HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 12:06 AM

Same thing happened to me.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 4:13 PM
BANNED

more fuss! if they had just increased property taxes and/or income taxes this wouldn't be in the news all the time.

http://www.theprovince.com/business/...622/story.html

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 5:44 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by st7860 View Post
more fuss! if they had just increased property taxes and/or income taxes this wouldn't be in the news all the time.

http://www.theprovince.com/business/...622/story.html
The article was actually somewhat positive, considering it came from The Province.

But one thing that irks me is this ongoing comment from "Tim Lawrence" that the Evergreen Line only "benefits a few cities". Considering the guy was from Vancouver, I wonder if he realized that the Canada Line, which the tax payers of the Northeast Sector has paid quite dearly with the increases in property tax, fuel tax, and parking tax implemented back then, only "benefits two cities, including his".

Little do these people realize that for every Tri City resident going to Vancouver that is able take Skytrain, that is one less car clogging up his roads? Honestly, the mindset of these dumbass Vancouverites make me question the so called excellent educational systems that we have here in Canada...or maybe its just an example of the sense of entitlement culture that is so prevalent today...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
The article was actually somewhat positive, considering it came from The Province.

But one thing that irks me is this ongoing comment from "Tim Lawrence" that the Evergreen Line only "benefits a few cities". Considering the guy was from Vancouver, I wonder if he realized that the Canada Line, which the tax payers of the Northeast Sector has paid quite dearly with the increases in property tax, fuel tax, and parking tax implemented back then, only "benefits two cities, including his".

Little do these people realize that for every Tri City resident going to Vancouver that is able take Skytrain, that is one less car clogging up his roads? Honestly, the mindset of these dumbass Vancouverites make me question the so called excellent educational systems that we have here in Canada...or maybe its just an example of the sense of entitlement culture that is so prevalent today...
He also didn't realize that Vancouver will recieve the first batch of transit improvements in 22 days, due to this extra funding, even before Evergreen line begin construction...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 10:06 PM

in 22 days? whats happening then? i am confused

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxp View Post
in 22 days? whats happening then? i am confused
Improved service on the 19, 41, 99, SeaBus, N19, and N24. Also a routing change for 41. Other improvements include routes 97, 145, 210, 229, 230, and new route 531. There are also some minor cuts to routes 106, 130, 135, 240, 319, 320, and 410 (so they are no longer FTN ).

Some source says there are other improvements, but I don't see them appear on the new timetable, and I don't know what to trust... Maybe they are either adding, cancelling, or postponing the proposed improvement at the very last minute? These include routes 49, 84, 320, 410, 502, and even more SeaBus service.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 10:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Improved service on the 19, 41, 99, SeaBus, N19, and N24. Also a routing change for 41. Other improvements include routes 97, 145, 210, 229, 230, and new route 531. There are also some minor cuts to routes 106, 130, 135, 240, 319, 320, and 410 (so they are no longer FTN ).

Some source says there are other improvements, but I don't see them appear on the new timetable, and I don't know what to trust... Maybe they are either adding, cancelling, or postponing the proposed improvement at the very last minute? These include routes 49, 84, 320, 410, 502, and even more SeaBus service.

here's a list of stuff but its mostly improvements to offpeak service. what they don't tell everyone is that a few routes in vancouver were changed to hourly service after 10pm a few years ago and will still remain that way.(not community shuttle routes, but real bus routes)
http://www.translink.ca/en/About-Us/...d-to-2012.aspx

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 10:59 PM

Those routes that get cut a few years ago, you'll probably never see them back as they are, according to them, the worst performers. Right now, they are still in the process of cutting the worse services, and will still do that in the forseeable future. Although I would rather see them running half-hourly community shuttle service in late evening rather than hourly conventional buses...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 11:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Those routes that get cut a few years ago, you'll probably never see them back as they are, according to them, the worst performers. Right now, they are still in the process of cutting the worse services, and will still do that in the forseeable future. Although I would rather see them running half-hourly community shuttle service in late evening rather than hourly conventional buses...
The routes in question aren't routes with seasonal demand. they are relatively normal routes that run mostly north south. (the 27, 28, and 29)

I just find the whole process amusing. I still see frequent overcrowding on more mainstream routes such as the 41 on Saturdays and Sundays.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st7860 View Post
The routes in question aren't routes with seasonal demand. they are relatively normal routes that run mostly north south. (the 27, 28, and 29)

I just find the whole process amusing. I still see frequent overcrowding on more mainstream routes such as the 41 on Saturdays and Sundays.
If I remember correctly, the hours from the service cut will ideally to be redistributed locally. So for any service increase in Vancouver route without a net increase of service hours, they also must come from a cut in other Vancouver route.

For any new service hours, half of them need to be distributed SoF, and the other half are shared by Vancouver, Burnaby, North Shore, NES, and I believe, Richmond.

For the case of Vancouver, the 99 and 49 are at a much higher priority than the 41... so yeah.. there's the chance of improved service for the 41. There will be no improvement in the 41 this April beside a small re-route in UBC area (all trips go via TRUMF) and a few garage-bound trips being shown on the timetable...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 3:06 AM

Iv'e always womderd how necessary the #84 is on the weekends because it is always empty whenever I see it.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 6:58 PM
BANNED

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Loui...673/story.html
A man convicted of assaulting a bus driver in Burnaby last year has been handed an 18-month conditional sentence, plus two years probation.

Del Louie, who was 21 at the time of the offence, attacked Coast Mountain bus driver Charles Dixon, 55, on a bus near Edmonds Station on Feb. 15 last year. Dixon was left with a black eye and required surgery that placed a plate and screws in his face after he asked Louie not to board his bus via the back doors.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:35 PM

Translink has released a map of the frequent transit network as well as slightly adjusted the definition for it.

And here is Jarrett Walkers reaction.
http://www.humantransit.org/2012/04/...-revealed.html

Last edited by bardak; Apr 4, 2012 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 11:11 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardak View Post
Translink has released a map of the frequent transit network as well as slightly adjusted the definition for it.

And here is Jarrett Walkers reaction.
http://www.translink.ca/~/media/docu...ork%20map.ashx
I think you mean Jarret walkers reaction

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
I think you mean Jarret walkers reaction
thanks. fixed.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 4:16 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Iv'e always womderd how necessary the #84 is on the weekends because it is always empty whenever I see it.
I think, and hope, that the #84 will only become more popular as it is the only bus that goes to the Great Northern Way Campus. That whole area is being developed and there are schools/businesses moving in that area.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 5:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
I think, and hope, that the #84 will only become more popular as it is the only bus that goes to the Great Northern Way Campus. That whole area is being developed and there are schools/businesses moving in that area.
There is also a lot of housing going in around the Olympic Village and Main Street. That should increase bus usage quite a bit on the weekends.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
There is also a lot of housing going in around the Olympic Village and Main Street. That should increase bus usage quite a bit on the weekends.
I take the 84 westbound on Sunday about once a month. 30 min frequency (so planning is a must), most recently March 25 around 1:47 PM, and most seats were occupied as we left VCC-Clark; standing room only after Olympic Village. In the summer, it can pass up passengers at O.V. So yes, imho, the 84 is needed on weekends.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 5:55 AM

The 84 also makes for a decent bypass if the Expo Line is having issues downtown...Canada Line to OV, 84 to VCC-Clark, Millenium Line to Broadway. Used it to get out of the city during the riots.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 6:53 PM
BANNED

see all the people in the comments section whining about tolls - lol

http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...127/story.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure