple years ago. The immediate area around the little square in front of the courthouse seemed pretty nice, even if a lot of the buildings on Dalhousie Street were empty.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 4:54 AM

Hey we have a failed downtown mall too and you're not alone.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 7:10 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I dunno... I expected Silent Hill to be... maybe foggier or something.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 11:57 AM
Motor City Mountaineer

Well, at least their is some hope.
Unfortunately, many American and Canadian cities have come to this.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 12:47 PM
Reach for the Clouds

We have a similar problem here in Belleville, although not nearly as bad as Brantford's. People like to dress up and parade around looking good, and malls make it easier for them to do just that.....especially with Canada's climate!
It is sad though, especially for people like us here on the forum, who want to see these small down-towns thrive.
Good post though Mike.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 1:19 PM
Beer Stampede

It doesn't look quite as bad as you make it out to be. I guess you just have to be there. Pine Bluff, Arkansas was in worse shape than that.

These murals crack me up though!! They're not fooling anybody!!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 2:15 PM
Look at me!

Its decayed alright.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 3:42 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Actually, it looks just as bad as he made it to be, and let's be clear, this level of abandonment is due to a helluva lot more than a mall and simple suburbanization. Brantford was a major manufacturing center which obviously isn't so much, anymore.

Interesting tour. It's still a bit surprising to see a city like this along a major transportation route and in between so many healthy and relatively healthy cities. I'd like to see the whole area along the corridors between Detroit and Toronto and Toronto and Buffalo more closely tied together in terms of regional revitalization.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:06 PM

Lmich I think the mall is mostly to blame for the decay in downtown, because the rest of the city looks fine, and if you go to the mall its packed.

The only spot that really is on hard times is the downtown so to speak.

Brantford did lose alot of manufacturing and being only an hour from Toronto by train, they really should use that to their advantage.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:18 PM
sick transit, gloria

Interesting pictures and it is certainly decayed, even if not in the burned out building / empty lot kind of way. One thing I notice is that many of the buildings with shuttered storefronts still seem to have residential tenants on the upper floors. Is this accurate? It seems to be a trend in a lot of areas in Ontario where retail is failing but there is still a rental market. In some neighbourhoods I've looked at (including mine) it's gotten to the point where building owners are converting main floor retail space into illegal apartments. It's better than the building staying abandoned, but still not really a good thing.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:50 PM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
Lmich I think the mall is mostly to blame for the decay in downtown, because the rest of the city looks fine, and if you go to the mall its packed.

The only spot that really is on hard times is the downtown so to speak.

Brantford did lose alot of manufacturing and being only an hour from Toronto by train, they really should use that to their advantage.
The one thing I've noticed in Brantford is that there is little interest from the residents to improve the downtown...most if not all have given up on it....my S-I-L and her family live there and they never go downtown for shopping....the mall on the east side and the mall on King George and the parasitic retail that feeds off the big malls is where people do their shopping (or Hwy 24 in Cambridge or London or the big box stuff in Ancaster). I've yet to see a gentrified neighbourhood in the core..

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 5:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Nice photo exhibit...but as some testify, not all is decayed and decrepit. Fundamentally, it is a combination of a great many factors (for example, the decline of Brantford as a manufacturing hub, and the exodus of residents to the outlying areas, etc.), and not just "some suburban mall" that leads to such decay.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 5:59 PM
Bombshell Vintage

The city has great building stock, and would be well-poised for an urban revitalization if someone could steer jobs to the immediate area. Virtually every building shown here can be salvaged.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 6:00 PM

Plenty of downtowns do just fine with big boxes on the outskirts. Brantford's problems are truly multifaceted in nature, and there certainly isn't just one cause for the abandonment.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 11:14 AM

I thought I had stumbled into upstate New York for a second. When I was a kid in Albany, NY, the downtown was so crowded and busy, even on weekends (especially on weekends). Then Colonie Center was built. Pearl Street downtown emptied out almost immediately, although crime and other social factors also had something to do with that. You take a good picture, by the way.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Nice photo exhibit...but as some testify, not all is decayed and decrepit. Fundamentally, it is a combination of a great many factors (for example, the decline of Brantford as a manufacturing hub, and the exodus of residents to the outlying areas, etc.), and not just "some suburban mall" that leads to such decay.
Actually walking distance from downtown are some very nice neighbourhoods with very nice homes that are all intact. It really is an issue I think with people going to the mall. In small cities like this, it is hard to support a downtown and a mall at the same time, unless you are a university town or something.

It is correct that a lot of the buildings do seem to have residents living above. I would venture to say the residents are people who have nowhere else to go, as the downtown was full of people who looked like they had seen better days and were stuck in downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos