HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Is there any explanation as to why the plan went from this single building on the north of the park
Innovation_before-after by jackftl, on Flickr

to this double tower here? I find it strange they added that over the tracks for no reason.
3_Drexel_Civic_Room_720 addition by jackftl, on Flickr

One will be residence, other office?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:50 AM

to this double tower here? I find it strange they added that over the tracks for no reason.

[/QUOTE]

The more recent one includes the Cira2 site.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:51 AM

Quote:

The more recent on includes the Cira2 site?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 12:19 PM

Conspiracy Theory (a good one!)

The conspiracy theory: Did you notice that Brandywine seemed to overpay a few weeks back for that missing parcel in it Schuylkill Yards portfolio? And this was done right before the Amazon request for proposal? Perhaps they knew the proposal was coming and so also knew they would have to pay even more for this property once the RFP was public? So they rushed to get the deal done? So maybe they had inside knowledge of the RFP in advance, and perhaps even in discussions with Amazon?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 12:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 Level View Post
The conspiracy theory: Did you notice that Brandywine seemed to overpay a few weeks back for that missing parcel in it Schuylkill Yards portfolio? And this was done right before the Amazon request for proposal? Perhaps they knew the proposal was coming and so also knew they would have to pay even more for this property once the RFP was public? So they rushed to get the deal done? So maybe they had inside knowledge of the RFP in advance, and perhaps even in discussions with Amazon?
That's not conspiracy, that's just having good intel.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Makes 100% sense to me. This could very likely be the case.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Is there any explanation as to why the plan went from this single building on the north of the park

There's no guarantee that second rendering is authentic. That second tower added there is over the rail tracks, and is the Cira II site. This may be an alternative plan if they get their hands on the Cira II site. However, Amtrak owns this land, and sent out an RFP to developers for the site. So there is no guarantee Brandywine/Drexel will get their hands on it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:42 PM
Philly Pholly

I'm looking for a reason to read something very positive into this move.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:48 PM

Quote:
True.

Affirmative

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Makes 100% sense to me. This could very likely be the case.
I figured they had something big in the offing when they made the deal for that piece of land. The price paid did raise my eyebrows.

So here is the better question. How much did Amazon say privately to cities before announcing this HQ2 competition. I highly doubt that Amazon decided in August that it was time for a second location and lets throw it out to see what bites. They had to do their homework beforehand.

And if they did their homework, how much talking was done behind the scenes?

Personally, I think 2HQ is heading north (first guess being Ottawa). If it stays in the US, Philly is right there to take it with a serious proposal.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
There's no guarantee that second rendering is authentic. That second tower added there is over the rail tracks, and is the Cira II site. This may be an alternative plan if they get their hands on the Cira II site. However, Amtrak owns this land, and sent out an RFP to developers for the site. So there is no guarantee Brandywine/Drexel will get their hands on it.

One not so small detail, in that it effects the possible time line to development, what Amtrak requested was a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) which is one step away and months removed from a RFP (request for proposal)

But I've got a strong feeling that the Amazon bribery war has caused all sorts of plans and time lines to be reconsidered; what I wouldn't give to be a fly on a few office walls these days. If Philly and Drexel doesn't get Amazon it will be interesting to see if all the positive noise that SY's has been getting changes what Drexel is thinking is possible or probable for their development.

Has anyone actually figured out if Drexel and Brandywine controls all the land that is being considered for SY's?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
So here is the better question. How much did Amazon say privately to cities before announcing this HQ2 competition. I highly doubt that Amazon decided in August that it was time for a second location and lets throw it out to see what bites. They had to do their homework beforehand.

And if they did their homework, how much talking was done behind the scenes?
The news from Chicago was that Rahm was courting them for a while, so who knows.

According to Kenney, in the interview he gave to Bloomberg yesterday, he had ZERO prior knowledge to the RFP announcement and said he learned about it through the news just like everybody else. Maybe take that with a grain of salt, though I'm not quite sure what he'd have to gain by hiding that fact?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
One not so small detail, in that it effects the possible time line to development, what Amtrak requested was a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) which is one step away and months removed from a RFP (request for proposal)

But I've got a strong feeling that the Amazon bribery war has caused all sorts of plans and time lines to be reconsidered; what I wouldn't give to be a fly on a few office walls these days. If Philly and Drexel doesn't get Amazon it will be interesting to see if all the positive noise that SY's has been getting changes what Drexel is thinking is possible or probable for their development.

Has anyone actually figured out if Drexel and Brandywine controls all the land that is being considered for SY's?
Drexel owns the Bulletin Building land and the parking lots on the north side of Arch Street. They also own the parking lots in Chestnut. Only land that wasn't in control was the piece of land on Market that Brandywine purchased recently.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post

Yes. Between Drexel and Brandywine, they now own all of the land.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:46 PM

If Amazon was sending out feelers before the announcement, I doubt Kenney would've been the man contacted. I'm sure they've done advance homework and the folks contacted would've been Brandywine and Liberty. Alternatively, if anyone would be attuned to "rumblings" in the market, it would be Brandywine and Liberty.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
I absolutely believe this! They definitely had some inside intel, possibly even being approached by someone in the industry. I believe that the perfect time to purchase stock in Brandywine (NYSE: BDN) is now, as I have a ton of confidence that there will be a big announcement soon. Looking at the spot rate of BDN stock, it is underpriced compared to what it will shoot up to if an announcement is made!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 4:36 PM
BANNED

It sucks that this thread has been hijacked by all the Amazon speculation. But as long as it has, here is one stray thought:
Since Pittsburgh is also putting in a bid, if there are any state incentives to be offered, can we assume that both cities will be able to offer the same state incentives? Is Harrisburg going to play favorites, or will they just offer the same tax cuts / rebates or whatever, to land Amazon in either city?
The one difference I could see would be the amount of infrastructure investment, as both cities have different levels that would need to be built and / or improved. Then again, we might have the advantage in that area because there is already a public / private partnership for much of that at SY. Don't know about Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
It sucks that this thread has been hijacked by all the Amazon speculation. But as long as it has, here is one stray thought:
Since Pittsburgh is also putting in a bid, if there are any state incentives to be offered, can we assume that both cities will be able to offer the same state incentives? Is Harrisburg going to play favorites, or will they just offer the same tax cuts / rebates or whatever, to land Amazon in either city?
The one difference I could see would be the amount of infrastructure investment, as both cities have different levels that would need to be built and / or improved. Then again, we might have the advantage in that area because there is already a public / private partnership for much of that at SY. Don't know about Pittsburgh.
30th Street area is already designated at KOZ? So I don't know how much more the state can give, except extending the time to X for KOZ.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 7:53 PM
BANNED

park permit issued this month.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
park permit issued this month.
Where/how do you find these?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals