HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 5:57 PM

Sports in Ottawa (misc. articles/news)

The Mayor is supposed to make an announcement tomorrow (Thursday July 17, 2014) regarding a sporting event coming to Ottawa in 2017, according to Metro News:

Quote:

‘Major’ sporting event coming to Ottawa in 2017, says City

Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson will announce Thursday that a major, national sporting event is coming to town in 2017.

Coun. Maria MacRae and Coun. Mark Taylor will join the mayor for the announcement at the Terry Fox Athletic Facility on Riverside Drive at 10 a.m., the city said in a news release issued Wednesday morning. No other details were provided.

The unspecified event will “promote our city on the national and world stage and generate increased tourism and business revenue,” the city said in the release.
I'm not sure what event they could be talking about, other than a Track & Field event, given the location of the announcement. With that, I did find this article from last year indicating that Ottawa had put a bid on the World Youth Track & Field Championships, of which Toronto and Montreal were also in the running.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
The Mayor is supposed to make an announcement tomorrow (Thursday July 17, 2014) regarding a sporting event coming to Ottawa in 2017, according to Metro News:

I'm not sure what event they could be talking about, other than a Track & Field event, given the location of the announcement. With that, I did find this article from last year indicating that Ottawa had put a bid on the World Youth Track & Field Championships, of which Toronto and Montreal were also in the running.
and I was hoping for a second F1 Canadian Grand Prix!!!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 9:01 PM

Quote:

The location would seem to say track and field, but the announcement says a national sporting event. The World Youth Championship is an international event. Maybe it is just a sloppy press release that did not use the correct word.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 10:01 PM

I was going to say Grey Cup, but it doesn't match the location of the announcement obviously.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
The location would seem to say track and field, but the announcement says a national sporting event. The World Youth Championship is an international event. Maybe it is just a sloppy press release that did not use the correct word.
I thought that too, but there was that last statement:

"The unspecified event will “promote our city on the national and world stage...""

So I'm puzzled as to what "national" sports event would be publicized on the worlds stage ...

The Canadian Youth Track & Field Championships for 2017 will be held in Brandon, Manitoba.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 10:22 PM

I'd bet it's the 2017 Winter Classic between Ottawa and Montreal

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 10:27 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenson View Post
Now that would be something!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenson View Post
I'm sure we'll get it, I mean what better place to celebrate the 100 years of the NHL than the birthplace of the Stanley Cup with an outdoor game between the two oldest teams (58 year hiatus aside)! But I don't think that's the announcement Watson was referring to.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 11:35 PM
Mooderator

World men's curling championship?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 12:55 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Canadian Bocce Championships?

This year's event is being held this weekend in Kimberley, BC:
http://www.kimberleyjulyfest.com/can...-championships

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I'm sure we'll get it, I mean what better place to celebrate the 100 years of the NHL than the birthplace of the Stanley Cup with an outdoor game between the two oldest teams (58 year hiatus aside)! But I don't think that's the announcement Watson was referring to.
It's also the Leafs 100th anniversary (and almost certainly the 50th anniversary of their last cup) and they pay everyone else's bills. And the cup's birthplace is Sheffield.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:16 PM

via Twitter:

Quote:
Athletics Canada about to announce #Ottawa will host national track and field championships in 2017 & 2018.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
It's also the Leafs 100th anniversary (and almost certainly the 50th anniversary of their last cup) and they pay everyone else's bills. And the cup's birthplace is Sheffield.
Ya well, Leafs suck!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 4:47 PM

There wasn't a separate thread for Basketball (or the Skyhawks for that matter) in the Sports & Rec section of this forum, but it looks like there won't be a need any time soon... The Skyhawks are no more:
http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/07/31/...-nbl-of-canada

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 4:57 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
There wasn't a separate thread for Basketball (or the Skyhawks for that matter) in the Sports & Rec section of this forum, but it looks like there won't be a need any time soon... The Skyhawks are no more:
http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/07/31/...-nbl-of-canada
Tomahawk chopped right out of the league. Did anybody actually go to see their games?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 5:39 PM

As stated in the article; they were doomed from day one because of the bad location. If the inaugural season was at the Civic Centre, attendance might have been better, not to mention cheaper rent.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:39 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

City, Sens announce new recreation project for Hintonburg

Marie-Danielle Smith, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: August 28, 2014, Last Updated: August 28, 2014 6:15 AM EDT

A new recreational facility is being planned in the Hintonburg area for next spring as part of the Laroche Park redevelopment, the City of Ottawa announced Wednesday.

The city is collaborating with the Ottawa Senators Foundation and the Trinity Development Foundation on the project.

It will be the fourth of 20 Sens Recreational Investments in Neighbourhood for Kids (RINK) projects in Ottawa. Previous projects included the Rink of Dreams at City Hall and rinks at Jules Morin and Bayshore Parks.

The Sens RINK at Laroche Park, close to the intersection of Scott Street and Parkdale Avenue, will serve the Mechanicsville, Hintonburg and West Centretown communities.

According to the city, the facility will offer free recreational programs and activities for hundreds of kids in the area.

msmith@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/mariedanielles

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...for-hintonburg

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 3:15 AM

Not really sure where to post an article like this, but certainly an interesting opportunity for the Ottawa Senators to look into

http://www.tsn.ca/westhead-maple-lea...ccess-1.127203

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 4:13 PM

Ottawa Fury season tickets went on sale yesterday.

Can't wait for the next season and for them to announce signings for next season's team!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 2:39 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Promise broken: Decontamination costs put Mechanicsville rink on ice

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: September 1, 2015 | Last Updated: September 1, 2015 8:58 PM EDT

A Sens RINK planned for Laroche Park in Mechanicsville a year ago has been scrapped by the city, which will instead build the next Sens RINK in Overbrook.

“Promise made. Promise broken,” Blair Simser, president of the Mechanicsville Community Association, said Tuesday. “I have emails from the city saying they were going to start work in July. It should have been going in. Suddenly it’s not.”

Contaminated soil and unexpected engineering costs are to blame for the city’s decision, said Kitchissippi Coun. Jeff Leiper.

“A couple of weeks ago I had to inform the community that that is not proceeding and there is no definite timetable for putting that rink in the park,” Leiper said.

The Laroche Park rink was announced in August 2014, one of 20 Sens RINKs (Recreation Investment in Neighbourhoods for Kids) targeting disadvantaged communities in and around Ottawa. Sens RINKS have already been built in Bayshore Park and Jules Morin Park in Lowertown. They are funded by the Ottawa Senators Foundation and are meant to promote year-round physical activity, with skating in the winter and basketball or skateboarding in summer.

The city knew the soil at Laroche Park was contaminated and would have to be cleaned up, Leiper said, but soil tests done earlier this summer showed it to be dirtier than previously thought. In addition, engineers determined the soil was susceptible to frost heave in winter, meaning that as much as a metre of gravel would have had to be laid down under the concrete rink pad.

“The testing showed the city that they were going to have to spend a lot more than they thought they were going to have to to prepare this site,” Leiper said.

The city had budgeted between $40,000 and $75,000 for site preparation, but after soil testing that cost ballooned to more than $150,000, Leiper said. Another $100,000 would be needed for maintenance access and upgrades to the water supply to the park.

“These were all costs that weren’t anticipated when they made the announcement last summer, costs for which there is no budget,” he said. “I think the city is still committed with the Sens Foundation to get one built, but the timing is very uncertain.”

The silver lining, Leiper said, is that in a couple of years the park will be part of a major sewer reconstruction project that would allow the decontamination to be done. A planned reconstruction of the park will allow the city to start from scratch.

“But the question remains: How are we going to pay for it?” Leiper said. Much of the money is expected to come from development charges for yet-to-be-built highrises in Bayview, adding to the uncertainty, he said.

None of it sits well with Simser, who said the rink is needed in his community, a disadvantaged neighbourhood east of trendy Hintonburg near the O-Train tracks.

“We have more rooming houses and city housing than pretty much anywhere. This would be a fantastic place to put it,” Simser said. “It would be such a great addition and it would make such a difference here.”

He sees the decision to build the next Sens RINK in Overbrook as political meddling and the city playing favourites.

“It doesn’t make a lot of sense,” he said.

But Leiper said he believes the city is still committed to a rink in Laroche Park.

“I don’t want to begrudge them building it in Overbrook. It’s a community that needs it as well. There are a lot of communities around the city that are going to benefit from the Sens Foundation’s generosity, but I absolutely share (Mechanicsville’s) disappointment that they were promised a rink and now it’s been delayed.

“I’m realistic. The money’s not in the budget. But I think the least we can do for the Mechanicsville community is give them a date.”

bcrawford@ottawacitizen.com
Twitter.com/getBAC

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...s-rink-promise

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation