HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 2:41 PM

South Waterfront Block 43 | Dead

Tentative Schedule of Cases for
Design Commission

3. LU 07-146222 DA Abigail Fowle, 503-823-0624
Applicant: Paul Jeffreys, SERA ARCHITECTS
Site address: 0601 SW Abernethy St
Design Advice for a mixed-use development on Block 43 of South Waterfront.

4. LU 07-151174 DA Kara Fioravanti, 503-823-5892
Applicant: Bruce Brown, GBD ARCHITECTS
Site address: Block bounded by SW Bond Ln, Abernathy and River Pkwy
Design Advice Request for Block 42 in South Waterfront. The proposal is for a 250' tall tower atop a varied podium.
The building wil house approximately 273 apartments and ground level retail, with 3 levels of underground parking.
Parking and loading access will be from Abernathy.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 3:22 PM

"The building wil house approximately 273 apartments." I don't know why, but I'm very amused by this. (Well, I know why I'm amused...)

Last edited by Snowden352; Aug 10, 2007 at 3:22 PM. Reason: Emphasis, dammit!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Tentative Schedule of Cases for
Design Commission

3. LU 07-146222 DA Abigail Fowle, 503-823-0624
Applicant: Paul Jeffreys, SERA ARCHITECTS
Site address: 0601 SW Abernethy St
Design Advice for a mixed-use development on Block 43 of South Waterfront.

4. LU 07-151174 DA Kara Fioravanti, 503-823-5892
Applicant: Bruce Brown, GBD ARCHITECTS
Site address: Block bounded by SW Bond Ln, Abernathy and River Pkwy
Design Advice Request for Block 42 in South Waterfront. The proposal is for a 250' tall tower atop a varied podium.
The building wil house approximately 273 apartments and ground level retail, with 3 levels of underground parking.
Parking and loading access will be from Abernathy.
where did you find that?
heres the map in case anyone forgets the location

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 12:47 AM

isn't block 43 the one that tworivers was hinting about last week?
and 42 - i thought that was prometheus, but i could be wrong.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 4:48 AM

Quote:
isn't block 43 the one that tworivers was hinting about last week?
Yes: Sera. I'll try to get a render asap.

And yeah, I too thought 42 was Prometheus.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 9:16 PM

It seems like all of a sudden renderings and news about southwaterfront are starting to come out fast and furious.

block 43 MORE ABOVE GROUND PARKING http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...166009&c=42263

Proposal:
The applicant seeks design advice for a 22-story mixed-use development on Block 43 in the South Waterfront District. The design includes a full block 4-story podium consisting of ground level commercial uses, 3 levels of above grade parking on floors 2-4 and some residential units. The tower portion will include only residential units. 295 residential units are proposed and approximately 300 parking spaces.

Potential Modifications to Ground Floor Windows and Ground Floor Active Uses along the SW Moody frontage, to Loading Forward Motion and to Drive Aisle and Parking Stall Minimum Dimensions.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 9:34 PM

well, this one is sure to win architectural awards...

Ooooo, I like the MAX in the last render too!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 9:43 PM

Whoa, is it really going to be bright green? Very Wizard of Oz... Also hideous.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 10:27 PM

It could be worse...at least its above 6 stories.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 4:09 AM

Yikes.

My friend at Sera told me they got a rotten egg to work with... but this doesn't look all that much improved. The street sandwiched between the two parking garages --the Alexan's and this one-- is going to be especially pleasant. One thing he mentioned, though, was that with the way they were designing the garage, it could be converted pretty easily to residential in some car-free future.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 4:13 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I think they took the wrong definition of 'green' (architecture).

Quote:
One thing he mentioned, though, was that with the way they were designing the garage, it could be converted pretty easily to residential in some car-free future.
Hmm, that is very interesting. Sounds like they are minimizing the usage of parking ramps then and sticking with flat horizontal floor plates.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 3:24 PM

SoWa: SERA and GBD both propose new towers

Tower designs take emerging district in different direction
As South Waterfront rises, SERA and GBD challenge sea of similarity with materials
POSTED: 06:00 AM PDT Monday, September 17, 2007
BY ALISON RYAN

Both proposed South Waterfront projects the Portland Design Commission saw Thursday are towers on podiums – but building type aside, the two hit different design goals.

SERA Architects’ 250-foot tower, planned for Block 43, puts 22 stories of ivory brick atop a four-story chocolate brick podium.

“This is actually a reaction to the amount of glazing that exists in South Waterfront,” architect Paul Jeffreys said. “We wanted a less commotional look.”

It’s a different materials reaction, Commissioner Andrew Jansky said during the design advice session, and one that may mark the beginning of a shift for South Waterfront.

“As the district develops, people’s attitudes change,” Jansky said. “And five years from now, people will say, ‘We don’t want it to look like this. We want to do something new.’”

Tower, podium and ground floor are conceived as distinct elements, with the vertical “stagger” of the tower window and balcony patterning playing against the horizontal “stagger” of the base, and a transparent ground floor pushing activity at the street level.

“Our direction is to really improve the streetscape, define the streetscape more clearly, and create a more iconic form for that base,” Jeffreys said.

On a neighboring South Waterfront block, GBD Architects’ designs for another 250-foot tower-and-podium building are also redefining the streetscape. The tower, with three subtly stepped levels of metal and glass, sits at mid-block. A collection of podiums of different heights edges the site to the east and west, creating small courtyard spaces to the north and south.

“Shifting the levels was a brilliant move,” Commissioner Lloyd Lindley said. “It added more corners, and an offset in there.”

The tower is primarily glass – the same, or perhaps a little lighter, as used in the district’s Meriwether condominium towers – and the podiums are planned as white panels.

“What we want to do is make a nice transition, in a different way, to the other side of South Waterfront,” architect Steve Domreis said.

The two buildings are the latest in a wave of South Waterfront work that’s appeared before commissioners recently. Ankrom Moisan’s designs for retirement community Mirabella and a two-building apartment project on Block 46 arrived in July and August, respectively. The Alexan, a 22-story apartment building, is under-construction on the site bordering the SERA-designed Block 43.

Contextually, both design teams said, South Waterfront is ever-shifting.

“It’s really a guessing game of what things are going on around you,” SERA’s Jeffreys said.

“Every time back, we have more context to design to,” GBD’s Domreis said.

SERA and GBD are both moving in the right direction with their designs, commissioners said.

And both designs, they said, try something different – massing and podium treatment for GBD, materials and streetscape activity for SERA – in a sea of similarity.

“My personal feeling is that a lot of these buildings are starting to look the same,” Jansky said.
http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...SERA-and-GBD-c

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 7:43 PM

Any renderings?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 4:29 AM

The GBD tower, from the DJC website:

Block 43 Sera renderings have been posted here before in one of the SoWa threads.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 4:48 AM

Block 43:

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 6:02 AM
A before E

they both look a bit uninspiring and boring...I guess the bigger the firm, the more boring the work...which is why I only really want to work for small firms.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 2:08 PM

The architecture in SWF seems to be degrading. We're starting to see the boxy slabs of the Pearl and above ground parking. Its a shame, you would think a architectural firm would want to one up its competition.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 4:50 PM

Hard to tell anything from those renderings... both leave a lot to the imagination... we'll have to wait and see, i guess...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 3:26 AM

Quote:
they both look a bit uninspiring and boring...I guess the bigger the firm, the more boring the work...which is why I only really want to work for small firms.
Not buying that. Among the most prestigious firms in the world, size is an asset: Foster's practice, Piano's, Richard Meier, KPF, etc. All of them are in the hundreds of employees. Even closer to home that doesn't hold a lot of water--Allied Works and BOORA get a good deal of design press and I believe they are sizable (AW 50ish? between NY and PDX and BOORA was in the ballpark in recent memory).

I think the quality of the work is independent of the size of the firm; its an easy target but not an accurate one. Size allows firms to do big work (scale) and a lot of work--but it doesn't preclude design excellence. That is about the people that run the place and the kind of work they attract.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 3:46 AM
Now in Portland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I hope you like doing accessibility upgrades, redesign of existing interior space, and other such small jobs. I can say, based on my own experience working at a small firm, that small firms get a lot of mundane jobs, and bigger-name firms often get the more interesting, higher-budget projects.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland