HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 11:08 PM

The movie looks terrible. Between the quality of acting and the song they chose it was so hard to get through the trailer.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The movie looks terrible. Between the quality of acting and the song they chose it was so hard to get through the trailer.
They intend to shop it around Cannes and TIFF for a distributor. Their best bet might be to knock on Netflix's door, if they say no, good luck to them. I think the greater vision here is to pray to strike (no pun intended) Come From Away like gold and produce a Broadway musical.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
They intend to shop it around Cannes and TIFF for a distributor. Their best bet might be to knock on Netflix's door, if they say no, good luck to them. I think the greater vision here is to pray to strike (no pun intended) Come From Away like gold and produce a Broadway musical.
I thought there already was a musical?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 2:49 PM

Quote:
I believe a version was done at Rainbow Stage for one or two night a number of years ago

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
It's running next summer at Rainbow Stage:

https://www.rainbowstage.ca/strike/

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I believe a version was done at Rainbow Stage for one or two night a number of years ago
They performed it at Rainbow Stage but it was a private production, not by the actual Rainbow Stage company. I remember seeing it... it was a long time ago, over a decade ago as I recall.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 2:46 AM

Another still from the movie, Stand!

https://twitter.com/stand_movie/stat...11981618532352

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 10:45 AM

James Ave Pumphouse
Winnipeg, MB

$22 M
adaptive reuse, mixed use commercial/residential
18000 sqft + 37500 sqft addition
2018 Canadian Architect Award of Merit
Slated for demolition after 17 attempts to revive the historic structure over the last 14 years, the James Avenue Pumping Station was successfully preserved through the development of a financial / building pro forma that would make it financially feasible. While the existing building’s foundation was not capable of supporting the construction of additional floors on top of the Pumphouse, a gantry crane capacity allowed for a new floor within the existing building. Incorporated as tenancy, this left the pumps on the main floor free and clear of complicated programming as proposed in previous revitalization attempts, and instead distinguished its adaptive reuse as one that celebrates the existing while creating a viable future life.

The development resulted in 10,500 sqft of elevated main floor commercial space and 3,000 sqft of ground level commercial space facing Waterfront Drive. On either side of the historic pumphouse three new 6 storey residential buildings will be constructed. They will be located 20 ft away from the existing building creating new ’streets’ that respect the original pumphouse and expand the ground floor store frontages. This multi-faceted, mixed-use development is the first proposal on the site that has gained the support of the community at large, the neighbouring condominium complexes and the historic buildings committee at the City of Winnipeg.

In keeping with the utilitarian nature of the original design, the new builds book-end the existing structure and subtly support its aesthetic through deliberately simple, modular forms. With views directed to the historical centre of the site, its storied past is highlighted and the human scale of a new perspectives can be seen in the approach to the site, the neighbouring exterior walkways, and the intimate alleyways formed between the old and new facades.

*Renderings, diagrams and tenant space photographs by 5468796 architecture.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 6:59 PM

It'll for sure be interesting and unlike anything else here. Curious to see how these "streets" turn out... It could be cool to kind of extend Bertha into the site (and maybe back to Amy), then you have a very pedestrian-friendly inner spine running through East Exchange, as Bertha connects along Saddlery building to John Hirsch. Then eventually when the giant sea of parking is developed beside the Skip building at 140 Bannatyne, continue John Hirsch through there. Be sure to develop units/uses facing this pedestrian lane throughout.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89821.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
It'll for sure be interesting and unlike anything else here. Curious to see how these "streets" turn out... It could be cool to kind of extend Bertha into the site (and maybe back to Amy), then you have a very pedestrian-friendly inner spine running through East Exchange, as Bertha connects along Saddlery building to John Hirsch. Then eventually when the giant sea of parking is developed beside the Skip building at 140 Bannatyne, continue John Hirsch through there. Be sure to develop units/uses facing this pedestrian lane throughout.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89821.../data=!3m1!1e3
Haha a ship (River Rouge) is still parked at Alexander Docks. Has anyone heard anything about when they are finally going to get redeveloped? Such an eye-sore for a prime area.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 5:24 PM

This will definetly be interesting to see in the final form.

It looks like the lower floors of the west buildings are enclosed and connect to the lower floor of the pump house? There also looks to be underground parking at that end as well. The east end is outdoors and will be interesting as it's set below street level.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 6:48 PM

I'm really excited for this one, though I have my doubts on $22M... looks $25M, never mind pumphouse restoration on top of that.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 3:54 PM

I can see the crane being delivered out my window.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
I can see the crane being delivered out my window.
Yup, James is closed right now and trucks have arrived with the crane. Happy days!

Last edited by oftheMoon; Mar 8, 2019 at 4:38 PM. Reason: speling

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 7:01 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

what kinda crane?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
what kinda crane?
It was in pieces on a couple truck flatbeds, that's all I saw.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 9:46 PM

I'm guessing a crawler crane. Something like the blue one at Sutton Place.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 3:28 PM

Being that things are just starting its not a construction crane but one for the foundation contractor to set the piles and/or caisson liners.

Once the foundation is complete a different crane will arrive on site. Either a tower crane or a crawler with a lufting jib.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 5:12 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Being that things are just starting its not a construction crane but one for the foundation contractor to set the piles and/or caisson liners.

Once the foundation is complete a different crane will arrive on site. Either a tower crane or a crawler with a lufting jib.
Weren't piles all done in the fall? They've been pouring the foundation all winter.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Weren't piles all done in the fall? They've been pouring the foundation all winter.
If the foundation is in and a crane shows up from one of the big crane suppliers (Litz, Sterling, Able, or Caladaro) then its a construction crane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan