HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
why is this project called "Espace" ?
They wanted to name it after a Renault minivan

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
They wanted to name it after a Renault minivan
Pete's response sounds plausible;
Kwajo's sounds silly and hilarious;
I wondered if it had something to do with there being 3 buildings, 3 spaces, and they reversed the 3 to be a ' E '; 3space > Espace ? ;
dunno anyone else?
inquiring minds...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
why is this project called "Espace" ?
Barrington St. is the Efinal Efrontier?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 3:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Crawford View Post
It means space in French. High-brow marketing?
I believe so. I suspect it also has to do with the additional floors. Espace also means 'outer space' in English, but most often in a context of fine arts. High-brow, indeed.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 2:02 PM

Starfish Espace project on schedule, manager says January 11, 2012 - 8:27pm By REMO ZACCAGNA Business Reporter Flag as offensive 0
Select ratingCancel ratingPoorOkayGoodGreatAwesomeCancel ratingPoorOkayGoodGreatAwesome
No votes yet
'It’s taking the amount of time we want it to take' — Landry says
Artist's rendering of Starfish Properties' Barrington Espace building. (Contributed)
Contrary to reports, the opening of the Barrington Espace building is not delayed, says the project’s developer.

In its fourth quarter office market review, released earlier this week, Colliers International reported that the opening of the renovated former Sam the Record Man building was being pushed “into the latter half of 2012.”

But Rob Landry, property manager of Starfish Properties, said the company is going at its own pace in the three-year rebuild.

“We don’t look at it as being delayed,” he said Wednesday. “We’re working on our project and it’s taking the amount of time we want it to take.”

If the weather co-operates, the building should be finished sometime in the summer, Landry said.

“We’re not pushing to get this done,” he said. “We’re trying to do the best job on this space that we could possibly can. We’re trying to create a great space and as ideas come along, we’re acting on those opportunities.

“So while we thought we might be ready for spring this year, we’re not going to be ready for spring, we’ll probably be ready in the summertime.”

Pam MacFarlane, research director with Colliers International in Halifax, said she stands by her report. Even though the company says the project is not delayed, the project has not followed the schedule previously indicated by Starfish owner Louis Reznick, she said.

“(A delay is) not the interpretation I’m now getting from Mr. Landry. However, Mr. Reznick at one point had said that it was going to be ready in 2011,” MacFarlane said.

She acknowledged the project is a huge undertaking.

“They’re doing extensive (work). I mean they literally ripped everything out behind the second facade. Plus they have a lot of projects on the go ..... so that is a lot of renovations for one small firm.”

The report indicated the current downtown vacancy rate was 11.8 per cent in the fourth quarter, up from 8.1 per cent the previous quarter. The suburban vacancy rate was 10.4 per cent.

The availability rate for downtown Class A units (defined by the Building Owners and Managers Association as the most prestigious buildings with rents above average for an area) is 13.2 per cent, while the vacancy rate is seven per cent. The availability for Class B units (those that compete for a wide range of users with rents in the average range for the area) is 10.1 per cent, with a vacancy rate at 14.9 per cent.

(The availability rate has elevated in importance over the vacancy rate of late. A fluctuating vacancy rate illustrates the rise and fall of available space over a three-month period, whereas the availability rate shows what is happening in the marketplace over a longer time period.)

Once open, the 35,000-square-foot Espace building will have little impact on the downtown office market vacancy rate because of its size, MacFarlane said.

“To make any significant change in the vacancy rate, you’d have to have a larger absorption of space,” she said. “It will increase inventory and it will increase vacancy probably when it comes on but not significantly at all.”

While the lower vacancy rate in the suburban office market will continue over the first few months of 2012, MacFarlane said it should dissipate over time.

“Some of the western provinces are experiencing some suburban office moving back downtown. Halifax won’t see that for the next year,” she said. “The outlook for 2012 is basically a continuing migration to the suburbs, but I feel it’s going to slow the latter part of the year.”

(rzaccagna@herald.ca)

About the Author
By REMO ZACCAGNA Business Reporter

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 3:10 AM
積屍氣冥界波

The sound of buzzsaw is music to my ears

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 3:23 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Hopefully they'll be cleaning the facades soon. Buildings like this look really great when they are cleaned up.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 3:44 AM
Honored Member

Thank you for the pictures SekishikiMeikaiHa. It will be great to see this development as it nears completion.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 3:50 AM

Photos by me from today:

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 2:04 PM

Seems like nothing has changed on these sites in months. I walk by almost every day and I;`m lucky to see a worker in these buildings.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 3:03 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
Seems like nothing has changed on these sites in months. I walk by almost every day and I;`m lucky to see a worker in these buildings.
It does seem like a slow construction pace. However, based on previous photos, it looks like the interior was almost completely gutted and now I can see that the new interior floors are being constructed. I would guess that within the next couple of months we should see the additional storey being constructed.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 10:37 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

By me. Not a lot of change in the past weeks.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 8:28 AM
Honored Member

Has there been much progress on the Espace over the past few weeks? It would be good to see it completed for the sake of Barrington Street and also so that Starfish can start on the new Roy Building, which I hope will be mostly residential.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 1:13 PM

Nothing ever happens on this project. It's been sitting like this for months now. I walk by it everyday. It's ridiculous.

Looks the same as it did 4/5 months ago

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 1:22 PM

I always look inside when I can. There are people working on it. It looks like they are really re-inforcing the inside They have huge steel beams going across now.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 3:20 PM
Honored Member

Thanks for the updates.

It seems to be a somewhat complex renovation. Hopefully once they get the difficult construction details completed then it will move along quickly.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 6:25 PM

Maybe they hired Polycorp's 5 Moes to work on the thing.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Maybe they hired Polycorp's 5 Moes to work on the thing.
I don't think they hired more than two of them.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 8:48 PM

How many decades might it take for the 5 moes to build the Roy Building?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 10:11 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It seems to be a somewhat complex renovation. Hopefully once they get the difficult construction details completed then it will move along quickly.
I guess they basically need to build a whole new structure in behind the existing masonry facades that can support an extra three storeys above. Progress will be more noticeable when they start adding floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth