HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Ritz-Carlton Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 11:43 PM
TL;DR

If you're seeking traditional design that's as authentic as possible, there are several other firms out there who do work equal to or better than Stern.

David M. Schwartz Architects
is the first one that comes to mind.

Also, Cooper, Robertson & Partners (in Chicago, they did Pioneer Plaza).

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 12:19 AM

^^^
They both definitely lack in large-scale highrise projects, but I'd love to see them get some jobs in that field. As far as price goes, something like 1201 F street, while ungodly beautiful, would be far more pricey to do than this. And even that project, the tallest I could find in my brief searching of the two sites, is only 12 stories tall.

Also, David M. Schwartz has one of the least user-oriented websites I have ever seen. Thanks for the tip-off though, these are really great. I love learning about new firms, especially as the mainstream architecture media tends to ignore historicist architects - a major strand of the architecture that is being built nowadays.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
The Elysian would look ok if the roof looked more like a roof, and less like a cap, it's still an ok building, and it's always nice to have another 700 footer
I would like the Elysian more even if it was all just one color or tone. The brown/black against the creme and white is way too much contrast and just makes the poorly proportioned details read unnecessarily clear from miles away. Plus painting the balconies like that does strange things to the composition, making strange dark patches on the facade.

While LaGrange's other buildings are best viewed from a distance, Elysian is probably worst from far away.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 7:41 AM
dream fast

4-29

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
^^^
Aesthetically, the granite alone is not only historically incorrect, but also already looks incredibly dated; it seems very eighties imo. I don't understand why they didn't go with something like limestone or I think I would have preferred they just carry the precast down to the street...
I think of many Art Deco buildings with granite bases, Carbide & Carbon and the Chrysler Building being just two of them. Sure it's usually black or green granite instead of yellow, but I think that LaGrange's buildings are going to always disappoint if judged on historic accuracy alone.

Art Deco buildings do often have a contrasting base, which is what I think makes this more appropriate than limestone or precast. Plus the different stone helps differentiate the Ritz from Farwell at street level.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 1:44 PM
BANNED

That's not granite... Looks like marble to me which is a lame attempt to reference the green marble panels on the Farwell facade.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 2:53 PM

NWM, I was thinking that was marble, but everyone kept saying Granite, so I went along. Now that you say it, I have never seen Granite that looks like that.

Andrew:

That is a good point, though the Granite usual has some detailing purpose other than as a slab of stone. Chrysler uses it for detailing in art deco style. The Carbon and Carbide building uses it for a few whole floors, again with Deco detailing around the entrance. The biggest problem, as you said, is the color, though. I wish they had gone with something darker. However, I do think we should judge LaGrange as he purports to be, a historicist architect who alters designs slightly for the modern disposition. In this, I think that this marble/Granite fails miserably. It does not look modern nor does it look historically correct imo.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:57 PM
BANNED

^^^ Yeah I'm 90% certain it's marble, but pictures can be misleading when it comes to stone. Granite doesn't have those twisted striations and is generally much more uniform in color/texture. It could be some kind on Onxy or something too, but that's rarely used as building cladding. For example, Onxy in and interior finish use:

granitemarblestonegroup.com

It's tough to say without seeing it in person which I haven't had the chance to do yet.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 1:47 AM

looks like it would belong in Dubai if it was 3x taller.
I can see why people hate it but personally i really like it

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 3:08 AM

Somehow, the materials almost always seem wrong and give a gaptoothed feel to these wannabe deco/beaux-arts buildings. Another more problematic thing is that latter day architects have not had the rigorous training in using the classical vocabulary of decorative architecture, not immersed themselves in the history of styles, and not thoroughly absorbed the language of proportions in detailing. Their buildings almost always lack the continuity of style that the best of the art deco period proposed.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Somehow, the materials almost always seem wrong and give a gaptoothed feel to these wannabe deco/beaux-arts buildings. Another more problematic thing is that latter day architects have not had the rigorous training in using the classical vocabulary of decorative architecture, not immersed themselves in the history of styles, and not thoroughly absorbed the language of proportions in detailing. Their buildings almost always lack the continuity of style that the best of the art deco period proposed.
I think, as I said earlier, this is what makes Park Tower so much better than all of the rest of LaGrange's buildings. While he may be a "traditionalist," he is certainly not a "classicist" and does not seem to have the eye for appropriate proportions and detailing. Park Tower is only faintly French and its details and features are more creative expressions in the Postmodern style than they are overt historical references. When LaGrange specifically tries to replicate Art Deco or French Styles, his designs fail because of his lack of rigor. He would be better off trying to be more like Michael Graves and less like RAMSA.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 11:04 PM

Why did I even bother taking pictures of this:

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 2:02 AM
BANNED

Ugh. I WANT to hate this building more because the tower potion is just so ugly and awkward, but I can't. The base is actually REALLY nice and very "Michigan Avenue"...

I do miss the old art museum a lot though.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Ugh. I WANT to hate this building more because the tower potion is just so ugly and awkward, but I can't. The base is actually REALLY nice and very "Michigan Avenue"...

Luckily the top isn't that noticeable from the street

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 7:14 PM
dream fast

I don't get those vertical eye shaped light sconces. They have a cult like feel to them... maybe some kind of mutated art deco.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
I don't get those vertical eye shaped light sconces. They have a cult like feel to them... maybe some kind of mutated art deco.
I know what you mean, reminds me of the Illuminati/Freemason all seeing eye.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 9:29 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
I know what you mean, reminds me of the Illuminati/Freemason all seeing eye.
Yes, that's it.^

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

I'm curious: Why do you like the base?

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Yes, that's it.^
Maybe the person who designed that part of the base is a Freemason ?

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 5:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
I'm curious: Why do you like the base?
It's not that I like it. I just think it looks nice. That is to say, I think it fits and looks [not bad]. Idk if that satisfies your curiosity...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive