HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:09 AM

Metro Vancouver "Blueway"

Figured this warranted a separate thread.

Quote:
Vancouver backs ‘blueway’ plan that could see waterway from False Creek to New Westminster

Imagine being able to walk, creekside, all the way from False Creek to the confluence of the Brunette and Fraser Rivers in New Westminster.

That’s the ambitious vision being proposed by Vancouver Green Coun. Micheal Wiebe, who earned support for the creation of a regional “blueway” at both Vancouver City Council and the Metro Vancouver Regional Parks Committee on Wednesday.

It’s an enormous proposal that would see the Brunette River, Burnaby Lake, Still Creek and Trout Lake connected and former creeks that have been paved over or culverted, like Vancouver’s China Creek, linked together to create a single, continuous waterway....

(all images courtesy of Global News... help with resizing?)

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:15 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Awesome proposal. The amount of creeks that have been paved over in Metro Vancouver is insane. I remember seeing a map of all of the creeks that once flowed through the region, and it was eyeopening how pretty much 95% of them were now gone.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Awesome proposal. The amount of creeks that have been paved over in Metro Vancouver is insane. I remember seeing a map of all of the creeks that once flowed through the region, and it was eyeopening how pretty much 95% of them were now gone.
https://twitter.com/cbcnewsbc/status...54242592411648
The video in the link above has a segment showing many of the covered creeks

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 9:04 AM

Fantastic idea !!!

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 3:51 PM

What would they do with the dam between Burnaby Lake and the Brunette River? Or are there fish ladders or something similar already there? I don't remember seeing anything like that when I've been up there, but usually I'm running past and not really looking for that sort of thing...

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
What would they do with the dam between Burnaby Lake and the Brunette River? Or are there fish ladders or something similar already there? I don't remember seeing anything like that when I've been up there, but usually I'm running past and not really looking for that sort of thing...
If you mean the Cariboo Dam just upriver of the lake, then yes, there's ladders. That said, fish ladders have a mixed rate of success, so the City Councils may or may not need to do something else as well - perhaps a culvert and baffles.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:17 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Thanks for creating this thread.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Honestly I just want to be able to do this down the water

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Honestly I just want to be able to do this down the water

[IMG]https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...=1200%2C800IMG

It's doable on the Coquitlam

A bit of a mud fest at the end towards the Fraser though...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:43 PM

Still Creek and Brunette are decent urban waterways. Brunette even has returning salmon and cut throat trout in its waters. Burnaby has several urban streams the find there way into the Fraser and not many homeless destroying them with there camps

You have to just start on 1 water way and keep following it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:09 PM

Heh, wouldn't we all.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 9:10 PM

Our ability to keep the present Grandview Cut clean and free of garbage and vandalism would show how we are able to handle having a creek re-instated in Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 9:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Our ability to keep the present Grandview Cut clean and free of garbage and vandalism would show how we are able to handle having a creek re-instated in Vancouver.
I'd carry a spud gun on my inner tube down the creek and shoot any litterbugs

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Join a cleanup group - or get the city to buy one of these.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:
CoV should deploy drones to do that. Shoot them paintballs with dark purple indelible ink so their faces can be identified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
Still Creek and Brunette are decent urban waterways. Brunette even has returning salmon and cut throat trout in its waters. Burnaby has several urban streams the find there way into the Fraser and not many homeless destroying them with there camps

You have to just start on 1 water way and keep following it.
Agree that Burnaby is doing pretty well with their waterways, but not sure about Vancouver. We are too soft when it comes to enforcement.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 11:57 PM

Very cool proposal, a rare one that should see near unanimous support

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 12:25 AM

On a somewhat related note: Wetlands, not walls, may be key to managing flooding as sea levels rise

Quote:
As sea levels rise, building higher walls may not be the best way to protect property, infrastructure and ecosystems in southwestern B.C., according to the leader of a four-year project aimed at coordinating local adaptation efforts.

Low-lying wetlands, salt marshes and natural assets are not just valuable habitat for wildlife, they might also be potent tools to manage flooding as sea levels rise by up to one metre over the next 80 years, said Kees Lokman, director of the UBC Coastal Adaptation Lab.

The traditional approach to flood management has led to the construction of nearly 300 dikes stretching more than 1,000 kilometres around B.C., much of that concentrated in Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley.

Many of those dikes were built to a design standard set in the 1960s and some are up to one metre too short, according a provincial government study.

Only about four per cent of local dikes are up to standard and the bill to fix them would top $10 billion. Canada’s federal disaster mitigation fund is currently just $2 billion.

But simply upgrading the dikes may not be the solution it appears to be.

“Dikes are very much geared to human safety and protecting assets, but we haven’t done much to protect our ecosystems,” said Lokman. “We are learning that wetlands are not only important as habitat, they can also buffer storm surges.”

A four-year, $1-million project funded by the Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions dubbed Living with Water will explore integrated flood responses applied on a regional scale.

“There’s a whole range of solutions that we could be exploring, but we currently don’t have the policy and regulatory tools to actually administer these projects,” he said.

Solutions to sea level rise have been left to local governments to figure out for themselves, which has led to huge variability in the approaches being applied.

Because coastal flooding occurs across multiple boundaries and jurisdictions, the project will seek to create an integrated response.

“Some of these things are going to be challenging or controversial and there’s not going to be one size that fits all,” said Lokman. “We are hoping to document strategies used elsewhere and find regulatory and policy solutions that municipalities and other levels of government can use moving forward.”

Living with Water aims to create decision-making tools and structures that will bring governments together in a shared approach to coastal flood adaptation, while integrating Indigenous knowledge and the perspective of the Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues