HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 3:42 PM

I know Bermingham will eventually need to move out of their offices next door, as I was told in a job interview with them about a year ago.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 4:57 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
You guys need to get out more for better beer. lol. Nickel Brook makes some very good beer, and it's great news that we're going to have a local craft brewery here.
Yes it's very good news, for Nickel Brook and Hamilton.

I've tried a lot of Ontario craft beers. I've found something I really like from just about every brewery, but I've also found many brews I didn't - mainly the ones that were too hoppy for my tastes... I just can't get past the bitterness, if it's more than mild.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 8:02 PM

I went to a beer and dinner pairing event in Burlington last night. It was held at the Lakefront Hotel, where several owners of this regions craft breweries including Nicklebrook spoke. The plans at the old Lakeport location sounded promising, but to my disappointment he had little civic pride. He knew nothing about Supercrawl and said he wasn't sure about participating. He also snobbed the idea of being in Hamilton to the whole audience, but continued telling us what a great place his brewery will become. His attitude was disappointing, I thought he would have at least faked a positive spin on things for his own sake. Hope he starts seeing the pride we have.

Last edited by Pearlstreet; Feb 7, 2015 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlstreet View Post
I went to a beer and dinner tasting night out in Burlington last night. It was held at the Lakefront Hotel, where owners of this regions craft breweries including Nicklebrook spoke. The plans at the old Lakeport location sounded promising, but to my disappointment he had little civic pride. He knew nothing about Supercrawl and said he wasn't sure about participating. He also snobbed the idea of being in Hamilton to the whole audience, but continued telling us what a great place his brewery will become. His attitude was disappointing, I thought he would have at least faked a positive spin on things for his own sake.

Bitter sweet victory here. Hope he starts seeing the pride we have.
If he thinks hamilton is so bad why doesnt he open up his great brewery elsewhere? With that attitude and lack of knowledge of the up and coming trends and events in the city this guy is bound to fail.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 8:40 PM

I'm spreading the word about this. Did he think no one would hear his comments and call him on it?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 10:18 PM

That negative talk towards the city really needs to stop - especially from someone in his position addressing an audience. Makes me not want to support his business.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 11:31 PM

That's disappointing, but I'm more excited to see how he'll handle the backlash. Businesses don't succeed here unless they've got community support, and with something this large (and expensive) he really ought to mind what he says, especially this early on in his venture.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 11:33 PM

I posted this item on a beer-focused list called HOZER.

People there are supportive of John at Nickel Brook. One person wrote:

"I do know john from nickelbrook and hes a super awesome dude. Likely an oversight. "

Another person wrote:

"A longtime Burlington resident, his vision does not focus on pride in a specific city, but instead on being able to produce beer that is well regarded and sold throughout Ontario. He’s also very accessible and can be counted on to listen. If you were unhappy with his presentation, it would be worth calling him and letting him know. You might be surprised by his response"

So Pearlstreet, maybe you'd fire off an email to him? Let him know that you're disappointed with his comments, and others are as well.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 5:08 PM

Maybe he was just saying what he thought a Burlington audience wanted to hear. Disappointing though.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Maybe he was just saying what he thought a Burlington audience wanted to hear. Disappointing though.
Yeah, it was not a Hamilton crowd, but Nicklebrook is from next door Burlington.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:14 AM

So Pearlstreet, maybe you'd fire off an email to him? Let him know that you're disappointed with his comments, and others are as well.

I sent one to the Nicklebrook website. I mentioned that I hope he participates in Supercrawl and that he can join the intense civic pride. It seems too easy to do when they already do functions like that regularly, like Burlington's beerfest. He did seem like a cool guy, don't get me wrong. Very entertaining speaker, but the comments irked me like it would do to any Hamiltonian.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlstreet View Post
Yeah, it was not a Hamilton crowd, but Nicklebrook is from next door Burlington.
Sometimes I find that Burlingtonians aren't particularly pro-Hamilton and if anything don't like being associated with Hamilton. Not all of them by any means, but some of them.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Sometimes I find that Burlingtonians aren't particularly pro-Hamilton and if anything don't like being associated with Hamilton. Not all of them by any means, but some of them.
Yup, they'd rather be part of Toronto than Hamilton.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:39 AM

I'm surprised - I know they're making a music venue as part of their new brewery so I thought they would be community minded. They obviously intend to have some kind of programming as well as making and selling beer. Regardless of their attitude, I will buy the beer if and only if it's good. And the bar has been set high by some great Ontario brewers. I won't pay for an inferior product no matter how local it is. That's why I haven't been buying Nickel Brook so far.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 5:00 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
True.

I also find that when I tell people where I live (usually Torontonians, urban and suburban - I've worked in downtown Toronto for a long time) they're quick to say something like "well, at least you're not in Hamilton"... then I mention where I was born and lived for 2/3 of my life and they usually backtrack. Some even ask about what it's really like, admitting they have never actually been to the city.

Good things are happening, but it will take a long time before the negative associations many still have about Hamilton are dispelled.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 10:51 AM

^I'm not sure it's about Hamilton changing but about GTAers/ Torontonians adjusting their world view. Can't see that happening, quite frankly.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
I'm surprised - I know they're making a music venue as part of their new brewery so I thought they would be community minded. They obviously intend to have some kind of programming as well as making and selling beer. Regardless of their attitude, I will buy the beer if and only if it's good. And the bar has been set high by some great Ontario brewers. I won't pay for an inferior product no matter how local it is. That's why I haven't been buying Nickel Brook so far.
If you're into big, flavourful, boozy stouts, you should really give their Kentucky Bastard a try. It's fantastic.

Most of Nickel Brook's stuff is in the "pretty okay" range, but I'm a big fan of Creative Arts, so I've got high hopes.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy