HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 10:49 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikes
You have some serious ego problems, besides you are wrong in many things that you wrote.

- PR update comes every 3-4 month, noone knows the exact dates except for the insiders at Google
- Googlebot doesnt give a damn about meta tags, except for description

Ecetera.

Feel free to make a GOOD content site, if your only aim is to get on top of "my" site in google, that is pretty sad. You have interestingly changed your attitude, since we gave you permission for the photos.
What is your site Bikes?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 11:07 PM
Baltimore

Sky Tower. Awesome site.

It is good to take advise and listen to everyone, but still do the site the way you envisioned it.

For instance it was pointed out that the site is called "Dubaimegaprojects , but that does not mean that you can't put small things...
I liked the idea of info on the mall, afterall it is the biggest one in the world.

Obviously like you are already doing, you should start with info on all the big things.... but I don't mind hearing about smaller parts of the big projects since they are still a part of those projects. This could be the best Dubai site out there at the end.

Even though it says 'mega'projects...... it is and could be a dubai projects MEGA site!!! meaning it is just a kicks ass has everything you could want site about the Dubai projects.

Anyways, I give you props, the site is looking great so far and I can't wait to see more!!!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 2:11 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Thank you very much, it's proving more difficult than I originally thought it would as there are so many different ideas.

It can't be all things to all people, but I'm trying to strike a good balance and also make it idiotproof to use.

I'm trying to chill this weekend as I've kinda burned myself out with too many late nights lately. I've had to stay away from the PC for a few days as my eyes are getting squarer and I've run out of matchsticks to keep them open.

With 120 hour plus working weeks and 28 hours or less sleep per week and every other waking moment on here is taking its toll a bit!
As the saying goes, 'All work and no play makes Sky Tower a dull boy!'

Refreshed, I'll be back on the case Monday with a big chunk of updates.

Coming next week, Dubailand, The Palms, Jumierah Lakes Towers and Dubai Marina!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 2:41 AM
`

^ Take a break. Thats why I think you need to stick to only the mega stuff. That'll keep you busy enough. That's what will be nice about your site. A quick update of all the big projects with no fancy crap that takes foever to load or pages of worbage and politics that pollute both forums.

Make it to where a person, let's say at work, notices a background on your monitor and says "What is that?". I have had several people say that to me when I have the Palm J on my desktop. The only problem is a nice website to show them (quickly and easily) the main stuff to spark their interest.

Yours would be perfect. A quick click and boom, nice quality shots of the major players in action.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 3:19 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 12:10 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Website statistics are now available on the homepage under the hitcounter for those people who are anally retentive enough to want to know how I can track specific users browser history!

It sounds quite intrusive but most good sites have some of this capability to enable optimization for further work for the target audience.

It's only the information I want you all to know....the other 'really' good stuff is for my eyes only.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 6:47 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Mega problems this evening after I viewed the site with IE7.

Whilst building the site I've been viewing with Firefox (my default browser) which looked great. After checking with IE7 I've found that the most popular browser viewed the CCS (cascading style sheet) completely differently to firefox.

Unfortunately, because it's read so differently by both browsers I've had to design a happy medium setup that doesn't look too bad with either browser; but on certain pages the gaps and spaces between pictures and text can look a little too wide or spaced too far apart.

Unfortunately, giving text and pictures an absolute position means that different sized monitors would have non corresponding allignment problems with transitional text.

It's won't be too noticeable to many people but I know it's there and using IE7 will highlight more CSS allignment problems as the site is more biased towards Firefox.

By popular request, the Burj Dubai information page has now been split into 5 seperate pages.

Burj Dubai Main Page, (within it containing) Burj Tower, Lake Hotel, The Mall and the Village.

Palms tomorrow!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 5:26 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Palms (Jumeirah and Jebel Ali) mostly done now. Palm Deira and the World Islands to follow tomorrow.

More viewing problems, now with un-updated IE6 on Palm J.A. pages for some reason.

If anyone experiences any strange page views, missaligment issues or overlays, please check your browsers update status (Microsoft Update Etc) for any downloadable fixes before shouting at me.......(different browsers currently have different ways of reading next generation CSS files)

Also, site is optomised (photo wise) for screen sizes 15 inches and above, although it's best catered for on a 17 or 19 inch screen. (I've tested most screen resolutions including 22 inch widescreen monitor and 50 inch hi def plasma and it's all okay......so far)

A big thank you to Slugbelch, who's picture source's from the Palms thread in the UAE section, comprises 80% of the Palms content on the site.

Oh, that reminds me, website contributors section on the site is also up and running.

Last edited by Sky Tower; Nov 23, 2006 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 5:54 AM
Baltimore

Ocean Heights 2 which according to emporis will be the 3rd tallest building in Dubai after being built right now is under construction. (so 2nd tallest being constructed) Do you guys have any construction pics of it? It will be interesting to follow this building too.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 6:09 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 11:10 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

So will you also have links to the various projects on the palm? Trump tower is one you really have to add btw

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 6:11 PM
Guess Who's Back?

Oh yes, got to have the Trump Tower too, and a few other big ones!
Next few days will see them up and running

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 7:06 PM

Make the site more biased twords firefox. Its just a better browser and i think most people who are internet junkies like ourselves use it anyways.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 7:23 PM
Guess Who's Back?

True, but I have to cater for everyone...(although it does look better with Firefox)

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 2:15 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

I really like the palm deira page btw, nice, not too large not too small and not cluttered.

I see you're doing dubailand next. Maybe try to group all the projects within together so that when you move the mouse over the dubailand link another list will pop up with the sub-projects, like the start menu in windows.

Aswell, that's the old masterplan you're using for the burj dubai complex

Last edited by malec; Nov 25, 2006 at 2:22 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 1:13 PM
Guess Who's Back?

Thanks Malec, do you have a good map of Dubailand with the areas highlighted?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower
Thanks. There's a forumer called flickr who posts some good stuff on SSC too, always something different.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 4:23 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Yeah, I laughed too when I realised I was thinking of someone else! Doh!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 4:27 AM
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

http://flickr.com/

A good site for pics -search burj dubai - most recent list has the new pics.
also
skytower - nice site dude

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 4:45 PM
Guess Who's Back?

Thanks Fury.

I've been neglecting Flickr lately as Slugbelch always sources some great pics from there and posts them on many threads on SSP.

There are many great pics there though; and I will certainatley go through
them again soon as I've been inundated workwise lately and haven't had much chance this week to add new site content.

I will be updating some new links this evening though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa