HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Johnson Controls World Headquarters in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Milwaukee Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:52 PM

Awesome. It's amazing that the US Bank building could go from being the only standout building in a relatively short skyline for 4 decades to being lost in the thicket in a matter of a few short years...

Also, can't wait to see the design, Milwaukee seems to have a propensity for above average, if understated, modern design.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Awesome. It's amazing that the US Bank building could go from being the only standout building in a relatively short skyline for 4 decades to being lost in the thicket in a matter of a few short years...

Also, can't wait to see the design, Milwaukee seems to have a propensity for above average, if understated, modern design.
I've been pleased with all the proposed skyscraper designs for Milwaukee thus far--no cheap historicist nonsense. I hope this proposal builds on the white/cream-colored trend; a unifying color would give Milwaukee a very unique skyline.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:53 PM

I'd like to see an all glass skyscraper with white glass spandrel panels kinda like Sofitel Chicago. That would be really sharp on a 700' building.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 2:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

According to some members over at SSC, the successful resolution of The Couture court case means that we might now also see some forward progress on this project.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 2:34 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^I really hope so - this proposal, coupled with the Couture and not to mention the NWM tower would be amazing to see, possibly all three under construction to a varying degree, at the same time. Wowzers.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 3:33 PM

I was just up in Minneapolis over the weekend, which is also booming hard, but had a great hotel room view of downtown. I was thinking that between this building, Couture, and NWML Milwaukee's skyline could quickly jump up to something more akin to Minneapolis' in a relatively short time. I'm just hoping this building is 800', maybe a bit more.

Exciting times for this part of the Midwest, it seems that every city core I've seen in the last couple of months is bristling with cranes right now. Milwaukee, Madison, Minneapolis, Chicago, etc. etc. Even Des Moines was kicking when I was out there in March.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 6:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I was thinking that between this building, Couture, and NWML Milwaukee's skyline could quickly jump up to something more akin to Minneapolis' in a relatively short time.
in terms of skyline bulk/density, it'll take milwaukee a while to get to a minneapolis level. a new JCI HQ in the 800' range would certainly take milwaukee's skyline to an elite height compared to most other midwest cities, but minneapolis would still be on another level when considering overall skyline size.

300+ ft. buildings:

minneapolis: 33 + 3 U/C + 7 prop.

milwaukee: 10 + 1 U/C + 3 prop.

500+ ft. buildings:

minneapolis: 8

milwaukee: 2 + 1 U/C + 2 prop.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 30, 2015 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 7:10 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Yeah, I was actually going to respond very similarly. Minneapolis' skyline is on a different level. Ya know, Louie is prone to get carried away sometimes.....(I'm sure we'll now here something like - "I wasn't trying to say that ' '' ''' '''' "

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 9:19 PM

When I say "more akin" I mean the general scale of the skyline, not "literally the same as" or "approaching the size of" the Minneapolis skyline. If Milwaukee has an 800'er clustered together with a 600'er and several 500'ers, that is "more akin" to Minneapolis' skyline than it is to the current Milwaukee skyline wouldn't you say?

Milwaukee's skyline is currently extremely "rag tag" because it is incredibly dispersed over a large downtown area. If these towers all get built, that will change. There will actually be a tall, dense, core of the skyline like (as in similar to, not identical to) Minneapolis. That is the sense in which I am saying it will become more like Minneapolis not "the same as" Minneapolis as you are interpreting it.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 5:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
When I say "more akin" I mean the general scale of the skyline, not "literally the same as" or "approaching the size of" the Minneapolis skyline.
well, that's where we disagree. even if JCI and the couture (along with the currently U/C NML tower) are built, i still think that the milwaukee and minneapolis skylines will be at different general scales.

in my opinion, milwaukee would need to build A LOT more highrise stuff in the 300'-500' height range to really fill out, bulk up, and densify its skyline to put it into a similar "general skyline scale" as minneapolis.

but that's really all beside the real point which is, yes, it's potentially a very exciting time for the milwaukee skyline to grow upwards in a very big way. it could be the biggest skyline change in the city's history.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 2, 2015 at 2:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 3:00 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yeah, it's accurate enough to give a good idea of what milwaukee's future skyline will look like should the couture project go forward.

and that image doesn't include the rumored JCI HQ 52-story tower that might stand over the city as its new tallest someday.
Yeah, about that rumored JCI building, any movement/buzz on that Dan?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Yeah, about that rumored JCI building, any movement/buzz on that Dan?
At this time they, JCI and the City, are doing or preparing to do a study on the site to see if it is feasible. The interchange realignment still has almost a year to go before the site is even available and a lot can happen in a year. Plus now that JCI is in the process of spinning off the automotive sector that will have it's own HQ potentially in a different city, hopefully not, who knows what they may do?

But it's a great site and if it can support a massive tower than I'm sure someone will do it, so long as the economy doesn't tank again.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 5:27 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
At this time they, JCI and the City, are doing or preparing to do a study on the site to see if it is feasible. The interchange realignment still has almost a year to go before the site is even available and a lot can happen in a year. Plus now that JCI is in the process of spinning off the automotive sector that will have it's own HQ potentially in a different city, hopefully not, who knows what they may do?

But it's a great site and if it can support a massive tower than I'm sure someone will do it, so long as the economy doesn't tank again.
It's good to know that at least they are in the planning stage for something - thanks for the information!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 10:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

today's news that PoP is not going to appeal the couture decision also bodes well for this potential project.

this is a response to today's news from an SSC forumer who appears to have some insider connections in milwaukee's development industry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhair View Post
I am pretty sure now once that land feasibility for The JCI Tower is okayed we will be all hearing about Milwaukee's tallest soon also. JCI has been patiently awaiting this news also.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 3:06 PM
All man. Half nuts.

i hope if this is a new tallest, it's a tallest by a considerable margin... preferably in the 700' range.

if it comes in at 602', i'll go before ending on

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 3:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^

IF this becomes a real project.

and

IF the rumors of 50+ floors are correct.

then i think we can be fairly confident that this one will stand at least 700' tall, probably closer to the 750' range, if it's flat-roofed.

and with any kind of ornamental crown, spire, and/or other rooftop embellishment, it could easily stand over the 800' mark.

it could potentially even stand as a new tallest in the midwest outside of chicago, beating out cleveland's 947' key tower.

that last part is perhaps not likely, but with a significant crown & spire, it's not out of the realm of possibility either.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 19, 2015 at 3:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 3:19 PM

needhair says he was told a long while back that they intend to do something special with the roof, something that involves the JCI name. It won't just be a flat box top for sure.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 3:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
needhair says he was told a long while back that they intend to do something special with the roof, something that involves the JCI name. It won't just be a flat box top for sure.
if that's the case, then i think it's really unlikely that this tower would stand any less than 800' tall.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 9:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

a forumer over at SSC who attended a downtown conference put on by the milwaukee business journal reported that an official from JCI stated that they would make a decision about potentially moving to a new downtown HQ building "within the next 12 months".

so we'll have to be patient for a little while longer yet to find out if milwaukee might be getting a new tallest building. still, it's good to finally hear about a timeline for when we might learn more.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^

IF this becomes a real project.

and

IF the rumors of 50+ floors are correct.

then i think we can be fairly confident that this one will stand at least 700' tall, probably closer to the 750' range, if it's flat-roofed.

and with any kind of ornamental crown, spire, and/or other rooftop embellishment, it could easily stand over the 800' mark.

it could potentially even stand as a new tallest in the midwest outside of chicago, beating out cleveland's 947' key tower.

that last part is perhaps not likely, but with a significant crown & spire, it's not out of the realm of possibility either.
No offense, but as a Clevelander I hope it doesn't beat out Key Tower. We may not have a lot, but we are proud of the things we do have! And that tower is magnificent to us locals.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals