HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
I just don't think there would be enough through movements to make an extension of the Expo in the direction of east to be worth it (though I would love for a new line to serve that area).
Extending Expo Line would not be intended for through movements of people. It would be for through movements of trains. If Hastings Line is connected to Expo or other existing line, then you do not need a new OMC. (Where would you build an OMC otherwise?)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 7:41 PM

Quote:
This I also had in mind but I would rather create this as a brand new line. Extending the Expo would be of no use due to likely lack of through movements depending on direction, along with inflexibility of frequency/line cost due to the frequency having to be the same as the more regionally oriented expo line throughout. This would also look extremely confusing on a map. A new line could use the same Waterfront Station centre-track platform, where most transfers would be get off-get on using the same platform (with Expo Line trains terminating there and trains of the new line going through).
I think you and I are on the same page. I had no intention of interlining except for waterfront station.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 8:47 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
I just don't think there would be enough through movements to make an extension of the Expo in the direction of east to be worth it (though I would love for a new line to serve that area).
Seriously?

It's ~7km to Park Royal from Waterfront.
7km from Waterfront takes you to Willingdon heights in Burnaby.

Do you really feel an extension that possibly stops at Bute/Jervis, Denman, Stanley Park and Park Royal would have higher ridership potential than a route that hits Gastown, Main @ Hastings, Chinatown, Hastings @ Commercial, Hastings @ Nanaimo, Hastings @ Renfrew and Willingdon Heights (West)?

There are at a minimum 7 possible station locations for the Hastings corridor. I really don't think connecting West Vancouver (Park Royal) to the SkyTrain network should be a big priority.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

By emphasizing this, are you considering the eventual prolongation going deeper, then under the harbour?

Something I'd love to see, but don't think I ever will, nor most posters here.
No, I'm saying the CL is as far north as it will ever be...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 2:31 AM

i've got the bus many times from georgia and burrard and even during rush at the most it takes 15 minutes to get to park royal by bus

Last edited by SpongeG; Jul 26, 2011 at 2:57 AM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 2:50 AM

The N19 needs to start running sooner on Sunday nights.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 3:04 AM
(daka_x)

It's not that I don't support new construction of skytrain along the Hastings corridor; my new commute pattern frequently takes me there and I believe it is a corridor that could use expanded rapid transit on that scale, before the north shore. I was referring to what to do with the expo line itself (later on). Taking it to Park Royal or elsewhere on the north shore makes much more sense in terms of purpose (regional connection) and travel patterns.

If a new Hastings line were indeed to be prioritized in the future and later constructed, provisions to construct the line down on Willingdon to the Metrotown area should be made as well.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I'm no transit expert like Stephen Rees or Malcolm Johnstone, but leaving the Canada Line without the option of extending past Waterfront Station seems just plain dumb. Now you can't take advantage of the expensive Downtown stations that have been already built if the Canada Line was able to be extended down Hastings St. or wherever.

Any transit fantasy about the Canada Line will have to take place in Richmond. How boring.
I remembered this thread from the Waterfront Station Transportation Hub forum from several months back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fever View Post
Looking at the section, the entrances to the seabus are kind of odd. Not a big deal and just a concept but whatever. I threw the ramps I was wondering about on there as well. Also just to see if it can fit, the grade of a canada line extension. Not sure which is more accurate but it doesn't look like it fits under the skytrain platform as is.

The author took an image from the Waterfront Station Transportation Hub to make some sketches of other ideas for the Transportation Hub.
Looking at this section view through the centre line of Granville St, on the right there are red and yellow lines suggesting how different tunnels continuing the Canada Line north of the Waterfront Station platforms can use two different slopes to get under the Expo/Millennium platforms and the West Coast Express platforms. The slopes for these proposed tunnels are already less than what the C-Line is capable of handling - I think the tunnels south of Yaletown Station to get under False Creek drop off at a higher percentage than these do.

These sketched lines level out after passing under the WCE tracks, but there's nothing preventing these tunnels from continuing their downward slope deeper under the railway yards & under the harbour to North Vancouver Lonsdale Quay.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 4:05 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I thought we already established that the inlet was too deep and the drop off too steep on either side to extend the Canada Line across.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
I thought we already established that the inlet was too deep and the drop off too steep on either side to extend the Canada Line across.
And for god sake, if you're paying that much for a tunnel to the north shore, why the hell wouldn't you pay for a line to Langley or a line under Broadway first?

Really, the north shore should be connected to Burnaby with a commutter rail service. There just isn't the transit development to warrant a full blown transit line.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 4:41 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Build a gondola across the Burrard inlet. The centre towers might be a problem but heck if we're being unrealistic anyways.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Build a gondola across the Burrard inlet. The centre towers might be a problem but heck if we're being unrealistic anyways.
All the cars can have rockets strapped to the side for extra expediency.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 4:49 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I could see one day like, street cars over the lions gate, that's about it

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
I remembered this thread from the Waterfront Station Transportation Hub forum from several months back...
Can somebody confirm this information, I hate not knowing for sure. It makes way more sense to have the C Line able to extend past Waterfront to wherever, or is the C Line truly stuck at Waterfront? And what is the maximum grade the C Line can handle?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 5:21 AM

The North Shore doesn't merit all this discussion of mid-inlet crossings... lol. Canada Line did not account for such an extension for the very good reason that it is ridiculous. You want SkyTrain to the North Shore? Then hang it under the car deck of 2nd Narrows when that bridge is being widened in 10 yrs from now. That is the only place that a new rail crossing might see light of day.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
The North Shore doesn't merit all this discussion of mid-inlet crossings... lol. Canada Line did not account for such an extension for the very good reason that it is ridiculous. You want SkyTrain to the North Shore? Then hang it under the car deck of 2nd Narrows when that bridge is being widened in 10 25 yrs from now. That is the only place that a new rail crossing might see light of day.
Come on, this is BC we're talking about.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 9:50 PM
Transit User

RiverBus

RiverBus proposed to link cities from Langley to Richmond

By Grant Granger - New Westminster News Leader
Published: July 25, 2011 12:00 PM

http://www.bclocalnews.com/greater_v...126125783.html

A few years ago Jeff Malmgren was doing some consulting work on the River District area of Vancouver just west of Boundary Road where it’s expected about 15,000 people will eventually live. He began to wonder “how are these people going to get around?”

He also noticed while doing some work for the City of New Westminster on the civic centre in the midst of a burgeoning Downtown how people were beginning to reconnect with the river.

So why not, he thought, go back in time and use the river to get around?

The result is the Fraser RiverBus Society, and he presented his concept to the Metro Vancouver regional planning committee last Friday.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 10:06 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Sounds exactly like the RiverBus in London. Except in Vancouver, there isn't enough ridership to support such a service.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 3:07 AM

i wonder if once the evergreen line is done if a ferry from deep cove to port moody could be useful or feasible - might be a bit of a trek from the potential landing to the station but could be useful

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Sounds exactly like the RiverBus in London. Except in Vancouver, there isn't enough ridership to support such a service.
Actually on second thought it may work... but more developments like Port Royal, Fraserlands, and River District have to be built first of course.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure