HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 1:54 AM
Closed account

Steel Work Studios

Are they not going to use this building as a studio anymore? I see a for lease sign in front of the building now.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 6:53 AM
Wiki Ricki

....never mind.

Last edited by Boomtown_Hamilton; Jun 29, 2008 at 7:32 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 1:30 PM
Closed account

Ah c'mon, Boomtown. You can give us a little more insight than that, can't you? Is Steel Works still operational?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 2:29 PM
Closed account

I haven't seen any vehicles around and now I see the for lease sign up. It isn't looking good at least to me. I was hoping it would have taken off. I guess not.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 6:01 PM
Wiki Ricki

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Ah c'mon, Boomtown. You can give us a little more insight than that, can't you? Is Steel Works still operational?
Yes Helen, if I wanted to I would be able to give some insight BUT what would I have to gain from it?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 4:06 PM
Closed account

Just heard - Steel Works is definitely kaput. Can't say I'm surprised.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 4:26 PM
Closed account

That didn't surprise me either. The location wasn't that great to begin with.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 11:22 PM
Closed account

I'm surprised they aren't going to bring this to Hamilton and use this building for this. As I am sure that building was soundproofed. Maybe in time they will. Would be great if they did.

Wheel of Fortune coming to Canada

It's essentially the game of hangman, with a giant roulette wheel.
But the simplicity of "Wheel of Fortune" has brought it millions of fans and made it a ratings blockbuster for over 25 years.
After a quarter century helming the series, hosts Pat Sajak and Vanna White bring the show to the CBC next month and mark the occasion with a Canadian-themed show set for October.
The bulk of the puzzles will have something to do with the Great White North, says the affable Sajak, who taped the episodes last week.
"It gave us a chance to sort of spend the week sort of officially welcoming CBC aboard," Sajak said Tuesday by phone from Los Angeles.
"We made a daily mention of it and did some Canadian fun facts, because, I'm sure you know, a lot of Americans are not necessarily well-versed in what goes on north of their border. We had fun with that."
The episodes will air Oct. 13-17, and feature prizes including trips to Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and Whistler, B.C.
When it airs, the Maple Leaf quiz will have come a month into the game show's jump to the public broadcaster.
CBC announced the acquisition, along with CTV staple "Jeopardy!", earlier this year amid complaints from some who questioned why the public broadcaster had bought two big American game shows.
At the time, Kirstine Layfield, executive director of network programming, brushed off the criticism, saying the CBC would remain well within its American content limits and that homegrown fare like "Little Mosque On the Prairie," "Sophie," and "The Tudors" would return.
Sajak, 61, says he's been amazed by the ongoing appeal of "Wheel", which debuted in 1983 to strong ratings and never looked back. While the nature of TV game shows has changed dramatically over the years, Sajak notes that "Wheel" has remained consistent in style and tone, and suggests that may have been the key to its success.
"There's a lot of sort of making fun of people and putting them in embarrassing situations," he notes of other TV games that have capitalized on a reality show trend.
"I think one of the attractions of our show is its pretty benign on that level. I think we treat our players with respect, we have fun and we laugh and all that but we're not putting them there to make fun of them, we'll have fun with them and I think people recognize that."
Aside from hosting "Wheel," Sajak heads P.A.T. Productions, runs a music publishing company, owns two radio stations in Maryland and creates and sells his own line of games through PatSajakGames.com.
"Since I'm in the game show world I figure I may as well exploit it as much as possible," he says of his many endeavours.
He also produces another winning successful game show in Taiwan, where contestants combine the skill of Blackjack with bowling.
"It's the biggest game show in Taiwan, it's called `Blackjack Bowling' and it's very funny," Sajak says. "We're doing very well with that."
There's no word on when that show will come to Canada.
The new season of "Wheel of Fortune" debuts Sept. 8 at 5:30 p.m. across the country, 6 p.m. in Newfoundland, while "Jeopardy" begins Sept. 8 at 7:30 p.m.

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/417329

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 1:25 AM
Closed account

Steelworks was not an adequate studio space. It could never have accommodated a tv show. That's one of the reasons it failed.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 2:59 AM
Closed account

True enough Highwater.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues