HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBuyer View Post
"...Among them is Skidmore Owings Merrill LLP..."
Lets just hope that we don't see a Chicago effect where they pass on higher quality teams just for some local boys to get a shot. There are way too many talented architects going for this to see a commercial firm get the nod.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 6:32 PM
dream fast

10-8

Burberry

Last edited by george; Oct 12, 2011 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 6:38 PM
Windy City Dan

It's really too bad that the neighborhood blocked Burberry from installing screens in the building. That would have been the icing on the cake.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:55 PM
THAT Guy

^A few blocks east on Ontario...

Demolition work in preparation for the wonderful new NMH pavilion

345 E Ohio (3) by Sky Ninja, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 9:22 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Lets just hope that we don't see a Chicago effect where they pass on higher quality teams just for some local boys to get a shot. There are way too many talented architects going for this to see a commercial firm get the nod.
The local architects are very talented firms. I would hate to see a "commercial firm" like RTKL or Gensler win the job, but the local firms include many small, talented local teams like David Woodhouse, John Ronan, and Krueck + Sexton.

These are guys that really need a big break to get noticed on a global level. Navy Pier is about as big of a break as they hope for. It's the most visible site in the whole city.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 9:44 PM
BANNED

^^^ If Kreuk and Sexton get it I wonder if it will be one of their "what it would look like if you were on acid" designs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Demolition work in preparation for the wonderful new NMH pavilion
The cancer is metastasizing. Doesn't NMH know a thing or two about cancer treatment? Too bad they are a cancer on the cityscape themselves.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 1:21 AM

You wonder why they can't build those tower much taller. With all the expensive hospital floors in the lower levels, the rest is just clinical services and office space. Building those at higher floors should be just a fraction of constructing the hospital floors or an entirely new building altogether.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 4:19 AM
BANNED

^^^ Oh they could do that, but Northwestern is bent on destroying as many blocks of the city as possible in order to create a "campus". They don't want smart, efficient, or beautiful. They want sterile.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
No, Target held community meetings last summer and has been talking with Fioretti since last spring. Chicago Journal reported on every step of the process, although I think Crain's kinda skipped over it.

Amazingly, the feedback at the community meetings pressured Target to adopt a glassier, more modern design, instead of their original brick plans.

Old design:

Current (ish) design:
Hmmm. Where the Target at? Is that on Roosevelt St/Clark St? I lookup on Google Earth to search the streets.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 4:55 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Killer shot. Planning to visit tomorrow during lunch.

This is a design solution that basically answers all my posts above.

Look at the glass.
Look at the scale.
Look at the facade divisions.
I liked it, however approaching from the west on the upper level, but north of BCBS, I couldn't help but be annoyed that there is a fence between BCBS and the grocery store so that pedestrians are required to walk all the way to Randolph instead of being able to walk directly from the BCBS plaza to the grocery plaza. Very, very anti-pedestrian planning.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 7:06 PM

^^^ what? Why would they do that? That doesn't make sense at all. Is bcbs trying to keep out non-employees?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 7:41 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
^^^ what? Why would they do that? That doesn't make sense at all. Is bcbs trying to keep out non-employees?
It makes no sense. There's no fence along Columbus, so I don't think it's them trying to keep out employees. And there's a grade difference between part of it, to, which tells me the architects for the LSE portion had no awareness of their surroundings. Very sad to see.

It's fixable, and I would think it will be fixed, eventually, but I also think it should have been fixed as part of the construction and not as a followup project.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 7:51 PM
BANNED

^^^ It's probably got to do with easement concerns. BCBS probably does not want non-employee's crossing it's property from Columbus. It's a very typical concern for liability reasons and the fact that they don't want to risk allowing public right of way which could eventually be established as an easement on their property.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The local architects are very talented firms.....but the local firms include many small, talented local teams like David Woodhouse, John Ronan
I have no qualms about them. My issues are with RTKL, Gensler, SCB, Booth Hansen, Epstein, Lohan Andreson, HOK (really disappointed that urbanLAB couldn't have been on a better team), Perkins + Will... that niche

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 9:30 PM
The City

Btw, does anybody think Rahm Emanuel has so far been a breath of fresh air for Chicago?

Listening to him, I almost feel silly for thinking that Chicago needed Daley. To the contrary, I'm beginning to think Daley was dragging this place down in his last few years in office.

This is not to say that Daley didn't do great things for the city, but I think his vision was anachronistic, and it seems like the special interests overcame him in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 12:18 AM

^ And I think that's exactly why Daley decided not to run for re-election. I think he knew that he wasn't going to be able to do more good than bad by staying in office.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 2:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Btw, does anybody think Rahm Emanuel has so far been a breath of fresh air for Chicago?

Listening to him, I almost feel silly for thinking that Chicago needed Daley. To the contrary, I'm beginning to think Daley was dragging this place down in his last few years in office.

This is not to say that Daley didn't do great things for the city, but I think his vision was anachronistic, and it seems like the special interests overcame him in the end.
I think Rahm is doing an excellent job, however Daley needed to stay on until a leader like Rahm became available. That was the breath of fresh air.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
^ And I think that's exactly why Daley decided not to run for re-election. I think he knew that he wasn't going to be able to do more good than bad by staying in office.
yup

quote from Daley and his decision not to run again:

it's time for Chicago to move on

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
yup

quote from Daley and his decision not to run again:

it's time for Chicago to move on
I think it's time to retired. He have to go now. He's took too long since he work for Mayor. I think he need to go sooner. He work too hard at his office for more than 30 years.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

I think he is doing an amazing job so far. Better than I could have hoped for.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development