HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:09 AM

Metro Vancouver "Blueway"

Figured this warranted a separate thread.

Quote:
Vancouver backs ‘blueway’ plan that could see waterway from False Creek to New Westminster

Imagine being able to walk, creekside, all the way from False Creek to the confluence of the Brunette and Fraser Rivers in New Westminster.

That’s the ambitious vision being proposed by Vancouver Green Coun. Micheal Wiebe, who earned support for the creation of a regional “blueway” at both Vancouver City Council and the Metro Vancouver Regional Parks Committee on Wednesday.

It’s an enormous proposal that would see the Brunette River, Burnaby Lake, Still Creek and Trout Lake connected and former creeks that have been paved over or culverted, like Vancouver’s China Creek, linked together to create a single, continuous waterway....

(all images courtesy of Global News... help with resizing?)

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:15 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Awesome proposal. The amount of creeks that have been paved over in Metro Vancouver is insane. I remember seeing a map of all of the creeks that once flowed through the region, and it was eyeopening how pretty much 95% of them were now gone.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:17 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Thanks for creating this thread.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Awesome proposal. The amount of creeks that have been paved over in Metro Vancouver is insane. I remember seeing a map of all of the creeks that once flowed through the region, and it was eyeopening how pretty much 95% of them were now gone.
https://twitter.com/cbcnewsbc/status...54242592411648
The video in the link above has a segment showing many of the covered creeks

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 9:04 AM

Fantastic idea !!!

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 3:51 PM

What would they do with the dam between Burnaby Lake and the Brunette River? Or are there fish ladders or something similar already there? I don't remember seeing anything like that when I've been up there, but usually I'm running past and not really looking for that sort of thing...

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
What would they do with the dam between Burnaby Lake and the Brunette River? Or are there fish ladders or something similar already there? I don't remember seeing anything like that when I've been up there, but usually I'm running past and not really looking for that sort of thing...
If you mean the Cariboo Dam just upriver of the lake, then yes, there's ladders. That said, fish ladders have a mixed rate of success, so the City Councils may or may not need to do something else as well - perhaps a culvert and baffles.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues