HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 6:33 PM

greatest elevation change in Edmonton

I am curious to know where the greatest elevation change lies in Edmonton, not the highest and lowest points in different areas, but an actual drop from an embankment into a ravine or valley. I think there must be somewhere where the drop is greater than from the McDonald Hotel down the stairs to the river. For example, I recall from years ago a steep drop into a ravine in the Saddleback Road area of south Edmonton. Any thoughts on where the greatest drop lies and how many feet down it is? Many thanks.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 6:39 PM
Change is good

There's quite a few cliffs along the river valley, especially the further west you get that literally go from river valley top to river... check the north bank just west of the Quesnel bridge

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 6:46 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
There's quite a few cliffs along the river valley, especially the further west you get that literally go from river valley top to river... check the north bank just west of the Quesnel bridge
Yep, the cliffs of Patricia Heights are pretty much vertical into the river.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 7:22 PM

Southwest of the Quennel it basically ranges from "straight down" to "nearly straight down."

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 11:20 PM

Smile yeah, but how many feet?

I was hoping someone would have done some surveying and could say the biggest drop is 150 feet or 200 feet, or that someone could direct me to an online elevation map for Edmonton. This isn't scientific at all, but the banks on the south side of the river appear to be higher than some of the 20-storey towers that stand above them, so maybe 200 feet?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 12:20 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave D. View Post
I was hoping someone would have done some surveying and could say the biggest drop is 150 feet or 200 feet, or that someone could direct me to an online elevation map for Edmonton. This isn't scientific at all, but the banks on the south side of the river appear to be higher than some of the 20-storey towers that stand above them, so maybe 200 feet?
If you have access to GIS software, you should be able to find a free DEM covering the area, though the resolution won't be very good. Alternatively, check out Toporama with access to NTS maps, though once again, the detail wouldn't be great.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 12:41 AM

Check the Digital Elevation data at http://geobase.ca/geobase/en/data/cded/index.html

It may be of use

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 10:15 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave D. View Post
The average west of downtown is ~175 feet with some spots near the Quensel just north of 200'. The banks are a bit shallower east ranging from 50' to 100'.

Magellan GPS and me with some time in 2002.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton