HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 2:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

For me, making the city big leagues is rapid transit. Not bus rapid transit, but grade-separated light rail, or whatnot.

I would prefer to have an IKEA than not have an IKEA, but I wouldn't be devastated if it did not materialize. I worry a bit about more hollowing out, as the usual bric-a-brac big box and strip malls that would pop up around a new IKEA would suck even more life out of White Oaks, Westmount, and existing retail plazas.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 2:24 PM

^Remember the Pen Equity plan to build another big box crap development beside Costco? There are a lot of people against that plan to steal stores from White Oaks, etc to go into another soulless big box development. Having said that, I think IKEA, maybe Bass Pro, some entertainment concept would be a perfect fit on that site.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 9:21 PM

IKEA is closing the pickup store in London.

https://lfpress.com/business/local-b...-at-months-end

Wonder if that is the nail in the coffin for the full store at Wellington-401 development now?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 9:57 PM
sketchy dude

there is a cell tower getting moved because it is "in the way of construction". Hopefully that means construction will pick up.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
IKEA is closing the pickup store in London.

https://lfpress.com/business/local-b...-at-months-end

Wonder if that is the nail in the coffin for the full store at Wellington-401 development now?
It would have closed if the IKEA opened anyway, so I don't think it's a sign either way. From the comments on the Free Press article, it sounds like most people found it cheaper to get home delivery than to pay to go to the PUP. I went there once to check it out, and never bothered to order anything. We bought a couple items they stocked there, but that was it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 12:37 AM

Story I just read is all Pickup stores in Ontario are closing, 5 in total.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:35 PM

A week or so ago Ed Holder (Mayor of London) was on CBC Radio and was specifically asked about IKEA and whether or not the full store was coming. He tried to side-step the question and didn't really respond in any way.

I don't think the closures of the pickup point in London is truly related to the provision of a full store, as all 5 of these locations in Canada (all in Ontario) are being closed.

I still London is a good geographic spot for an IKEA, although I recognize there has been changes in the market from an online / in-store perspective.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy