HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
Don't generalize Toronto to the entirety of Ontario and Quebec. Sure, there is nothing outdoorsy in Toronto but this is not the case with the Appalachians and the lakes in Quebec, nor Northern Ontario. In Ottawa, for example, Gatineau park offers tons of outdoors activity.
Toronto says suck it.

Tommy Thompson Park, Toronto, Canada
by Leo Li, on Flickr

Scarborough Bluffs
by Philip Dunn, on Flickr

Misty Morning ~ Glen Stewart Ravine
by ~EvidencE~, on Flickr

20170611 001 Humber River at Old Mill
by Scott Martyn, on Flickr

Don Valley Brickworks
by mooncall2012, on Flickr

Sailing In Toronto
by Duncan Rawlinson - Duncan.co - @thelastminute, on Flickr

Leslie Street Spit
by George Hornaday, on Flickr

2017.07.18. Toronto
by Péter Cseke, on Flickr

Scarborough Bluffs
by A Great Capture (Ash2276), on Flickr

The Distant City
by
Greg's Southern Ontario (catching Up Slowly)
, on Flickr

028crpshsatfwlfwl
by citatus, on Flickr

Lake Ontario
by Katerina Toth, on Flickr

Scarborough Bluffs Of Toronto
by Greg's Southern Ontario (catching Up Slowly), on Flickr

Kayaking Toronto
by dtstuff9, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 8:13 PM

Hi all,

What do you suggest are the best places to get data on tourism trends in Canada? I'm currently on a vacation in Nova Scotia for the first time and it's blowing my mind what a great tourism spot this is! Anecdotally a waitress said today that tourism is increasing a lot here, but I would love to see more actual info on trends. I've previously looked at the Canadian tourism council, or whatever it's called, but don't recall them disaggregating their stats by province or region.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 11:06 PM

I've heard there are some decent biking trails in and around Toronto as well.

Quebec would likely win for mountain biking in the east, Mont St Anne just had it's world cup stop and there are a few hills with lift access biking.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I've heard there are some decent biking trails in and around Toronto as well.

Quebec would likely win for mountain biking in the east, Mont St Anne just had it's world cup stop and there are a few hills with lift access biking.
Bromont is one of them, about 70km from Montréal.
https://skibromont.com/en/mountain-biking

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 3:47 PM

Went up Nose Hill last night, amazing park that you can't really appreciate until you go up there, it's absolutely MASSIVE (11.27sqkm, nearly 3x the size of Stanley Park in Vancouver). You almost forget you're in the city, except for the amazing views of downtown from the south end of the park.
https://www.trailforks.com/region/nose-hill-park/

All images from google search

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 4:57 PM

Why are there no trees on it? Was it a former landfill? trees would be nice but you would lose that killer view.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Why are there no trees on it? Was it a former landfill? trees would be nice but you would lose that killer view.
It's the Prairies man, there are little clusters of trees (Willows and Aspen mostly) in the coulees, but the majority is Rough Fescue grassland. Nose Hill Park is a natural environment park, so they want to preserve and demonstrate the native vegetation in the area, and that vegetation is actually very rare and quite endangered due to the prevalence of agriculture on the prairies. They could plant trees if they really wanted, but aside from being against the point, being on top of a well draining hill in a semi arid climate isn't the most conducive to trees.

Here is a description of the park on the City of Calgary website. http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pag...Hill-Park.aspx

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Bromont is one of them, about 70km from Montréal.
https://skibromont.com/en/mountain-biking
Rocky Mountain Bicycles (Canadian Manufacturer!) has a feature on Vaea Verbeeck at Bromont, looks like a fun place to downhill.
http://www.bikes.com/en/stories/welc...-vaea-verbeeck

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 5:34 PM

It's true that the prairies really are an endangered ecosystem, given how quickly and how much of it was destroyed just over a century ago when they were turned into farms.

Do they ever do any controlled burns up there on Nose Hill? One of the reasons the prairies don't have trees is that regular fire (and, formerly, large grazing animals like Bison) are part of the ecosystem.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Do they ever do any controlled burns up there on Nose Hill? One of the reasons the prairies don't have trees is that regular fire (and, formerly, large grazing animals like Bison) are part of the ecosystem.
No idea, was wondering about fires up there when I was riding last night, the grass is about 3' tall and is super dry after this hot, dry summer. Nose Hill is surrounded by suburbs, so a major grass fire could be catastrophic for surrounding communities.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:
It's the Prairies man, there are little clusters of trees (Willows and Aspen mostly) in the coulees, but the majority is Rough Fescue grassland. Nose Hill Park is a natural environment park, so they want to preserve and demonstrate the native vegetation in the area, and that vegetation is actually very rare and quite endangered due to the prevalence of agriculture on the prairies. They could plant trees if they really wanted, but aside from being against the point, being on top of a well draining hill in a semi arid climate isn't the most conducive to trees.

Here is a description of the park on the City of Calgary website. http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pag...Hill-Park.aspx
How did Calgary manage to save such a large site for a park? Was it owned by a single landholder?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
How did Calgary manage to save such a large site for a park? Was it owned by a single landholder?
From the webpage I linked: "Large areas of the plateau have been ploughed and planted to agricultural crops. Some of these areas are being returned to native grassland. There is an old gravel pit on the plateau which is slowly being reclaimed by nature. In the '80s, much of the park was destined for residential development. However, vigorous citizen action saved the land for the magnificent park we have today." So a large part was cultivated over the last 200 or so years, but I don't think many buildings were built there.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 9:42 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 10:09 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post
Toronto says suck it.

Kayaking Toronto
by dtstuff9, on Flickr
I love that pic. It's strange how you know Toronto has this meaty old skyscraper core, and the eclectic downtown residential areas, but along the edges there's this Vancouver aesthetic and you expect wide streets and one building entrance per block, etc. It's all things, Toronto. Fun stuff!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 10:21 PM

Some nice little trails down by the Brickworks.

[IMG]20170709_170406[1] by Andrew Moore, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
No idea, was wondering about fires up there when I was riding last night, the grass is about 3' tall and is super dry after this hot, dry summer. Nose Hill is surrounded by suburbs, so a major grass fire could be catastrophic for surrounding communities.
Fires were common up there as well as in Fish Creek up u until about the late 90's. The City and Province used to mow the grass to suppress the fire risk. I suspect fire incidence has declined with the incidence of smoking.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The land was twice assembled with intent to develop and both times an economic bust killed the opportunity. The City was able to acquire the land in the 80's for some ridiculous low amount like $3M.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
From the webpage I linked: "Large areas of the plateau have been ploughed and planted to agricultural crops. Some of these areas are being returned to native grassland. There is an old gravel pit on the plateau which is slowly being reclaimed by nature. In the '80s, much of the park was destined for residential development. However, vigorous citizen action saved the land for the magnificent park we have today." So a large part was cultivated over the last 200 or so years, but I don't think many buildings were built there.
The rate of vegetation growth on Nose Hill since the 80's has been very noticeable. Coulees that were scrub brush are now dense aspen forest. I grew up on Fish Creek Park. The forest has pushed far east there. It used to end by Elbow Drive. I suspect in both parka fewer fires, end to mowing, grazing, and cultivation and the urban heat island effect have encouraged growth. The artifical wetlands in Fish Creek have probably raised the water table as well.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The rate of vegetation growth on Nose Hill since the 80's has been very noticeable. Coulees that were scrub brush are now dense aspen forest. I grew up on Fish Creek Park. The forest has pushed far east there. It used to end by Elbow Drive. I suspect in both parka fewer fires, end to mowing, grazing, and cultivation and the urban heat island effect have encouraged growth. The artifical wetlands in Fish Creek have probably raised the water table as well.
Growing up in the south side of the city, I never really ventured up to Nose Hill before I started mountain biking. I love the park now and think it's probably better than Fish Creek (about 14sqkm for those unfamiliar with Calgary's largest park) for biking. Lucky to live in a place with so many outdoor areas to enjoy!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Growing up in the south side of the city, I never really ventured up to Nose Hill before I started mountain biking. I love the park now and think it's probably better than Fish Creek (about 14sqkm for those unfamiliar with Calgary's largest park) for biking. Lucky to live in a place with so many outdoor areas to enjoy!
Nose Hill takes more effort to discover. Not sure if I like it more than Fish Creek, but my impressions grew more favorable over time. I have a soft spot for Fish Creek as my parents' backed directly onto one of the best parts by the Canton Meadows golf course. I lived directly on the park in Douglasdale for 6 years. I miss that house.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada