HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
today's GIC agenda at city hall had an in-camera item pertaining to 'expansion or development possibilities' at the airport.

The item on the agenda said it was being kept private due to either a sale or disposition of lands.

Following up on this....council members stated this week that an announcement of airport expansion should be forthcoming.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
Following up on this....council members stated this week that an announcement of airport expansion should be forthcoming.
Any link to a story on this? I'm interested in hearing more about it.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 7:56 PM
Species: Homo Hamiltonus

Lengthening runway 06/24 to about 9,000' has been a long term plan. Wonder if this is going to be part of the announcement, I believe they've been working to assemble the land needed for it.

New taxiways have been in plans too.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 10:55 PM

Here are my expectations...

Airport Ops Expectations:
- Taxiway(s) (1)

Terminal Expectations
- Small parking lot expansion (2)
- Small Terminal Expansion (3)

(1) Taxiways are needed at least on 12/30 (East end, 30). This would help get planes out faster. When planes land, they gotta wait before they exit on the runway before the departing plan can go do the turnaround for takeoff, all in all, it does consume time and slows down ops a bit.

(2) I've been noticing that the parking lot at YHM is PACKED now with all the new flights, just a few short years ago it was maybe only 30% filled. I wouldn't be surprised if they did expand the lot by a bit.

(3) The passenger terminal is more than likely going to get an upgrade and expansion just a matter of how they will do it. I am NOT expecting jet-bridges to be added, however, I could possibly see an expansion to the East end of the existing terminal and with this, they would add a second level in that new spot for offices, in which would open up the current office space and turn that location into additional desks for check-in. *I am no expert*

Aside from the structure itself, we will likely see the following happen:
- New food vendor(s),
- 1 or 2 new gates,
- Additional check-in desks,
- Modernization of the terminal,
- Updated fixtures (if you have seen the pre-lounge area lately, it reeks)
- An additional baggage belt in the international arrivals area.
- Expanded/Updated Domestic arrivals area (additional seating, new screens)

I am not expecting too much to happen but at least we will see an expansion.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 1:34 AM
It's Hammer Time

The departure lounge needs new furniture, a lot of the chairs have stain marks.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
The departure lounge needs new furniture, a lot of the chairs have stain marks.
I'm at the airport every Thursday and that departure lounge is definitely not big enough and yah, your right, the furniture needs some updating.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 1:47 AM

Here is the Winter flight times. I wanted to include Norwegian even tho they don't start until the last day of March

Highlights:
- Wednesday's will be the busiest day of each week (14)
- Monday's will be the least busy (11)
- Monday thru Friday will have consistent 9 Domestic flights daily.
- There will be at least 1 daily flight to a "sun destination"
- Swoop will operate 46 weekly flights (UP from 33*)
- Air Canada will operate 19 weekly flights (UP from 13)
- Westjet will operate 7 weekly flights (DOWN from 18)

*Swoop's June-MidAug Schedule

All flights with black lettering are Domestic, white is International.

YHM Winter (Jan-Apr) by freerealms454, on Flickr

YHM Winter Flights by freerealms454, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:52 AM

Very nice!

One minor change. WestJet from Calgary is no longer a red eye. It arrives in Hamilton at 00:08 and over nights in Hamilton.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 2:09 PM

Hamilton Airport Tweet: "Our terminal @flyyhm is getting a makeover, stay tuned #HamOnt"

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:05 PM

Was at the airport yesterday and captured a couple pictures.
Looks like they are focused on making the airport brighter and more welcoming by removing the dark blue/grey walls and bringing in a more welcoming blue colour scheme. Also looks like they will update the baggage claim screens as they are relatively small and quite dated.

Reno Sign by freerealms454, on Flickr

Arrivals Wall by freerealms454, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 3:08 PM

Airport "Makeover" Update
- The terminal is much brighter and welcoming with the blue walls.
- Couches in the Pre-Departure lounge have been restored.
- Centre Road restoration progressing well.

82A60115-FDC2-4B04-8F51-44F32CB7CD4D by freerealms454, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 5:20 PM

They are also resurfacing runway 06/24. It had been damaged by large aircraft recently.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 11:17 AM

A sign of the airport's growth --- Google searches for the airport are up quite sharply over the past three years:
http://trends.google.com/trends/expl...=%2Fm%2F05lm9c

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 2:37 PM

Have there been any YTD passenger numbers released for 2018? Hopefully Hamilton can continue the increase seen in 2017.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Have there been any YTD passenger numbers released for 2018? Hopefully Hamilton can continue the increase seen in 2017.
Last year was 599K with consistent 5-6 flights daily

This year it’s projected to be around 750K or so but I think we will come close to 900K or a million.

Last Year WestJet had increased frequency to compete with Flair until Swoop was ready, once Swoop was launched, frequencies on what would be WestJet routes have Increased on Swoop.

During the fall we are seeing around 6-8 departures daily. In the December it hikes to around 10-11 daily departures.

Flighs to/from Hamilton have been selling well. Summer flights were near full throughout the board. Thanksgiving and Christmas will provide an additional boost to passenger numbers.

Sunday mornings at the airport during the winter will be a challenge. There will be 7 aircraft on the ground at the same time (see the schedule I posted). We are no doubt going to be seeing some kind of terminal improvement occurring in the next couple months to help deal with the influx of passengers and aircraft. I am anticipating we will see an additional vendor or two enter the airport this winter as well.

I anticipated check in desks to be a challenge but It won’t be... for the most part. There will only be 5 carriers this winter (Swoop, AC, WestJet, Transat and Sunwing).

Rumours are circulating that there will be upgrades to the departure boards so they are easier to understand during rush periods (aka the mornings)

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Last year was 599K with consistent 5-6 flights daily

This year it’s projected to be around 750K or so but I think we will come close to 900K or a million.

Last Year WestJet had increased frequency to compete with Flair until Swoop was ready, once Swoop was launched, frequencies on what would be WestJet routes have Increased on Swoop.

During the fall we are seeing around 6-8 departures daily. In the December it hikes to around 10-11 daily departures.

Flighs to/from Hamilton have been selling well. Summer flights were near full throughout the board. Thanksgiving and Christmas will provide an additional boost to passenger numbers.

Sunday mornings at the airport during the winter will be a challenge. There will be 7 aircraft on the ground at the same time (see the schedule I posted). We are no doubt going to be seeing some kind of terminal improvement occurring in the next couple months to help deal with the influx of passengers and aircraft. I am anticipating we will see an additional vendor or two enter the airport this winter as well.

I anticipated check in desks to be a challenge but It won’t be... for the most part. There will only be 5 carriers this winter (Swoop, AC, WestJet, Transat and Sunwing).

Rumours are circulating that there will be upgrades to the departure boards so they are easier to understand during rush periods (aka the mornings)
The aircraft (on paper) can handle 2 million passengers. Not sure how realistic that truly is. But would be nice to see over time some sort of expansion, but same time it needs to be done on the cheap. The reason for growth is low fares, Swoop does not want to pay a lot for landing, or gate fees. Wonder if they can do what Toronto did with there us departures - ugly temp structure for a lot of the US carriers at terminal 1.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:00 PM

Swoop is offering 5 more weekly departures this winter.
CANCUN (3x Weekly)
PUERTO VALARATA (2x Weekly)

Flights begin in January.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 4:14 PM

With the additional capacity, the airport is going to struggle with the international arrival zone if they don't expand quick.

Sunday AM is going to be an issue.

From 12:01am - 1:01am, there will be 5 flights arriving (4 of which are international)

With the small international arrival zone and only 1 baggage claim there, it clearly won't work.

Also during the Sunday AM rush, there will be 8 aircraft on the tarmac at once so clearly those red-eye arrivals will be doing some waiting as ramps will be filled to the max.

Something will need to be done soon to accommodate all of these passengers.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 5:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

Oh wow, Puerto Vallarta? Looks like I already have a vacation plan for next year. Nice to finally see the Pacific side of Mexico, I usually go to Cancun/Cozumel each year.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure