HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 3:13 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

I think it's weird that the Wainright picture is a black and white from the '70s (60's?) but the rest are more recent color (at least) shots. Weird. As if no pictures have been taken since.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 2:41 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinefeld View Post
Dear PBS, Chestnut Hill is a neighborhood in Philadelphia. Sheesh. But I'm glad they included this postmodernist gem. Also noteworthy is the Esherick House (by Louis I. Kahn), just down the road a piece.
I don't know what the typical mailing address formality is in Philadelphia. I do know that in New York, people in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Bronx typically use their borough names as their mailing city. (In Manhattan's case, they put down "New York, NY")

But for many parts of Queens, they use their neighborhood names as their mailing city. Case in point, I put down "Fresh Meadows, NY". People in Jamaica, Flushing, and Bayside would do the same for their respective neighborhoods.

There is one exception in the Bronx to this rule, and that's for the people living in Riverdale, who think of their neighborhood as a separate town from the Bronx.

I don't know what they use in Staten Island, though.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 3:38 PM
Corporate logo

I don't know if anybody in Philadelphia would put the name of their neighborhood as a mailing city. Maybe this would have been done years ago, but not nowadays. I do know that folks in Germantown would use that as their mailing city (i.e., Germantown, Pennsylvania) well into the twentieth century, but that's an exceptional case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
I don't know what the typical mailing address formality is in Philadelphia. I do know that in New York, people in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Bronx typically use their borough names as their mailing city. (In Manhattan's case, they put down "New York, NY")

But for many parts of Queens, they use their neighborhood names as their mailing city. Case in point, I put down "Fresh Meadows, NY". People in Jamaica, Flushing, and Bayside would do the same for their respective neighborhoods.

There is one exception in the Bronx to this rule, and that's for the people living in Riverdale, who think of their neighborhood as a separate town from the Bronx.

I don't know what they use in Staten Island, though.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 8:53 PM

Sorry, but I think these two buildings changed America in the end more than anything else on this list.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 8:58 PM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Sorry, but I think these two buildings changed America in the end more than anything else on this list.
Of course you would. But in terms of architecture they really didn't.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 9:06 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
you should write to PBS and complain.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 12:20 PM
Architect Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Of course you would. But in terms of architecture they really didn't.
AYE!

Lets be "Brutally" honest for a moment. While the Twin Towers became a symbol of NYC, an icon and something for all America to pull for... The buildings themselves were NOT great architecture. They were perhaps the pinnacle of "Big Boring Box" construction the exemplified the 'architecture' of the 60's and 70's. When all is said and down, they weren othing special, they just 'died' in a special way.

Having now spoke my curmudgeon rant, I shall return this thread to the topic on hand.
"God damn modern architect's and their Brtualism, and 'realism' and damn concrete boxes. Why I remember back when buildings had STYLE back when you would have real ARTISTS working away both inside and out!
"Um, aren't you like barely 30?"
"Thats not the point you damn whipper snapper!"

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
I think it's weird that the Wainright picture is a black and white from the '70s (60's?) but the rest are more recent color (at least) shots. Weird. As if no pictures have been taken since.
I know...more current photos are available all over the internet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/genospi...n/photostream/

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 7:47 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Honestly, I think it's a pretty damned good list, myself. Far better than the standard "Top 10" lists so many of us loathe to read on a daily basis!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Honestly, I think it's a pretty damned good list, myself. Far better than the standard "Top 10" lists so many of us loathe to read on a daily basis!

Aaron (Glowrock)
I agree...in any top 10 list there will be omissions according to differing opinions, but this one is definitely a decent list and each entry is deserving of a place on it.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 9:44 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Wait, how could one of these not make it?

Source

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 12:58 AM

I think suburbia will be represented in general by the shopping mall episode.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 1:16 AM
Ex Houstonian

Yes Levittown changes America forever but not architecturally. There were already houses being built like that in America. Levittown just made America more shitty and cheap.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 3:31 AM

This list was written by rank amateurs.

The Kimball Art Museum in Fort Worth (1972) by Louis I Kahn

source

Or any Louis I Kahn building. The man was a genius in the aesthetic use of materials.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Sony Building is a great building and absolutely belongs on this list. I guess postmodernism has to suck now like brutalism had to and modernism and art deco...

I would also put Portzamparc's LVMH tower on here as a precursor to everything built between then and now.
The Sony Building is a mistake on the NYC skyline; who the hell puts a goddamn chippendale on a blockscraper? Philip Johnson's a joke and a shit-stain on American architecture.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 8:48 PM

Another building that should have been here is the Singer Building. It led to the Landmark Preservation Act and was one of the best examples of Beaux-Arts architecture in the United States.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 11:32 PM
BANNED

This should be on the list.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinefeld View Post
Dear PBS, Chestnut Hill is a neighborhood in Philadelphia. Sheesh. But I'm glad they included this postmodernist gem. Also noteworthy is the Esherick House (by Louis I. Kahn), just down the road a piece.
if they were going to put one philly building, i'd think it would have been psfs. the first modernist skyscraper anywhere in the us by almost twenty years.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperfan23 View Post
This should be on the list.

why?

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 7:17 AM

Sad that it's mostly modern stuff. I hate most modern architecture, it tosses all the wisdom accumulated through human history of form following function. It abandons our western roots and way of life.
Modern architectural "thinking" and its application to urban design are one of the major reasons we in North America have such sprawled cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture