HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 3:06 AM

Vancouver wins 'ultimate sports city' award

Vancouver wins 'ultimate sports city' award

VANCOUVER -- A prestigious sports industry magazine has named Vancouver the top-ranked city in the Americas and the fifth in the world among "Ultimate Sports Cities," the B.C. government announced today.

In 2006, the magazine ranked Vancouver at number 11 in the world.

Sport Business International selected cities based on several criteria, including; the numbers of high-level sporting events previously hosted or set to be hosted; government support; weather; facilities; transportation, accommodations and quality of life.

The province's quality of life and 2010 legacy plans were noted as key reasons for British Columbia's high ranking. As well, 50 sports industry individuals were surveyed to gather opinions about which cities excel at hosting major sporting events.

"I was delighted -- but not surprised -- to learn that Vancouver has received this kind of international recognition," said B.C. Tourism, Sport and the Arts Minister Stan Hagen. "While Vancouver has been singled out, we recognize the work that the entire province puts

forward in sport hosting.

"British Columbia has become world-renowned as a premiere destination for major sporting events such as the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, the 2009 World Police and Fire Games, the 2008 North American Indigenous Games and the 2008 Ford World Women's Curling Championship, to name just a few."

Vancouver Mayor Sam Sullivan said volunteers and staff at local community organizations deserve a lot of credit for this achievement.

The top five ranked cities on the "Ultimate Sports City" list were Melbourne, Berlin, Sydney, London and Vancouver

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...3ddbaa&k=64748

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 3:23 AM
A.H.-Ha!

Vancouver wins 'ultimate bandwagon city' award

VANCOUVER - Vancouver has overtaken Toronto as the winner in the annual 'Ultimate Bandwagon City' survey, according to Vancouver Mayor Sam Sullivan.

Reactions by loyal Canucks fans after the team's fifth loss in the last six games is a good testament to the claim.

A victory parade along Robson Street following the team's 6-2 win over Calgary quickly turned into a mass protest after last night's 4-2 loss by the Colorado Avalanche.

"Give (Canucks GM Dave) Nonis the pink slip!" said Bobby, 12.

"Wii S|-|0UL|>A DrAf7|> |<0Pi7@RZ!!!!@@@####" yelled Billy, 7.

"Fire A(lain) V(igneault)! (Markus) Naslund sucks. The Sisters suck. (Referring to the Sedin Twins) Everyone on the team sucks!" Breanne, 13, told the mostly pre-teen crowd attending the protests, donning a white "CLOOTZ IZ HAWTZ" tank-top.

More details to follow.

Last edited by Kwik-E-Mart; Jan 27, 2009 at 1:02 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik-E-Mart View Post

VANCOUVER - Vancouver has overtaken Toronto as the winner in the annual 'Ultimate Bandwagon City' survey, according to Vancouver Mayor Sam Sullivan.

Reactions by loyal Canucks fans after the team's fifth loss in the last six games is a good testament to the claim.

A victory parade along Robson Street following the team's 6-2 win over Calgary quickly turned into a mass protest after last night's 4-2 loss by the Colorado Avalanche.

"Fire A(lain) V(igneault)! (Markus) Naslund sucks. The Sisters suck. (Referring to the Sedin Twins) Everyone on the team sucks!" Breanne, 13, told the mostly pre-teen crowd attending the protests, donning a white "Cloutier is Hawt" tank-top.

More details to follow.
Too funny...or too sad, depending on how you look at it....but most importantly, true.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik-E-Mart View Post

"Fire A(lain) V(igneault)! (Markus) Naslund sucks. The Sisters suck. (Referring to the Sedin Twins) Everyone on the team sucks!" Breanne, 13, told the mostly pre-teen crowd attending the protests, donning a white "Cloutier is Hawt" tank-top.

More details to follow.

Haha. That is exaclty the reason why I have stopped going to CDC as much as I used to.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 5:50 AM

Too bad anything relating to sports and the general population is expensive and not very enticing to get into.
Last time I wanted to do anything sports related (skiing), it cost me an arm and a leg for a season pass.
So as a last resort, I went snow shoeing...and they wanted me to buy a ticket to walk around as well!
I guess the only thing I can do without spending money is ride a bike around the seawall or go jogging. I couldn't care less for major sporting events (not that I am against it), but this type of focus instead of the local population leads to higher obesity rates and general health problems.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation