HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 2:54 PM

To me it makes more sense to put the northbound eastside, so it runs along CMHR, festival park, etc.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:38 PM

Someone mentioned in the Retail thread Kite & Kaboodle expanding... in other Johnston Terminal news, the former Finns space has been converted to offices for Acklands construction... So now that 2nd floor patio space will have no use.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Someone mentioned in the Retail thread Kite & Kaboodle expanding... in other Johnston Terminal news, the former Finns space has been converted to offices for Acklands construction... So now that 2nd floor patio space will have no use.
That sucks. I hate it when Forks space is used for private offices.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
That sucks. I hate it when Forks space is used for private offices.
no kidding. what a waste. especially when there is lots of office space available downtown (and more and more coming online every day).

who is acklands construction though? maybe it's akman construction?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:08 PM

I have no issues with that. mixed use, more bodies to eat and shop during day. except for holidays, daytime Forks is very quiet

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:22 PM

^ What else could you really do with the Johnston Terminal, though? It's not like Tokyo where you can easily lease out upper floor space as shops and restaurants. Offices pay the bills.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:27 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Is that a permanent office?

Constuction companies often set up shop near their projects temporarily during construction.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 5:41 PM

That would make more sense. But what would the project be there that they would need to set an office up for?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
That would make more sense. But what would the project be there that they would need to set an office up for?
Maybe rail Side?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
Maybe rail Side?
probably a little early for railside

maybe renos to the space that used to have sydneys?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 7:05 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
probably a little early for railside

maybe renos to the space that used to have sydneys?
I haven't been there to see it yet, but isn't the Sydney's location now McNally Robinson?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 7:37 PM

^ The McNally's is tiny. I'm not sure that it even cut into the old Sydney's space.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
no kidding. what a waste. especially when there is lots of office space available downtown (and more and more coming online every day).

who is acklands construction though? maybe it's akman construction?
Don't know why I said construction...

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
I have no issues with that. mixed use, more bodies to eat and shop during day. except for holidays, daytime Forks is very quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ What else could you really do with the Johnston Terminal, though? It's not like Tokyo where you can easily lease out upper floor space as shops and restaurants. Offices pay the bills.
Apparently Immigration is giving up some space in the upper floors, would have been better there. Considering the basement, first, and rest of second floors are otherwise all retail, kinda sucks to make the other half of the second just an office. But better for them to have it leased than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
I haven't been there to see it yet, but isn't the Sydney's location now McNally Robinson?
McNally just took over an already empty storefront. Sydney's hasn't been touched – but they're looking at ripping it out completely and subdividing as probably the best option. Focus right now is on finishing off main floor renos first. The south hall (where Generation Green was) once complete will be able to be booked for (semi-)private events, as now they no longer book the Food Hall/Common as it's too busy to alienate people anymore (read: good problems). This strategy of redoing one piece at a time is working well, as they've said everything is constantly changing so much right now, they don't want to go all-in and have some pieces maybe not work. Assess things as you go. For example they were planning on re-leasing the Generation Green area, but now that the market is always so busy, they realized they needed some more event space and extra seating.

As an FYI, the Market's plan is to focus on unique local retail and F&B from here on out. They want it to be the focal point (as it should) even once Railside starts getting built out. What I mean by this is they purposely don't want it to have some of the more grocery-oriented stuff as in the past, as it makes more sense to have that closer to the residential parts in the future, and reserve the Market for the more prime destination retail.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 9:32 PM

It seems like a weird location for a business like Acklands-Grainger.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
It seems like a weird location for a business like Acklands-Grainger.
Exactly. Lol, it's very bizarre. And it's definitely not temporary – they completely gutted at least the old Dingo's part – brand new glass entrance and reception area as well.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Lol, it's very bizarre. And it's definitely not temporary – they completely gutted at least the old Dingo's part – brand new glass entrance and reception area as well.
that is... very strange.

that's gotta be $$$ office space for a company that seems like it should be in an industrial park.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 12:50 PM

When I google mapped Acklands-Grainger they showed up at 10 Fort st which is Fort Garry Place. So I guess they must have moved offices. But I agree it is very strange to be located there. I would have thought their offices would have been at their distribution centre on Buffalo Pl. Maybe they are corporate offices, they are a very large, international materials supplier.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:45 PM

very weird, I aggree. Acklands has office on St.James @Wellington and in Ft Garry industrial park so no idea why they would want offices at The Forks. I think we need to check source of that leak....

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
very weird, I aggree. Acklands has office on St.James @Wellington and in Ft Garry industrial park so no idea why they would want offices at The Forks. I think we need to check source of that leak....
The source is not a leak, it's me, I went into the Johnston Terminal and saw it with my own eyes. It's already done and open.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 2:43 PM

I'm not really up to speed on whatever happens in other Cities with industrial buildings and offices. But I've heard from numerous people it's weird to have your head office / corporate office slapped in the corner of a warehouse, like is extremely common in Winnipeg.

They have an office located somewhere else, likely downtown in an office building. And have the warehouses in the industrial areas. Seems normal to me.

My fiancé worked for a company in Winnipeg and the office was in the warehouse. The smell would come home with her after work. She's not at the company anymore for that reason.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan