HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 12:33 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
How is this thread focused on linguistics?
The first point you made:

Quote:
All the talk about the Ottawa suburb of Orleans has made me think that its population is the closest thing to a microcosm of Canada's population in a single location.

Consider this about Orleans:

Rougly 25% is francophone.
All of your points could easily be made for Kanata as well, except for the fact that Kanata lacks the Francophone angle.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Much of this thread is focusing on the linguistics of Canada which I think is a bit of a far reach. There are things in this country far more important than that to focus on.
I'm not so sure about that. Say, what are the main differences between Milan, Lyons and Munich? They're all rich Central Western European cities in the same approximate population range of a couple/a few million.

I think we'd have to say the main difference between them that in one case the people living there are mostly Italian; in another the people living there are mostly French; in the last case the people living there are mostly German.

And then if we think about what differentiates these three groups, one of the main characteristics will likely be that the first group speaks Italian, the second group speaks French, and the third group speaks German.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 12:36 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Ottawa is definitely a microcosm, on so many levels.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Have you driven around the Niagara region lately?

I've seen more Union Jacks there than I ever did in London. Granted they were on the old Canadian flag (red ensign), which is more prevalent than the red and white maple leaf variety. Particularly in the area around Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Hmmm interesting. Guess I'm not surprised by NOTL. They really try to go for that "old-timey" feel to a fault sometimes.

Honestly if I ever saw the old Canadian flag I would just assume it's the provincial flag.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 1:18 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The first point you made:

All of your points could easily be made for Kanata as well, except for the fact that Kanata lacks the Francophone angle.
OK I guess. But it's kind of hard to avoid an "angle" that's like, close to quarter of the country!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Ottawa is definitely a microcosm, on so many levels.
The epicentre of Canadian "Peace, Order and good Government".

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 2:26 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Do you get teary eyed, goosebumps, and develop an urge to fight for your motherland every time you look at a particular flag? Whether it's the Maple Leaf flag or Quebec fleur de lils flag? I consider myself a loyal and proud Canadian but it's the lifestyle, the people and land which inspires me, not the flag, a particular nomenclature, or beavers or maple bloody syrup.
I frankly don't get any of those urges above (tears, goosebumps or fighting) for anything but my immediate family.

As for stuff that reminds me of "home" in a collective societal sense some of it is Canada-wide but the vast majority is shared within francophone Canada only.

Regarding maple syrup and that other stuff as identity markers vs. the "assembly of shareholders" country model, it's not so much that I am opposed to the latter as it's an unheard-of and even assbackward way of creating a national identity.

But who knows? Maybe Canadians are on to something?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 2:57 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
I frankly don't get any of those urges above (tears, goosebumps or fighting) for anything but my immediate family.

As for stuff that reminds me of "home" in a collective societal sense some of it is Canada-wide but the vast majority is shared within francophone Canada only.

Regarding maple syrup and that other stuff as identity markers vs. the "assembly of shareholders" country model, it's not so much that I am opposed to the latter as it's an unheard-of and even assbackward way of creating a national identity.

But who knows? Maybe Canadians are on to something?
I didn't mean it as an assembly of shareholders. Just as you get those urges when you think about your family, i get that way by both my family and the life i lead here amongst other Canadians. I genuinely like the people of this country, specifically the ones I've been exposed to and the sense of belonging and contribution I feel here. On any given day i can go anywhere and make new friends who can relate to me and who genuinely enjoy my company, life is never boring or meaningless, that's something that makes me very thankful.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 10:52 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Ironically, in some ways I've found Newfoundland and Labrador as a whole to be something of a microcosm of Canada - mostly in terms of geography.

We are Canada's east so that part is covered, and it completely defines what it means to be a Newfoundlander with other regions fitting in only to the extent they align with that definition. We have a more recently-settled, mountainous west coast with a city that, although not our largest, looms quite large in the province's minds. It's obsessed with outdoor activities, especially winter ones. In between is a stretch of interior with a few of our largest towns that don't really fit in with the dominant provincial narrative and have industries and lifestyles that aren't common elsewhere in the province. They're also far more obsessed with outdoor activities than the east but usually ones that require expensive vehicles or equipment. We have a disconnected, vast, and mainly aboriginal north broken up into one (and soon to be more) autonomous, self-governing "countries within a province". We have a wide variety of landscapes and climates.

Our francophone presence today, though historic, is small - but the arc of our history similarly follows the English-French conflicts of the 1500s-1700s. We have a few extra players that I don't believe were on the board in Canada (i.e. was anywhere else in Canada ever ruled by the Dutch? Were the Portuguese as influential to the local culture and place names anywhere else?) But, for the most part, it's the conflict between the English and French that determined who we are and where in the province we live. Still today we have a part of France on our doorstep in St-Pierre et Miquelon.

There are a lot of things that are similar.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 12:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I didn't mean it as an assembly of shareholders. Just as you get those urges when you think about your family, i get that way by both my family and the life i lead here amongst other Canadians. I genuinely like the people of this country, specifically the ones I've been exposed to and the sense of belonging and contribution I feel here. On any given day i can go anywhere and make new friends who can relate to me and who genuinely enjoy my company, life is never boring or meaningless, that's something that makes me very thankful.
While I am grateful for our standard of living, what you describe is still a very administrative view of patriotism and identity.

I tend to view this positive aspect of Canada as a western developed world thing as opposed to a uniquely Canadian thing. On this metric I probably could have as good or better a life in any of about a dozen western countries. That said I am lucky I know to be living in the Canadian division or branch of the western world.

As for the cultural stuff (widely defined) that makes me feel at "home", most of it to be frank is confined to a specific part of Canada and not widely shared or even known across the country. (Not even close to the way that non-African-Americans in the US know stuff like Motown, etc.)

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 2:26 PM

It's gotta be Ottawa.

Not only is the Ottawa CMA linguistically representative of Canada (probably even down to small First Nations languages like Inuktitut), but Ottawa also has significant sprinklings of major immigrant groups to both English and French Canada.

Also, just thinking off the top of my head, about half of Canadians live in CMAs/cities that are bigger than Ottawa, and about half of Canadians live in CMAs/cities that are smaller than Ottawa. So, in a very crude way, you could say that Ottawa represents the halfway point between the bigger city experience of half of Canadians and the smaller city/town experience of the other half of Canadians.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 9:00 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
While I am grateful for our standard of living, what you describe is still a very administrative view of patriotism and identity.

I tend to view this positive aspect of Canada as a western developed world thing as opposed to a uniquely Canadian thing. On this metric I probably could have as good or better a life in any of about a dozen western countries. That said I am lucky I know to be living in the Canadian division or branch of the western world.

As for the cultural stuff (widely defined) that makes me feel at "home", most of it to be frank is confined to a specific part of Canada and not widely shared or even known across the country. (Not even close to the way that non-African-Americans in the US know stuff like Motown, etc.)
Just because one can develop bonds with another country, doesn't mean one has those bonds. I once had a taxi driver who was in the midst of moving his stuff back to Somaliland, because he missed the sense of 'homeliness' he felt there.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
38 Tims in a city of 150,000? That is insanity!

Actually now that I think of it Cobourg has 4 at a population of 20,000, proportionally not too far behind.
Timmins has a population of 42,000 and has 9 Tim Hortons locations.

And Timmins is not located along a Trans-Canada highway like Moncton or a very busy highway like Cobourg is. Pretty much all of the customers at Tim's in Timmins are local people. Very few people from elsewhere drive through Timmins.

Some people here even call Timmins "Timmies."

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 2:29 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Just because one can develop bonds with another country, doesn't mean one has those bonds. I once had a taxi driver who was in the midst of moving his stuff back to Somaliland, because he missed the sense of 'homeliness' he felt there.
That is precisely my point. His attachment to Somaliland cannot be in any way construed as a type of mutually beneficial business arrangement.

So what's it based on? Stuff like the Somali equivalent to maple syrup I guess.

I often wonder if the Canadian federation and identity could withstand some truly tough times, as so many of the world's nations have.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:09 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
That is precisely my point. His attachment to Somaliland cannot be in any way construed as a type of mutually beneficial business arrangement.

So what's it based on? Stuff like the Somali equivalent to maple syrup I guess.

I often wonder if the Canadian federation and identity could withstand some truly tough times, as so many of the world's nations have.
We both look at the same things, yet interpret them in completely different ways. The Somali equivalent of maple syrup? *facepalm* It was probably his family, the company of people he can relate to and a way of life (lifestyle) that he feels comfortable with which draws him back, imho.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Timmins has a population of 42,000 and has 9 Tim Hortons locations.

And Timmins is not located along a Trans-Canada highway like Moncton or a very busy highway like Cobourg is. Pretty much all of the customers at Tim's in Timmins are local people. Very few people from elsewhere drive through Timmins.

Some people here even call Timmins "Timmies."
Sherbrooke probably doesn't have much more than 9 Tim's... maybe 15 at first sight, for ~200k people. Moncton certainly has way more than us, for a smaller city.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 4:07 AM

The Kelowna area at around 200k has 20 Timmies.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 11:10 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
We both look at the same things, yet interpret them in completely different ways. The Somali equivalent of maple syrup? *facepalm* It was probably his family, the company of people he can relate to and a way of life (lifestyle) that he feels comfortable with which draws him back, imho.
I think it's pretty clear that a place can be a total craphole by any measure and still have people who are deeply attached to it.

There is much evidence to prove this so I don't know what's up for debate on this front.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Sherbrooke probably doesn't have much more than 9 Tim's... maybe 15 at first sight, for ~200k people. Moncton certainly has way more than us, for a smaller city.
You are not too far, based on my quick research on Google Maps Sherbrooke has 17.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 1:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
You are not too far, based on my quick research on Google Maps Sherbrooke has 17.
Gatineau has 23 for 275,000 people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada