HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Today, 3:55 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Exhausted Drexel Student
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: University City, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Agree. Now we need some Gauthier-type candidates to challenge Clarke and Johnson in the next cycle. In my opinion, they are the most problematic council members remaining. Certainly among the most anti-development, except perhaps when it's their personal friends bidding for a contract or jockeying for a landbank property. Great to see new blood. Good luck!
It's great that Blackwell, one of the two oldest council members, is now gone. The future belongs to the young. Gauthier will do great things for West Philly, and it would be great to see some young blood challenge Clarke next election.
__________________
Philadelphia Transportation Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Today, 4:52 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,655
I think Blackwell being ousted speaks to the rapid Gentrification of West Philly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Today, 5:06 PM
Parkway's Avatar
Parkway Parkway is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I think Blackwell being ousted speaks to the rapid Gentrification of West Philly.
It's interesting because you would think that but she did pretty poorly across the board, particularly in places like Mill Creek, western Mantua, and Parkside. She even dropped several wards out in Cobbs Creek where support should have been strong.

I think it speaks to the fact that she has been absent and self-interested for a long time and people finally realized that they can do better.
__________________
"It's like a giant ball of peanut butter with a stick of Dynamite in the middle."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Today, 5:09 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 1,984
^
To be fair, West Philly has gone through some positive changes in the past 10+ years, even while under Blackwell's tutelage. In this timeframe, more businesses have started, more people moved in, property values increase, Baltimore Ave in West Philly improved with better street lighting and landscape. With new leadership, we can hope and expect that this will continue and be built upon to make it better for the people living and doing business in West Philly. Good luck to the new councilwoman!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Today, 5:22 PM
cardeza cardeza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
To be fair, West Philly has gone through some positive changes in the past 10+ years, even while under Blackwell's tutelage. In this timeframe, more businesses have started, more people moved in, property values increase, Baltimore Ave in West Philly improved with better street lighting and landscape. With new leadership, we can hope and expect that this will continue and be built upon to make it better for the people living and doing business in West Philly. Good luck to the new councilwoman!
low turnout means anything can happen. I dont think it's so much of a massive wave of opposition that sunk Blackwell, its simply that the new person had more engaged followers that showed up in greater numbers in a low turnout election. Blackwell likely NEVER Got a lot of votes in these primaries- she was unopposed so it didn't really matter.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Today, 6:09 PM
volguus zildrohar's Avatar
volguus zildrohar volguus zildrohar is offline
Flat Top Is My Enemy
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The City Of Philadelphia
Posts: 15,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
low turnout means anything can happen. I dont think it's so much of a massive wave of opposition that sunk Blackwell, its simply that the new person had more engaged followers that showed up in greater numbers in a low turnout election. Blackwell likely NEVER Got a lot of votes in these primaries- she was unopposed so it didn't really matter.
That's about right.

She was never a force politically on her own - most of her juice came from her name and the power of the Democratic machine in this city. I'm having a hard time remembering any serious challengers to her seat in the 18 years or so that I've been a voter in that district. This current time was a perfect storm of forces that was set to leave her dusted and rightfully so. There is a frustration amongst people in the far western parts of the district where I live - cross 52nd Street and you'll see a different West Philadelphia than the realtors would have you believe. Blackwell's presence (or lack thereof) isn't much of factor in why things aren't as good as they are elsewhere in the district and there's only so much a councilperson can do in a short timeframe to visibly make a dent in entrenched poverty but for once in this city's history people sided with the devil that they didn't know...maybe a good sign?
__________________
je suis phillytrax sur FLICKR, y'all
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:59 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.