HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
While it's certainly true that the Conservative's voter base might not be your typical transit user, I think it's not really fair to say the party would ignore transit. Looking at the federal party which is very similar to the provincial party they've supported transit across the country much more then the previous governments. I think we'd see a BC Conservative party continue and even potential increase funding in transit but likely in ways it saw fit.

^But really, you can say that of any political party. I wouldn't put it past any party currently to support/fight transit funding if it helps them politically.

And count me as skeptical of the BC conservatives supporting strong transit initiatives, unless they grow a significant urban constituency, and/or take over the centre-right coalition mantle from the libs.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 3:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
^But really, you can say that of any political party. I wouldn't put it past any party currently to support/fight transit funding if it helps them politically.

And count me as skeptical of the BC conservatives supporting strong transit initiatives, unless they grow a significant urban constituency, and/or take over the centre-right coalition mantle from the libs.
Cummings and the gang started an Axe the Tax web site opposed to the gas tax for the Evergreen Line and did not offer any realistic suggestions on how to fund it. They instead tried to pander to the vocal minority of tax haters. Pretty obvious that they are not really serious about transit.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 3:03 AM

Amidst all the transit hiccups anyone notice how off-timing the millennium/expo line train announcements have been lately?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 3:08 AM

what happenned to canada line today? sounds like quite the chaotic mess today

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 7:10 AM

There's a "track circuitry issue" near Olympic Village in the northbound direction. Eventually it was decided that trains wouldn't be stopping there on the way to downtown and it's been a broken service all day.

As of two hours ago they still haven't diagnosed the issue and said "We have no idea of knowing if this will be ongoing tomorrow, ... take the bus instead to be safe" and to check CTV or visit/call TransLink and check their Twitter in the morning before heading out to take the Canada Line.

The current running setup is "Canada Line Trains from Richmond or YVR towards Waterfront will turn back at Broadway Stn to Olympic Stn outbound towards Richmond. A shuttle train is in place between Waterfront Stn and Olympic Stn both directions."

I don't quite understand that as Olympic Village is after Broadway, but regardless the line has been separated into two sections to avoid Olympic Village.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 7:45 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki View Post
There's a "track circuitry issue" near Olympic Village in the northbound direction. Eventually it was decided that trains wouldn't be stopping there on the way to downtown and it's been a broken service all day.

As of two hours ago they still haven't diagnosed the issue and said "We have no idea of knowing if this will be ongoing tomorrow, ... take the bus instead to be safe" and to check CTV or visit/call TransLink and check their Twitter in the morning before heading out to take the Canada Line.

The current running setup is "Canada Line Trains from Richmond or YVR towards Waterfront will turn back at Broadway Stn to Olympic Stn outbound towards Richmond. A shuttle train is in place between Waterfront Stn and Olympic Stn both directions."

I don't quite understand that as Olympic Village is after Broadway, but regardless the line has been separated into two sections to avoid Olympic Village.
There have actually been issues with the Olympic Village since at least this past Sunday. I was on the train on Sunday afternoon heading northbound, and at Olympic Village Station three of the green vest operators walked up to the control panel at the front of the train, unlocked and opened the train manual driving board, and said something along the lines of "there have been issues all day." There weren't any major issues at the time, the doors took maybe 10-15 secs longer to close.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:55 PM

Does anybody know what the SLA is for InTransitBC and how this will affect their payment? Surely this kind of ongoing debacle will result in penalties.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:13 PM

Are there actual delays? I need to be at city hall Thursday morning and the trip planner suggests to take canada line from Granville stn instead of the 99 from commercial.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
There have actually been issues with the Olympic Village since at least this past Sunday.
Even earlier - on Saturday night they were running shuttle trains between Olympic Village and Waterfront.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:40 PM

TransLink twitter reports that the issue at OV was fixed overnight and the Canada Line is back to normal this morning.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPaul View Post
Are there actual delays? I need to be at city hall Thursday morning and the trip planner suggests to take canada line from Granville stn instead of the 99 from commercial.
yes - three of my classmates had to get off at king edward yesterday and they took a cab from there to get downtown - i don't know what was going on but the talk around the school was canada line was not working - this was around 1:00 pm

they didn't know how they would get home, i told them about the bus bridge running from downtown to broadway station, which was on twitter to ease the crowding issues

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki View Post

There's a crossover switch ("X") north of Broadway-City Hall Station, so northbound trains switch over, then can get to the southbound Olympic Station platform, then reverse direction and head south.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 7:36 PM

<bump>

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Does anybody know what the SLA is for InTransitBC and how this will affect their payment? Surely this kind of ongoing debacle will result in penalties.
I would love to know this too. I found myself discussing it with a friend and conjecturing that it is better for this to happen on Canada Line than Expo Line, since a financial penalty might help the concessionaire to react quickly, decisively, and (hopefully) permanently to address the problem.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 8:23 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...k-funding.html

Quote:
TransLink CEO confirms expansion plans on hold
The head of TransLink has confirmed all future expansion plans for the Metro Vancouver transit system are being halted, but the Evergreen Line will still go ahead.

CEO Ian Jarvis says the move will affect planned transit service improvements south of the Fraser, including the rapid bus service over the new Port Mann Bridge, another down King George Boulevard in Surrey and 600,000 hours of additional service.

"The prudent thing to do is to place those things on hold until we have the funding in place," Jarvis said Tuesday morning.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 9:10 PM

With today's announcements by Translink's Ian Jarvis, the time has come for the stakeholders especially the government to make some constructive decisions on a proper sustainable funding mechanism for Translink.

The Government has to play a significant legislative role,and stop!! rejecting every idea that Translink brings foreward.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
There's a crossover switch ("X") north of Broadway-City Hall Station, so northbound trains switch over, then can get to the southbound Olympic Station platform, then reverse direction and head south.
And at the same time there's a Waterfront - Olympic shuttle train using the 'inbound' track that is still working OK.

The 'outbound' (aka Richmond -bound) track between Waterfront and Olympic isn't being used for trains while the problems with the signalling are being fixed.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st7860 View Post
oops! main street+metrotown station won't have faregates because there's no funding available.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Tra...344/story.html
It will not be that much of an issue other than the Metrotown <-> Main Street trips I guess. They can always charge the maximum fare if you forget to swipe in

Metrotown was never planned to have fare gate in 2013, otherwise station reconstruction would be nearly completed by now as they are begin installing them around this May.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 11:16 PM
BANNED

If routes like the 43 were extended to run all the time, there probably wouldn't be so many 'issues' with the 99.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Hanging party for all groups involved please.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 11:30 PM

I guess we're not going to be seeing the tap in/out system until the renos at Main Street and Metrotown are complete, unless they put in some kind of temporary readers in lieu of full faregates.

Edit: there will indeed be temporary readers installed: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1496

Last edited by GeeCee; Apr 18, 2012 at 12:04 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure