HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Today, 3:55 PM
Exhausted Drexel Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Agree. Now we need some Gauthier-type candidates to challenge Clarke and Johnson in the next cycle. In my opinion, they are the most problematic council members remaining. Certainly among the most anti-development, except perhaps when it's their personal friends bidding for a contract or jockeying for a landbank property. Great to see new blood. Good luck!
It's great that Blackwell, one of the two oldest council members, is now gone. The future belongs to the young. Gauthier will do great things for West Philly, and it would be great to see some young blood challenge Clarke next election.

Old Posted Today, 4:52 PM

I think Blackwell being ousted speaks to the rapid Gentrification of West Philly.

Old Posted Today, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I think Blackwell being ousted speaks to the rapid Gentrification of West Philly.
It's interesting because you would think that but she did pretty poorly across the board, particularly in places like Mill Creek, western Mantua, and Parkside. She even dropped several wards out in Cobbs Creek where support should have been strong.

I think it speaks to the fact that she has been absent and self-interested for a long time and people finally realized that they can do better.

Old Posted Today, 5:09 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
To be fair, West Philly has gone through some positive changes in the past 10+ years, even while under Blackwell's tutelage. In this timeframe, more businesses have started, more people moved in, property values increase, Baltimore Ave in West Philly improved with better street lighting and landscape. With new leadership, we can hope and expect that this will continue and be built upon to make it better for the people living and doing business in West Philly. Good luck to the new councilwoman!

Old Posted Today, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
To be fair, West Philly has gone through some positive changes in the past 10+ years, even while under Blackwell's tutelage. In this timeframe, more businesses have started, more people moved in, property values increase, Baltimore Ave in West Philly improved with better street lighting and landscape. With new leadership, we can hope and expect that this will continue and be built upon to make it better for the people living and doing business in West Philly. Good luck to the new councilwoman!
low turnout means anything can happen. I dont think it's so much of a massive wave of opposition that sunk Blackwell, its simply that the new person had more engaged followers that showed up in greater numbers in a low turnout election. Blackwell likely NEVER Got a lot of votes in these primaries- she was unopposed so it didn't really matter.

Old Posted Today, 6:09 PM
Flat Top Is My Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
low turnout means anything can happen. I dont think it's so much of a massive wave of opposition that sunk Blackwell, its simply that the new person had more engaged followers that showed up in greater numbers in a low turnout election. Blackwell likely NEVER Got a lot of votes in these primaries- she was unopposed so it didn't really matter.
That's about right.

She was never a force politically on her own - most of her juice came from her name and the power of the Democratic machine in this city. I'm having a hard time remembering any serious challengers to her seat in the 18 years or so that I've been a voter in that district. This current time was a perfect storm of forces that was set to leave her dusted and rightfully so. There is a frustration amongst people in the far western parts of the district where I live - cross 52nd Street and you'll see a different West Philadelphia than the realtors would have you believe. Blackwell's presence (or lack thereof) isn't much of factor in why things aren't as good as they are elsewhere in the district and there's only so much a councilperson can do in a short timeframe to visibly make a dent in entrenched poverty but for once in this city's history people sided with the devil that they didn't know...maybe a good sign?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations