HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 18, 2010, 4:27 AM

I'd put Austin in the NL central with the Astros...and move Milwaukee back into the AL Central

Old Posted Apr 18, 2010, 5:22 AM

Ease up guys!!!.This is not going to happen...

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 4:44 AM
Meh

http://kxan.com/2015/04/15/study-aus...l-or-mls-team/
Quote:
Study: Austin could support NFL, NBA, NHL or MLS team

By KXAN News
Published: April 15, 2015, 9:57 pm Updated: April 15, 2015, 10:54 pm

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A new study shows Austin could support a number of professional sports. According to the American City Business Journals, there is enough money to back an NFL, NBA, NHL or MLS team.

The study found Austin has a total personal income of $84 billion and $58 billion of that is available as potential disposable income to go toward a pro sports team.

The City of Austin has already expressed interest in bringing a Major League Soccer team to town. The Austin Aztex recently moved up to the pro division of the United Soccer League with an eye on being part of an expansion plan to the MLS.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 1:44 PM
World Traveler

Bring it on!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 5:53 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

NFL, NBA are probably no goes. the NBA wouldn't put a team up the road from the Spurs and drain the the large Austin fan base, the NFL would jump on SA first considering the already in place infrastructure and rabid fan base (but the NFL is not big on SA, so I'm sure they wouldn't be big on Austin either). MLS is a maybe... BUT SA is essentially on the fast track for that so not sure how the MLS would view that. NHL. Sure, why not. Hah

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 6:20 PM
Honored Member

I'm pretty sure that if MLS came to both Austin and San Antonio, it would be synergistic by driving up regional interest and creating an instant rivalry. I think the net involvement in MLS would be greater than the sum of what each city would generate in the absence of the other.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 6:35 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Good points, good points.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 7:22 PM
Honored Member

Thanks. Just bear in mind that I was totally talking out my ass. I have NO CLUE what sort of interest would be generated by MLS around here, but we're all free to speculate!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 7:26 PM

It's unlikely Austin gets an NHL franchise before Houston.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 7:26 PM

Football and spring practice; end of story.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Thanks. Just bear in mind that I was totally talking out my ass. I have NO CLUE what sort of interest would be generated by MLS around here, but we're all free to speculate!
they could at least count on me to stand in line for season tix

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 10:01 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
NFL, NBA are probably no goes. the NBA wouldn't put a team up the road from the Spurs and drain the the large Austin fan base, the NFL would jump on SA first considering the already in place infrastructure and rabid fan base (but the NFL is not big on SA, so I'm sure they wouldn't be big on Austin either). MLS is a maybe... BUT SA is essentially on the fast track for that so not sure how the MLS would view that. NHL. Sure, why not. Hah

I would tend to agree with you but something tells me any NFL team would be pretty interested in Austin and this report shows the reason why.

Just look at some of the reported comments by the owner of the Raiders when there was talk of them moving. He had stated he would want a future stadium closer to Austin if they were to move to SA. The reason is because of our spending power. These guys aren't dumb, they know where the money is and what region would bring in the big bucks. If and I mean IF an NFL team comes, they will need to tap both metros and Austin would be a vital part of the equation.

As far as MLS is concerned there wouldn't be an issue with Austin landing a team as well.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 1:31 AM
World Traveler

In general, soccer fanbases aren't as large, so to have two nucleuses of fans in central Texas (especially with the rate of growth and a significant hispanic population) wouldn't be a terrible idea. They'd just have to do it well, of course, as well as create that rivalry from the get-go. I do think San Antonio is on the fast-track for MLS and Austin is a bit behind, but it would be cool.

Regarding NFL, I think San Antonio would get it first, but who knows? NBA would be a stretch. NHL is a possibility with the success of the Stars in Cedar Park. I do think Houston, being a larger metro area, might get NHL first, but again...who knows? We'll see. I for one would like to see pro sports in Austin as long as they don't build mega stadiums on the other end of the earth from downtown...like it Elgin or something, haha.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I would tend to agree with you but something tells me any NFL team would be pretty interested in Austin and this report shows the reason why.

Just look at some of the reported comments by the owner of the Raiders when there was talk of them moving. He had stated he would want a future stadium closer to Austin if they were to move to SA. The reason is because of our spending power. These guys aren't dumb, they know where the money is and what region would bring in the big bucks. If and I mean IF an NFL team comes, they will need to tap both metros and Austin would be a vital part of the equation.

As far as MLS is concerned there wouldn't be an issue with Austin landing a team as well.
Would it be the San Braunfels or New Marcos Raiders?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 5:36 PM

There is no NFL team in LA... yet and Central Texas/SA will not get one before LA. Plus, Jerry Jones and Bob McNair would probably fight pretty hard to prevent it from happening. UT would be a big force against this too.

Spurs won't let the NBA happen and where would the team come from? The NBA isn't expanding anytime soon.

NHL will go to numerous other markets before Austin

MLS is the only one that really makes sense. Build a nice stadium and they will come. MLS is adding two expansions teams and Miami is expected to get one with the help of David Beckham.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphogan View Post
There is no NFL team in LA... yet and Central Texas/SA will not get one before LA. Plus, Jerry Jones and Bob McNair would probably fight pretty hard to prevent it from happening. UT would be a big force against this too.

Spurs won't let the NBA happen and where would the team come from? The NBA isn't expanding anytime soon.

NHL will go to numerous other markets before Austin

MLS is the only one that really makes sense. Build a nice stadium and they will come. MLS is adding two expansions teams and Miami is expected to get one with the help of David Beckham.
LA appears to have a good chance of getting two teams within the next two to three years.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 1:02 PM

It's official. Austin gets a bowl game that will be played at DKR.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...bowl-game.html

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 10:15 PM

Apparently the bowl game is far from a done deal even though the NCAA certified it. The folks trying to get this done remind me of developers who announce a big project, but have no financing or experience and don't even own the land.

http://collegesports.blog.statesman....-game-in-2015/

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 2:54 AM

Too many bowl games, even if my alma Tx State made it next year.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 8:10 PM

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-s...-mls-expansion

Austin is discussed in this article, both on its own as a potential MLS expansion city and in its proximity to San Antonio (itself a candidate). If the league came down to choosing where to put a team between the two cities, I suspect it would jump at a downtown stadium at the AAS site as opposed to somewhere off I-35 north of San Antonio.

Would a stadium be the best use of prime waterfront real estate? Possibly not, but as I've said before I'd still be first in line for tickets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin