HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 12:00 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 1:12 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

929 Richmond | 61m | 19f | Proposed

The proposed application is to permit the development of a mixed-use building comprising 176 rental units with ground floor commercial uses. The proposed height of the building is 61 metres or 19 storeys. The property is located on the north-west corner of Richmond Road and Woodroffe Avenue in the Woodroffe-Lincoln Heights neighbourhood of Ottawa.

An earlier Applications for a minor zoning amendment to permit a building height of 47 metres and site plan control were approved in 2015 for a condominium apartment development. Following initial marketing as a condominium, the owner has changed direction and is now proposing a residential rental apartment building with commercial ground floor uses.

The proposed development will comprise 176 rental residential units ranging from bachelor, one bedroom and two bedroom units, associated amenity space, and two ground floor commercial spaces. Surface and underground parking is proposed. 14 surface parking spaces are proposed in an outdoor lot at the rear of the building, 4 outdoor bicycle spaces. The underground garage will comprise 120 parking spaces and 190 bicycle parking spaces. The proposed design of the building incorporates varying building heights ranging from two to nineteen storeys.

Development application:
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__AU5875

Streetview:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.37757...7i13312!8i6656

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 1:13 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

[yawn]

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 1:22 PM
^now West Centretown

Disappointing and bland compared to the previous proposal, but still a good use of the site.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 1:42 PM
Living With My Mother

This site deserves better. But the people of Ottawa have spoken - and they don’t want better.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 1:46 PM
^now West Centretown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
This site deserves better. But the people of Ottawa have spoken - and they don’t want better.
Too many people in Ottawa buying disposable houses slapped up hastily outside the greenbelt, and getting in their cars to go everywhere, doing nothing to make our city better as a collective place to live or visit.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:24 PM

Quote:
the people of Ottawa have spoken - and they don’t want better.
I don't recall this being put to a vote.

I like the wandering and disappearing trees along the driveway to the surface lot at the back (especially the one that's smack in the middle of the driveway in the first rendering looking north).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 7:22 PM
Haru Urara

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
Disappointing and bland compared to the previous proposal, but still a good use of the site.
My thoughts on this as well. Uninspired design but better use of site, average height, and increases residents in the area.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Better than what?

What's wrong with this?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 12:07 AM

If we'd never seen the original proposal, this would look pretty decent. As it stands, it's a big step beck.

Same developer?

Somewhat off topic, but I wish Stage 2 LRT would have added a station at Woodroffe in addition to the Cleary and New Orchard. We're missing a huge opportunity for redevelopment and transit integration at this intersection.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Better than what?

What's wrong with this?
Have a look at page 2 of this thread for a good render of the original proposal.

It was to have been a rather interesting building with big windows and height set-backs, unlike the new boxy version that looks like just about any rental building anywhere. Unfortunately the Ottawa condo market is pretty saturated so apparently we have to settle for cheap.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa