HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I found the PATH tricky to navigate (seemed to up and die in various places despite the map saying otherwise), and I am a veteran urban explorer. Montreal's RESO is also not particularly easy to navigate in numerous spots, although I revel in demonstrating my knowledge of the obscure nooks and crannies, byways and sideways, etc. to visitors and to native Montrealais alike.
I feel the same way. Love showing people how to use the PATH. One of my co-workers this morning was telling another how thanks to me he can walk 3 km underground on cold days like today. I also have the same issue with the RESO that you have with PATH. it all boils down to experience.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 1:32 AM

There's a limit to how much can or should be built in terms of pedestrian tunnels and skywalks. It all comes down to "is your city "too big to fail", or will the walkways kill your downtown".

In Ottawa, we might need a few n/s e/w tunnels from the stations to office buildings to offset the pedestrian traffic on the street (we'll go from about 8 bus stops on two streets to 2 subway stations under one street). Currently, only 8 CBD buildings (4 office towers, 2 hotels and a low rise office building) are confirmed connected. In any case, we can't support anything as big as RESO or PATH, though it wouldn't hurt to expand the system bit by bit over the next few decades.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
There's a limit to how much can or should be built in terms of pedestrian tunnels and skywalks. It all comes down to "is your city "too big to fail", or will the walkways kill your downtown".

In Ottawa, we might need a few n/s e/w tunnels from the stations to office buildings to offset the pedestrian traffic on the street (we'll go from about 8 bus stops on two streets to 2 subway stations under one street). Currently, only 8 CBD buildings (4 office towers, 2 hotels and a low rise office building) are confirmed connected. In any case, we can't support anything as big as RESO or PATH, though it wouldn't hurt to expand the system bit by bit over the next few decades.
To be fair those 8 bus stops really only count as 4, because there's 4 in each direction.

Plus both of those Confederation Line stations will each have 2 entrances. So from street perspective there's still 4 entrances.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
To be fair those 8 bus stops really only count as 4, because there's 4 in each direction.

Plus both of those Confederation Line stations will each have 2 entrances. So from street perspective there's still 4 entrances.
Still down by half if you look at each bus stop as an "entrance". The northern subway alignment under Queen is also much less central than the current bus stop configuration, so more N/S pedestrian traffic. Of course the connection to buildings can also be considered entrances, so maybe 6 total so far.

Last edited by J.OT13; Feb 22, 2015 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 11:18 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Yeah, 200 subways, McDonald's, Amirs and Sukiyakis served to you on a paper plate. Big deal.

I wonder if any of our underground cities have so much as single decent restaurant within them. Or any interesting stores for that matter (not counting the malls connected to them). It seems like there should be something cool tucked away in some hidden corner of these labyrinthine complexes, but then rent is usually too high for Mom & Pops and the space not desirable enough for higher-end businesses, so probably not.

I've never been a fan of PATH but I've been using it a lot this winter. I still have to go outside to get home and to school, but otherwise I've been doing most of my shopping at least in PATH connected places. Judging by the crowds I don't seem to be the only one with that idea either. Traditional high street retailers must be suffering this season. And as someone who loves to walk, it's also been good at serving that purpose while the cold is too severe to be outside. That is, at least until it gets up to the odd balmy -5° like today. It was a lovely treat to not feel like I was about to die as soon as I stepped out the door.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 11:23 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Here is a great shot of the space under West Cordova street. You can see the skytrain guideway, with windows on the lower levels of the Marine Building, that once upon a time looked over the ocean.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...n/CGS_0705.jpg

Windows looking out into a subway tunnel? Now that's pretty cool.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 12:13 AM
Busy Beaver

I'm surprised no one in Ottawa has mentioned the Carleton University tunnels, probably the city's largest underground network

Ugly, but hey, you can walk around campus in shorts all year

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 1:16 AM

Those keep escaping my mind. Possibly because I've never been.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 2:09 AM
Give us a kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I wonder if any of our underground cities have so much as single decent restaurant within them. Or any interesting stores for that matter (not counting the malls connected to them). It seems like there should be something cool tucked away in some hidden corner of these labyrinthine complexes, but then rent is usually too high for Mom & Pops and the space not desirable enough for higher-end businesses, so probably not.
There is a pretty good coffee place (literally a hole in the wall) in the tunnel connecting place ville marie and eaton centre. It's actually called Tunnel.

Source: twitter / Katerine-Lune Rollet

Very unlikely spot for a quality coffee place (or anything of quality, really - this is one of the dreariest tunnels in the reso)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 2:36 AM

I am amazed with other Canadian cities underground (and above ground) pedestrian networks.

There are a few small ones in Vancouver (chiefly the one around Waterfront Station and the somewhat sizable one around Pacific Centre) but nothing compared to other Canadian cities.

Does Victoria have any underground or above ground walkways? Besides a few highway overpasses it may be the most at grade city in Canada.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 2:43 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Here in London, we have something analogous to Carleton at UWO. Tunnels connect most buildings, although some are cordoned off (due to being haunted). Carleton's tunnels with the banners look quite cool.

https://www.uwo.ca/fm/pdf/contractor_maps/tunnels.pdf
http://www.lionsdenu.com/10-western-...told-me-about/

A sampler:
Video Link

Video Link

Many of the tunnels are pretty much deserted. This one is haunted:
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 2:51 PM

There are a few restaurants that seem to stay open and busy late into the evening in the PATH. Mostly Japanese that I've seen. There are also a few that stay open though not busy to feed the traders that work overnight.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Here in London, we have something analogous to Carleton at UWO. Tunnels connect most buildings, although some are cordoned off (due to being haunted). Carleton's tunnels with the banners look quite cool.
Kidding me right?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 3:56 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

"Tunnel closed due to: ghosts"

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 10:47 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Tunnels unearthed underneath Toronto.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...enue-1.2968367

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 9:05 AM
video et taceo

ghosts are scary.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Tunnels unearthed underneath Toronto.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...enue-1.2968367
Rob Ford started construction of his subways early?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 2:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 2:20 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Right boys, the peameal stops here.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 8:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I've always liked this sloped tunnel connecting with Bonaventure Metro Station (Montreal)

metrodemontreal

another image:

montrealinpictures.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada