HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 3:04 PM

Something that doesn't get tossed around much in the conversation about the north Pearl area is that these new buildings close to the 405 are subjected to a lot of highway noise.

My wife and I toured the Abigail and even with patio doors closed, you could still hear the traffic sailing by.

Interesting that Overton 15 is taking steps to mitigate. It makes the u-store not as hard to swallow IMO when compared to subjecting more people to loud road noise.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 7:14 PM

This article contains numerous inaccuracies, so take it with a grain of salt:

Quote:
Historical heights

The lone citizen taking a stand against a proposed development “in his backyard” may be an American icon.

In the dense urban core of Portland, few lone wolves achieve their aims. They may write letters, testify at hearings, get on the news—even hire a lawyer—but the weight of public policy, zoning codes, bureaucracy and politicians aligned in favor of development prevails in the end.

Without the backing of even their own neighborhood associations, they are often brushed off by City Hall as NIMBYs not representing the will of the community.

John Hollister, who lives in a condominium next to the proposed seven-story Pearl East at Northwest 13th and Glisan streets, was given all the usual warnings about the futility of his mission. He couldn’t even get to first base with the Pearl District Neighborhood Association, which informally supported of the 96-foot-tall building before Hollister had a chance to present his concerns.

But Hollister, a former high-tech and banking professional, was undeterred, attending all the city design review hearings on the project, reading technical documents and engaging with city planners to better understand the rules.
...continues at the NW Examiner.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 1:21 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
This article contains numerous inaccuracies, so take it with a grain of salt:

...continues at the NW Examiner.
We are all dying to know what the inaccuracies in the NW Examiner article are. Please tell.

Frankly I think the proposed 1/4 block building would be a welcome development, replacing a parking lot. It may be a bit tall, but the top floor is set back from the parapet, which helps. My main complaint has been the NW Glisan elevation where I feel the retail show windows should step down to follow the downward sloping grade on Glisan. I wanted each window sill to be closer to grade.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 3:11 AM

Quote:
At a preapplication conference in 2015, the Bureau of Development Services informed the developer of a 75-foot height limit in the NW 13th Avenue Historic District.
Why would they have done that? The height limit is 175'.

Quote:
In an April 2016 Design Advice Review session, Hollister learned that the height limit would instead be 100 feet.
Again, why would that have happened? The height limit is 175'. These aren't numbers that are made up on a whim.

Quote:
The issue boils down to height. Pearl East was approved at 96 feet, just under the 100-foot limit.
To hammer this point home, the height limit is 175'.

Quote:
The five-story Wieden+Kennedy building was listed as 122 feet though it is only 58 feet according to highrises.com.
It's very unlikely that a 5 story office building, converted from a warehouse, is only 58' tall.

Quote:
The seven-story Irving Street Lofts is 89 feet tall according
The Irving Streets Lofts are also a warehouse conversion. Given that the units have ceilings ranging from 11' to14', the building is almost certainly taller than 89'.

Quote:
The bigger problem with allowing substantially greater building heights in a historic district is creating market pressures that encourage demolitions. If a one-story structure can be replaced by a tower, property owners may realize a huge gain in value.
This isn't how the process works. The demolition of a contributing resource in the 13th Avenue Historic District, or any other district in the city, requires City Council approval. The chances of getting it are slim to none.

Quote:
As for the absence of board review of a letter she wrote in support of Pearl East
She didn't draft the letter; another committee member did (though not a member of PDNA, I happened to be at the meeting where the committee discussed Pearl East). And in general the article's insinuations about Patricia Gardner are slimy in the extreme.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Jun 6, 2017 at 3:22 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Why would they have done that? The height limit is 175'.

Again, why would that have happened? The height limit is 175'. These aren't numbers that are made up on a whim.

To hammer this point home, the height limit is 175'.

It's very unlikely that a 5 story office building, converted from a warehouse, is only 58' tall.

The Irving Streets Lofts are also a warehouse conversion. Given that the units have ceilings ranging from 11' to14', the building is almost certainly taller than 89'.

This isn't how the process works. The demolition of a contributing resource in the 13th Avenue Historic District, or any other district in the city, requires City Council approval. The chances of getting it are slim to none.

She didn't draft the letter; another committee member did (though not a member of PDNA, I happened to be at the meeting where the committee discussed Pearl East). And in general the article's insinuations about Patricia Gardner are slimy in the extreme.
all this, plus: what about getting ALL sides of the story? where's the input from BDS on this issue? what about the developer? understanding that the Examiner is not exactly The Gray Lady, some sense of balance needs to occur or they're just a local version of Breitbart.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
all this, plus: what about getting ALL sides of the story? where's the input from BDS on this issue? what about the developer? understanding that the Examiner is not exactly The Gray Lady, some sense of balance needs to occur or they're just a local version of Breitbart.
LOL, are you unfamiliar with the NW Examiner? They invariably publish only the “other” side of the story. I’ve never seen them publish comments favoring change relating to anything even remotely “historic”

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Pearl East has indeed been appealed.
Quote:
Notice of Appeal for Pearl East
Unanimous vote by City Council to deny the appeal and uphold decision of Landmarks Commission.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Unanimous vote by City Council to deny the appeal and uphold decision of Landmarks Commission.
Lol

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 1:50 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Good news!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 8:00 PM

Notice of a Public Hearing for NW 13th & Johnson.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 7:46 PM

Drawings [35MB] for NW 13th & Johnson and letter from PDNA.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 6:40 AM

Hampton Inn

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Staff Report, which recommends approval.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 7:02 PM

Final Findings of the City Council on Pearl East.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Final Findings of the City Council on Pearl East.

Their dismantling of the appeal was brutal.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 8:44 PM
Semi-Lurker

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Staff Report, which recommends approval.
Approved by Design Commission today.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 7:36 PM

Quote:
David Machado’s Tanner Creek Tavern Sets a September 12 Opening Date

As Eater reported earlier this week, next month restaurateur David Machado will open Tanner Creek Tavern at 875 NW Everett in the Pearl District, making it his fourth operational restaurant and his sixth over all. He owns Nel Centro downtown and Altabira and Citizen Baker in the Lloyd District. Prior to that he owned and operated Vindahlo and Lauro Kitchen.

Machado has deputized Trevor Payne to run the burners as his executive chef. Prior to teaming up with Machado, Payne has put in time at Clyde Common, Olympia Provisions, Little Bird Bistro and Taylor Railworks.

"I'm very bullish on the Pearl," Machado days. "After several starts and stops, it's ripe for its next inception as a fully-realized neighborhood for locals and tourists alike."
...continues at the Portland Mercury.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 3:46 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I work with the project architect for the Pearl East project, its been real fun listening to him vent about it.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 12:22 AM

Latest drawings [6 MB] for the U Store

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland