HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 9:50 AM
▓▒░

I realise this is old news but what ever happened to that loft proposal at Confusion Corner, next to the Money Mart? There was a bunch of buzz...transit oriented development(!) the BRT is paying dividends(!) loft style living(!) and then I stopped frequenting this page and when I come back it's vanished. The lot is empty and I don't recall seeing any signage.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS_rls View Post
I realise this is old news but what ever happened to that loft proposal at Confusion Corner, next to the Money Mart? There was a bunch of buzz...transit oriented development(!) the BRT is paying dividends(!) loft style living(!) and then I stopped frequenting this page and when I come back it's vanished. The lot is empty and I don't recall seeing any signage.

Are you talking about this office building that Imperial Properties proposed? They demolished the pre-existing buildings and fenced off the site a while back, but nothing has happened on the site since then.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 2:47 PM

Quote:
I noticed that it changed hands/listing companies a few weeks ago. I think it might have been a Capital properties sign? Anyone know if Capital is a rebrand or if they just bought a bunch of stuff in the last few months?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 5:39 PM

I don't recall there being any plans for residential there, so not sure where "loft style living" is coming from.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I noticed that it changed hands/listing companies a few weeks ago. I think it might have been a Capital properties sign? Anyone know if Capital is a rebrand or if they just bought a bunch of stuff in the last few months?
That's a re-brand of the CBRE- Chartier & Associates Inc. franchise into a stand alone company run by the same people.

this article from the Free Press explains the reason for the change in detail

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...318608501.html

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
I don't recall there being any plans for residential there, so not sure where "loft style living" is coming from.
Recently, they've put banners advertising one of the credit unions (can't remember which -- Access? Assiniboine?). Not sure if this means they're developing a credit union on the site, but if so, that's probably bad news, since I would expect something like this...

Rather than anything with density.

A credit union branch is better than a body shop, I suppose, but it doesn't sound to me like we'll see any multistory commercial (let alone mixed commercial/residential) at that corner.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 11:50 PM

^ To my recollection it was just an ad for a credit union (Carpathia?) as opposed to an sign announcing a new location on that site.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 2:34 PM

Quote:
or maybe this one?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 2:42 PM

Don't recall seeing that one before - now that would be something.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 2:55 PM

^ I forgot about that thing. As nice as it is, that seems purely in the realm of fantasy... I can't imagine who would take up that much brand new, high-priced space in a semi-suburban location. Imperial's ugly little 6 storey box is a lot more realistic.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ To my recollection it was just an ad for a credit union (Carpathia?) as opposed to an sign announcing a new location on that site.
Yeah I think it might've said Karpathia would be a financial partner/backer or something along those lines?

Does anyone know what the implications of the Corydon-Osborne Neighbourhood Plan are? I know that corner was supposed to be high density, but is it something set in stone? Like theoretically would they be allowed to build a one storey credit union there? (Yes, I know that in Winnipeg they generally make exceptions for any reason)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 11:01 AM
▓▒░

It was the one from Imperial thanks! Could have sworn it had residential units! I'm glad it didn't go ahead, what a dud.

That tower would be funny af I wouldn't say no to that.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 8:07 PM

Coming up Nov..(approval needed,[conditional use/variance] It'll pass), 4 storey. 41 unit, underground parkade included, residential proposal by BLDG Architecture Office Inc., zoned R2 at 570 Stradbrook Ave/Nassau St N. Building Specs./Plans.

It's hard to actually keep up with this entire area for proposals/builds. It may not be 10+F but the area is transforming at an incredible pace. Call it (Medium Density Builds), if you prefer,but progress is progress. (haven't added images yet)

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 8:34 PM

^ Good find.

Yeah, the Osborne Village projects have been sweeping through the area in a very subtle way. Those who only drive through the area on Osborne won't notice the changes because there are so few projects over 6 floors, but there have been a lot of new buildings over the past decade.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Good find.

Yeah, the Osborne Village projects have been sweeping through the area in a very subtle way. Those who only drive through the area on Osborne won't notice the changes because there are so few projects over 6 floors, but there have been a lot of new buildings over the past decade.
Yeah, there are so many projects built or about to be built on stradbrook if you take a drive from Wellington to Donald. It's great.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 11:32 PM
BANNED

Great indeed. I am still hoping to see at least one glass tower built along Osborne before long.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 4:09 PM

A couple more additions of note if your familiar with the River Ave/Stradbrook/Scott St. area in Osborne Village.

120 Scott St.(behind Stradbrook Ave.) RMF-M Residential Multi-Family to RMU Residential Mixed Use. Sputnik Architecture want's to build and set up shop.(Not familiar with the firm).

378-384 Wardlaw Ave. (kitty Corner to Scott St. above), Richard Wintrup & Associates, RMF-M to RMF-L, 36 residential units, 29 parking spaces partially below grade. ( this seems to the trend in the area). Even though these proposals are no more than 4-6 Floors, the parking is starting to go underground in many of these new developments, the area is reaching a critical mass IMO.

There are a few other proposals in the Crescentwood area south of Corydon Ave., but they are, for the most part, moving away from your single family dwelling to multiples of x4 and x6.

Details Scroll down to hearings for any additional information.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 6:33 PM

I see there are signs up in front of the Gas Station for the new building, so looks like hopefully fundraising is getting under way now.

Strictly anecdotally talking, but with the Liberals' commitment to not only infrastructure spending but also the arts, hopefully they can see a good chunk of money coming from the feds for this project.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 8:35 PM
BANNED

What a beautiful elevation the development will have at that corner; a lot of glass; a blast of color.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 9:05 PM
What could go wrong?

I see the design has changed a bit. Still pretty busy though.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan