HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Today, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I do. I appreciate the calligraphy; the democratic occupation of public space; as well as the multi-layered, organic visual effect. Plus it just livens up typically derelict and blank urban spaces.

Sure beats a blank wall, in my opinion:

Kensington by Eric H, on Flickr

I think the mid/late-00s were really "peak dirtiness" in Toronto. You had the same post-amalgamation public realm neglect and aging infrastructure as today; but gentrification & redevelopment hadn't yet come full swing so there were also still plenty of vacant, derelict, and rundown buildings that hadn't yet been restored or turned into condos. More graffiti too - given that property owners had less propensity to clean their buildings.

If I had to pick a specific point in time, the garbage strike over the summer of 2009 would definitely be it.
You like gang members and idiots spraying crap on private and public property?

I don't think you would like your front door spray painted.

Old Posted Today, 1:27 AM
The Good Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Except for the urine stench in hot cities like LA without any rain to wash it away.
Does it rain in the summer months of Vancouver?

-----

The only city I've been in where the stench of urine is overwhelming was New York. L.A. not so much even though it's dry for half the year, dryness is your friend. Dog shit [human shit as well] won't stink in dry environments, it becomes hard as a rock, almost petrified.

Old Posted Today, 2:18 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Want to hear a dirty story?

I work in the business office section of a manufacturing company with a huge shop employing 500+ workers doing shifts around the clock. All of our workers are required to wear disposable earplugs which they can get out of dispensers. When they are done with their earplugs they like to throw them on the ground.

One time rain overflowed the ditches alongside the road going to plant and floated all the dead leaves and buoyant trash into big mats that settled on the road. There were PILES of those earplugs. You could use a shovel to scoop them up. It was horrifying.

Quote:
i see these kinds of areas up close - even somewhat wealthy suburbs - and they are disgusting beneath the greenery.
I see this when I go for walks. You can be in a really nice area with landscaping, but the more grass and shrubbery there is the more crap accumulates. And the mowers shred up all the litter into tiny pieces that get settled into the grass and can't be practically cleaned up. As you mentioned, in brushy areas there's a solid carpet of smashed up shredded litter embedded in the weeds and buses. I don't know what the solution to this is, except to keep people from littering less to begin with. Rolling trash bins help in residential areas, but apartment complexes and businesses don't do a good job keeping their dumpster areas clean so trash can escape and get floated or blown away.

Old Posted Today, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Does it rain in the summer months of Vancouver?

-----

The only city I've been in where the stench of urine is overwhelming was New York. L.A. not so much even though it's dry for half the year, dryness is your friend. Dog shit [human shit as well] won't stink in dry environments, it becomes hard as a rock, almost petrified.
lol you're not walking around the right parts of LA then. In the summer and fall when there has been no rain in LA for months, the piss smell takes over large parts of Downtown LA. When you have homeless people who treat the streets and sidewalks like urinals and you don't have any rain to wash it away, you're gonna have pretty nasty and smelly streets.

Old Posted Today, 6:29 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
You like gang members and idiots spraying crap on private and public property?

I don't think you would like your front door spray painted.

Gang graffiti isn't really a thing except in areas with a heavy gang presence. And where it does exist it's pretty obvious - it's meant to be explicit, not the weird sort of hybrid urban exploration-calligraphy sport your run-of-the-mill taggers engage in.

http://dcshrines.blogspot.com/2010/0...or-samuel.html

I actually live in a building that has quite a bit of spray painting and my windows face towards a very heavily graffitied lot and I don't mind it at all. Again, beats a blank brick wall. Though, worth noting that even I don't approve of graffiti on architecturally valuable buildings, public art, or nature. Sides of buildings, alleyways, and other underused or derelict urban spaces are fair game though.

Old Posted Today, 6:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Gang graffiti isn't really a thing except in areas with a heavy gang presence.
not true in chicago's case.

i sometimes see gang tags even in neighborhoods that don't have a "heavy gang presence". that shit creeps around all over this city, sometimes subversively so.

that's probably why chicago is so hyper-vigilant in removing graffiti compared to a city like toronto with 1/100th of the gang violence problem that chicago has.

Old Posted Today, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Want to hear a dirty story?

I work in the business office section of a manufacturing company with a huge shop employing 500+ workers doing shifts around the clock. All of our workers are required to wear disposable earplugs which they can get out of dispensers. When they are done with their earplugs they like to throw them on the ground.

One time rain overflowed the ditches alongside the road going to plant and floated all the dead leaves and buoyant trash into big mats that settled on the road. There were PILES of those earplugs. You could use a shovel to scoop them up. It was horrifying.

I see this when I go for walks. You can be in a really nice area with landscaping, but the more grass and shrubbery there is the more crap accumulates. And the mowers shred up all the litter into tiny pieces that get settled into the grass and can't be practically cleaned up. As you mentioned, in brushy areas there's a solid carpet of smashed up shredded litter embedded in the weeds and buses. I don't know what the solution to this is, except to keep people from littering less to begin with. Rolling trash bins help in residential areas, but apartment complexes and businesses don't do a good job keeping their dumpster areas clean so trash can escape and get floated or blown away.
this is why there is nothing but plastic in the stomachs of whales or at the bottom of the marina trench, or really anywhere you look. people can try to kid themselves, but our planet is coated in a layer of non-degradable single use consumer garbage. and virtually all of it was created in the last 50 years. honestly this has little to do with littering and everything to do with our expectations of convenience and low cost and disposability. we're so far past the point of no return.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions