HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 12:26 AM

New on Memorial Dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Nice update, jnihiser! I had been wondering about hr cityplace project. Lots of great infill going in with close proximity to buckhead jobs and MATTA accessible.

Memorial drive is really filling in nicely, too. Honestly looks like it could be one of Atlanta’s denser commercial areas in just a few years. Atlanta dairies is adding a ton more to the existing development and doing it with substantially better land use than Madison yards. 3k mentioned another development in the corridor that will also add 250 units by another developer. Trying to find out if it’s different than what we know about already.

The development will include residential, office, and retail land uses. Approximate uses and densities are detailed as follows: Residential: 564 multi-family units Office: 46,165 SF Retail: 86,408 SF
https://apps.dca.ga.gov/DRI/InitialForm.aspx?driid=2897
Wondering if this is the King Memorial Station TOD on Grant St,. Supposed to start construction early 2019.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlnative73 View Post
Wondering if this is the King Memorial Station TOD on Grant St,. Supposed to start construction early 2019.
I am leaning something different, as he should be familiar with the TOD.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:20 AM

They have reopened the parking lots at King Memorial station that they closed 3 years ago when the TOD was announced. Makes me feel like it’s not moving forward after all.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:58 AM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

This article is amazing.

Tim Keane to Atlanta: "No more ugly buildings; focus on quality design."

https://saportareport.com/tim-keane-...uo1ozOBQta1A1E

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
They have reopened the parking lots at King Memorial station that they closed 3 years ago when the TOD was announced. Makes me feel like it’s not moving forward after all.
I don't think that's what it means. Inman Park Station's north lot is closed for construction until the spring and so...
Quote:
The northern pedestrian bridge to the transit station, as well as the parking lot it connects with, is slated to be closed until springtime, as it undergoes a renovation that should make the stop more pedestrian-friendly.

Once that’s complete, the same thing will happen to the south side’s pedestrian bridge.

MARTA will offer additional parking at its Seaboard Avenue lot, as well as at the King Memorial station.
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/12/7...strian-bridges

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
This article is amazing.

But ugly buildings are so much cheaper!

Kidding aside, I'm glad to see someone pushing for better design in this city; I just hope it doesn't all turn into fake historicity. And can we talk about how the three examples in the article were all by the same firm?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
This article is amazing.

We need an entire board of people like Mr. Keane. The fact that we have not had more people like this on the board in the past is a little sad and it makes me wonder "what could have been?" if we had someone with this much concern for good design from the beginning.

We need Mr. Keane to recruit more like-minded people to the board!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
We need an entire board of people like Mr. Keane. The fact that we have not had more people like this on the board in the past is a little sad and it makes me wonder "what could have been?" if we had someone with this much concern for good design from the beginning.

We need Mr. Keane to recruit more like-minded people to the board!
To note, he has been hiring new planners across his department. Getting like-minded people working throughout the department is essential, too. I agree though we also need more like-minded individuals at the public facing decision making levels.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post

Kidding aside, I'm glad to see someone pushing for better design in this city; I just hope it doesn't all turn into fake historicity. And can we talk about how the three examples in the article were all by the same firm?
He basically addressed this in the article. He is not demanding a particular style of building. As long as design uses quality materials and adheres to the standards of good urbanism in terms of proportions at the street level, we will be in great shape as the city continues to develop.

Last edited by Martinman; Dec 18, 2018 at 3:29 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Nice update, jnihiser! I had been wondering about hr cityplace project. Lots of great infill going in with close proximity to buckhead jobs and MATTA accessible.

Memorial drive is really filling in nicely, too. Honestly looks like it could be one of Atlanta’s denser commercial areas in just a few years. Atlanta dairies is adding a ton more to the existing development and doing it with substantially better land use than Madison yards. 3k mentioned another development in the corridor that will also add 250 units by another developer. Trying to find out if it’s different than what we know about already.

The development will include residential, office, and retail land uses. Approximate uses and densities are detailed as follows: Residential: 564 multi-family units Office: 46,165 SF Retail: 86,408 SF
https://apps.dca.ga.gov/DRI/InitialForm.aspx?driid=2897
Based on those numbers, the only thing they are adding to Atlanta Dairies is another multi-family development around 264 units on the "outparcel" site. Apparently, the new development is enough to push the development over the DRI threshold. They are already marketing around 50,000 sf of office space although they don't appear to have started construction on the main office building.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post

Here here.....the common thread has been that they're all by the same firm....the same ones who did the 10th/Williams street dual brand hotel monstrosity as well as the Hampton Inn crap going in on West Peachtree.

Perhaps this effort will shake up their firm to stop designing - as Tim Keane puts it - "Mr. Potatohoead Buildings".

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 7:08 PM

Waldorf Astoria officially opens in Atlanta, property sold for $60.5 million

The hotel soars 42 stories over Peachtree Road, with 127 rooms and 10 suites. The property also includes a spa, meeting space, Del Frisco’s Grille and residences.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/manda...TPyyNKdn52jZK/

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:17 PM

There is some equipment in the cheetah parking lot, looks like one thing may be a soil sample machine

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
There is some equipment in the cheetah parking lot, looks like one thing may be a soil sample machine
Cautiously optimistic... yet...

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Is there something actually planned for that site or did I completely miss any development news for a project there?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Is there something actually planned for that site or did I completely miss any development news for a project there?

Nothing official, just a handful of rumors that are starting to smell like smoke.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Nothing official, just a handful of rumors that are starting to smell like smoke.
Can you share those rumors?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
I wonder if they will include the Cheetah as part of the development similar to a coffee shop or restaurant. That would be an interesting mix of uses.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 6:42 PM

It was discussed on the previous page from the last few posts:

Quote:
There’s a picture on Reddit that suggests the cheetah sign was taken down. One commentor in the entertainment industry suggested the rumor is it will be shutting down soon for redevelopment. Another connector confirmed it will be closing down shortly after the new year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Can confirm I saw the signage sitting on a flatbed while the same company who took it down was working on the Coca-Cola sign at Five Points.

I really doubt Cheetah is closing though, the sign looked like it was missing some pieces and needed fixing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSkyPalaceOwner View Post
I agree in general, but there was a post that didn't receive too much attention a few weeks ago saying that there was a rumor that the Cheeta owner agreed to sell. Seems more like a 1/3 2/3 or 40/60 type of thing now than something far fetched.

EDITED TO CLARIFY: The sign moving almost certainly has nothing to do with the Cheetah closing down.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:
It appears they are just using that lot for staging some equipment for the utility work they have been doing all week on the east side of Spring. I did not see a core drilling machine in the lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations