HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
It's not just bridges he's burning. He seems to have it in for commenters who suggest that his nasty tone is unwarranted. In fact, half of the comments on his entry are his own. I'm not sure what the rules of good journalism would say about commenting repeatedly on a story that you yourself wrote.
He's commenting more now as a result of feedback that he didn't respond enough to other people's points.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 11:21 PM
Awesome!

Eh serious? (the image)

No wonder this thread is still alive.

http://bulldogottawa.com/welcome-aboard-kate/
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Eh serious? (the image)

No wonder this thread is still alive.

http://bulldogottawa.com/welcome-aboard-kate/
Katherine Hobbs is in a no win situation..if she ignores him and his pronouncements/rants then she is ignoring her constituants. If she follows him and has photos of herself in a social media setting then he heaps scorn on her..

The obsession he has with her is unseemly and rather unsettling. I'm sure she doesn't lose sleep on anything that he puts in his op-eds on the Bulldog.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 9:48 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Katherine Hobbs is in a no win situation..if she ignores him and his pronouncements/rants then she is ignoring her constituants. If she follows him and has photos of herself in a social media setting then he heaps scorn on her..

The obsession he has with her is unseemly and rather unsettling. I'm sure she doesn't lose sleep on anything that he puts in his op-eds on the Bulldog.
I really wonder sometimes if Ken Gray once had a crush on KH when she was younger, and she didn't return the affection.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 11:45 PM
Awesome!

Best bet would be just to ignore him anyways. Likely the majority are not agreeing with him anyways and don't want stagnation.

I'm just tried of hearing reading about how Carling would be the best option while the vast majority thinks the total opposite. Simply put Carling is The longest route, the costliest route, the one with the narrowest path , the option that will require the modification of the most roadways/intersections, the one with the most stops along the route, and the one that will create the most disruptions to businesses/institutions (i.e Carlingwood, Canadian Tire, Corel Building, Westgate, Civic and Royal Hospital) and motorists including the 417 itself and major intersections like Holland/Fisher, Island Park, Merivale, Maitland, Woodroffe and the JMP (and probably in a lesser degree Preston/Prince of Wales). The list of cons against the Carling option is astounding. Not sure about that study mentionned saying it would take 17 minutes to reach downtown via the Carling option (I guess it would if it would tunnelled all the way and even then)
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Best bet would be just to ignore him anyways. Likely the majority are not agreeing with him anyways and don't want stagnation.

I'm just tried of hearing reading about how Carling would be the best option while the vast majority thinks the total opposite. Simply put Carling is The longest route, the costliest route, the one with the narrowest path , the option that will require the modification of the most roadways/intersections, the one with the most stops along the route, and the one that will create the most disruptions to businesses/institutions (i.e Carlingwood, Canadian Tire, Corel Building, Westgate, Civic and Royal Hospital) and motorists including the 417 itself and major intersections like Holland/Fisher, Island Park, Merivale, Maitland, Woodroffe and the JMP (and probably in a lesser degree Preston/Prince of Wales). The list of cons against the Carling option is astounding. Not sure about that study mentionned saying it would take 17 minutes to reach downtown via the Carling option (I guess it would if it would tunnelled all the way and even then)
In all fairness, Carling proponents would argue that LRT on Carling would serve the businesses and institutions you mention, moreso than disrupt them. And there is some value in having transit going to places like Carlingwood and the Hospitals.

That being said I think that many of them reject the assertions that it is longer, costlier (especially costlier if you listen to Ken Grey's CFRA interview from earlier in the week) and would be slower. And if you try to discuss relative costs and merits of various routes with them I suspect they will shoot down the conversation.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 3:35 AM
Awesome!

I wasn't sure where to post, but I think this might be the spot. But we all know about Westboro regarding the Western extension, now seems they don't want squirrels to the point they have them cross into Gatineau which apparently is illegal

Sorry the article is in French.

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/reg...21-142050.html

Last edited by Cre47; Jun 22, 2013 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I wasn't sure where to post, but I think this might be the spot. But we all know about Westboro regarding the Western extension, now seems they don't want squirrels to the point they have them cross into Gatineau which apparently is illegal

Sorry the article is in French.

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/reg...21-142050.html
I don't know why Westboro takes the fall for this. I know people in Manor Park who have been doing it for years.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 11:36 PM
Awesome!

I guess their history might be a reason, but it's just ridiculous, what will be next, moving birds into Gatineau or far away from the city?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 2:03 AM
National Capital Region

My mother did that with groundhogs many many years ago. I think we transported one particularly annoying squirrel only for it to show up again a few weeks later; never had that problem with the transported groundhogs though.

If you look at it from our perspective, there hasn't historically been a lot of human habitation on the Quebec side just west of the Champlain Bridge, so it's a particularly attractive place to deposit such creatures. And the thing is, people in the area strongly suspect that other people in Ottawa are depositing (or used to deposit) such creatures along the Parkway, particularly in the area between Westboro Beach and the Champlain Bridge - only to have them move into the neighbourhood. So sending them to Quebec in an area where no one really lived for miles around seems like a permanent humane solution that doesn't affect anyone further.

The various powers-that-be are also distinctly unhelpful as to what to do with nuisance "wildlife", so it's not surprising that people try to come up with their own solutions, including surreptitious moving. Others have gassed squirrels, or drowned them. I've definitely heard of people who plugged a groundhog hole and then flooded the burrow. One neighbour I know of even employed the expedient of directing the flow from a downspout into a burrow ahead of a rainstorm.

Anyway, these articles are a bit late. There's a lot less of this going on now than there used to be. Heck, with all the semi-McMansions popping up around here that clear cut the trees and take away most of the soil, there soon won't be any habitat left for groundhogs, rabbits and squirrels. Just raccoons.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 3:38 PM

Looks like our old pal Ken is riding on ads from his favourite businesses...
...I wonder how Minto and Claridge feel about this?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post

Strip the character of neighborhoods? Upper West will be built right outside Westboro Village, in a parking lot behind existing mid-rise buildings, on the parkway, next to a shitty TV studio . Of all the condos over the past 10 years, it's the one with the least "negative" impact to its surroundings. Oh, and its walking distance from a Transitway station that currently has an extremely low ridership.

As for Icon, and every other condo proposal in Little Italy, they're replacing parking lots and run down shacks. They will bring thousands of people to what I believe is an under-appreciated area near jobs and rapid transit.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 4:43 PM

Quote:

Those are adsense ads right? If they are, the autors don't have control over which ads are displayed...Google does.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 4:43 PM

Quote:

These are likely ads by Google and related to your history rather than a diabolical plan to promote certain developers.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
These are likely ads by Google and related to your history rather than a diabolical plan to promote certain developers.
yeah guys, I know they're adsense, but you can set parameters, right? Still them paying Mr. Gray via Google. Good fun is all.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 5:27 PM

Quote:
yeah guys, I know they're adsense, but you can set parameters, right? Still them paying Mr. Gray via Google. Good fun is all.
Agreed, it's a fun observation...Satirical.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
It is all part of Katherine Hobbs diabolical plan to turn the beloved 'old west end' back to its bucolic paradise....

I find it quite funny that those ads pop up on a website so dedicated to retaining the old status quo.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 4:34 PM

*deleted*

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Sep 28, 2014 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 11:37 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
All bluster with no hard facts. He hints that he has incriminating info on people but so far there has been no 'gotcha' moment or smoking gun. Let him pontificate about how the Sun News Network will never have the cache of The Bulldog and how all the media is conservative in nature.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues