HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Brookfield Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Calgary Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 6:27 PM

I was just going to update this thread, but surreal has already done so. Exciting news indeed.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 7:51 PM
Acey

Just piliing these thoughts here as they come to me...

-Tall floors... 811 feet would make the east tower 37 feet higher than The Bow but with 2 less floors, unless it doesn't include mech floors?
- Has shadowing of the river been taken into account with that 811 ft? Or is the HS block far enough away that it's not a factor?
- EAP 2 at 40 floors will be 581 ft; given 811 ft for the taller tower I'm now wondering if the 2nd tower will best 41-floor Centennial's 597 feet to be 7th tallest in the city behind its twin, The Bow, Suncor, EAP 1, and Bankers 1/2
- Are they still looking to get at least one tower "in the ground quickly"? If not, what might we be looking at for a timeline of construction?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 8:04 PM

Awesome! I remember traveling 6 hours from Sacko'doom to Calgary when I was young in the 80's and always being in awe of the growing skyline and cranes. Back then, Scotia Centre was dominant! This possible new tallest is in perfect position to balance the skyline more favorably than with Encana Eastward.

As for the failure of EAP, I don't agree either. Leftcoaster, can you provide the links to your info, because the low numbers you're talking about just don't add up.

The first Platinum LEED building in Canada devalued itself immediately just to fill itself up? Remember, it never stood empty. They finished it and very soon it was full.

This whole street was just named the second highest most expensive office space in the country. With 1.1 million sqft fire-saled, how can this be, if EAP settled for what? (As a failure) 60% of the going rate?

That was then, this is now? And who knows what private firms pay exactly in private deals for office space? I'm very curious, that's all. Please let me know more about these costs, because I sure hope no other big Corporations head out to the suburbs of Calgary. Worst case scenario!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 8:33 PM
Editor

shadowing should not be a factor for that location. On the west side of center street, the river immediately winds to the north. Because the Bow was right at the shadowing limit this tower should be able to go higher....even higher than the planned 811 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Just piliing these thoughts here as they come to me...

-Tall floors... 811 feet would make the east tower 37 feet higher than The Bow but with 2 less floors, unless it doesn't include mech floors?
- Has shadowing of the river been taken into account with that 811 ft? Or is the HS block far enough away that it's not a factor?
- EAP 2 at 40 floors will be 581 ft; given 811 ft for the taller tower I'm now wondering if the 2nd tower will best 41-floor Centennial's 597 feet to be 7th tallest in the city behind its twin, The Bow, Suncor, EAP 1, and Bankers 1/2
- Are they still looking to get at least one tower "in the ground quickly"? If not, what might we be looking at for a timeline of construction?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 6:53 AM

Glad to see it's a legitimate 800 footer! I was kinda thinking it might be in the 850' range.... Let's hope it doesn't get chopped down!! Great news!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 5:17 PM
Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
So here's the deal with the new design....

Two towers
- East tower 56 floors 247M (811Ft) making it taller than the Bow.
- West tower is 40 Floors
This sounds so great. I kind of wish it were a single tower. Almost all of our current towers are smaller parcels, so it would be nice to see something a bit larger.

But still, over 800 feet. Sounds excellent.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 5:58 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickheer View Post
This sounds so great. I kind of wish it were a single tower. Almost all of our current towers are smaller parcels, so it would be nice to see something a bit larger.

But still, over 800 feet. Sounds excellent.
Yeah, it would have been nice to see something taller, but in a way we lucked out. They probably kept the number of floors at 56 as any higher and they would have had to add more elevators... A high crown (with lighting feature) on the building put it past the Bow.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 6:01 PM
Editor

Some more info from the Calgary thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibrain View Post
HS Square

As Wooster has previously stated, the project is only slightly different than the previous design. With height being the most obvious change, the project will feature short/tall twins. The towers are not perfect squares, and are slightly rectangular. The East tower will run parallel to 6th Avenue (in the footprint of where the previous tower was supposed to be), and the West tower will run parallel to 2nd Street. Both will be joined by a three storey atrium that features a gigantic gathering space, and a great big staircase (Spanish steps, anyone?) inside. The proposed plaza on 1st Street is still being proposed, with a smaller plaza on the other end of the block (2nd St/7th Avenue). This project will cause the refurbishment/construction of three new +15's.

The buildings resemble the smaller building on the right (rectangular - but not "as" rectangular of course), but with better glass and a nice little feature crown at the top.. I think it's similar to some of the crowns we've seen on projects in China and in Dubai (not a spire).

Another example... HS is a square box building with rounded corners... The glass should turn out like a cross between EAP and Centennial.

As Wooster and Surreal had noted earlier, a DP has been applied for. This is a 2 phase approach, with the East tower going ahead first. I'm not sure they will be ready to start construction for a little while yet. There is still some issues with the zonings for what they want to do..

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 6:10 PM
Editor

Some more info from Calgary thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Similar to WFC but without the PoMo glass arches. The glass atrium feature is quite striking and large. Think world's largest Apple store glass cube.

The crown is a bit hard to describe. Imagine clear glass extending about 4 storeys above the top of the top floor, then stick a glass bowl inside it with some interesting lighting.

There is a fair amount of retail on the ground floor fronting the plaza, as well as at 7th/2nd and along 2nd ave. Also on the +15 level. There is a little kiosk at the corner of 7th and 1st.

Cladding was nice. simple.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 7:01 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Thread title has been updated.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 7:10 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Thread title has been updated.
Thanks Xelebes!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 7:23 PM
Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Yeah, it would have been nice to see something taller, but in a way we lucked out.
Taller would've been nice, but a bigger footprint would be even better. Something that looks massive.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 7:50 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Taller would've been nice, but a bigger footprint would be even better. Something that looks massive.
We already have the Bow looking every bit as massive as necessary right now, it will be nice to have a slimmer tower near it.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 9:02 PM

Been there done that.

Quote:

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
As for the failure of EAP, I don't agree either. Leftcoaster, can you provide the links to your info, because the low numbers you're talking about just don't add up.

The first Platinum LEED building in Canada devalued itself immediately just to fill itself up? Remember, it never stood empty. They finished it and very soon it was full.
This isn't a peer reviewed paper, private landlords don't just publish their incomes for anyone to see. I happen to have access to inside information but I can in no way share it for a variety of reasons. Suffice to say you don't fire an entire development team with years of experience for successfully completing a project...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 9:37 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Here's my crappy MS Paint showing the new height of Herald Square with the rendering on the diagrams page:

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 12:05 AM

Poor Calgary Tower... I remember going up it when it was the tallest structure there... Somethings going to have to be done about that

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 12:07 AM
Round Head

I like how 3 of the 4 tallest will be new towers.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 5:55 PM

Well, the Calgary Tower still provides great views, and it still has a bar, right? It should also provide a fantastic view of the construction of this new project, and its end result. (Ahem, again/further pointing out the diminishing status/role of the CalgaryT). Oh well. That's progress!

Does anyone really want a new super-tall lookout stand-alone tower in Calgary? I don't like the look of the ones in the Southern Hemisphere. But maybe they could build a cool-shaped office cone around this tower with the peak remaining the same. (Think Vancouver Harbour Centre 21st Century/Calgary Tower/ Shanghai Tower morph.)... And that cute little flame from the '88 Olympics still remains the same....

I hope this Thread proposal goes ahead like many a one in T.O., whereby they get approved, and then get additionally approved for more height. Okay, give this baby the 247M, but then approve another 15M down the road. Come on, Calgary, you know you want it.... :>)

LeftCoaster, I got it. I'm in film, and sometimes the crew, or a whole department, has just gotta go. 'Nuff said.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 10:11 PM
Editor

Bigtime, Bokimon and I Had a look at the renderings for 225 - 6th ave today. I agree with what others have said...it's improved over the other design, especially at street level. The winter garden type space in between the buildings 'Brookfield Place' looks great. Wooster summed it up best...... WFC atrium meets NYC Apple store. The plaza on the corner of the block 7th ave/1st Street looks nicer than before, and also will be used as a skating rink in the winter

The description of the glazing being a cross between EAP and Centennial (West side) is pretty accurate. Picture EAP glazing, but no protruding mullions, and instead a smooth surface. The corners of the building start off sharp on the lowest floor and as you go higher the corners get progressively curved. By the time you hit the top of the building, the corners look very much like HSBC in London. Between the corners and the glazing.......this building looks like a cross between Comcast (Philly) and HSBC (London).

What struck me most was the gallery area between the buildings, and the street level design. It's a huge improvement over the previous design. The tower looks similar, but is also an improvement IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive